Josh Dowling Designs

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Josh Dowling Designs

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:31 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freshiedude
Grommet

Post by Freshiedude » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:05 am

Yes stoked to win the board. Finding my other JD boards are a little small at the moment - need to lose some weight so this will be perfect. Now I have to fund the board so if any one is interested in a near new 6'2 Mccoy Astron Zot single fin send me a PM.

Freshiedude
Grommet

Post by Freshiedude » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:36 am

Sorry guys but having a problem with the PM replys staying in my outbox? Anyone interested in the Mccoy Astron Zot 6'2 email me: [email protected]
Cheers

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:25 pm

come on Josh more eye candy please ... reach under the shelf and dig out the hardcore pics ... I am getting desperate .. still haven't ridden mine but have rubbed it a million times and have got callouses under my armpits from picking it up , putting it under my arm, and doing that weighing jiggle thing that all us surfers in the know do to work out if it's a good board or not

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:05 pm

Hey Bohdi...I've had the most bullshit flu for a week...Ko'd me, and now I'm scrambling to make up time.

But back at it now, so there's 9 on the go at various boring stages. You like watching resin go hard?

Now get ya hand off it and go surfing mon!!!!

Josh

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:14 pm

yes hmmm the flu ... while mere mortals cough and splutter their way through the day I stand in defiance of said lurgy refusing the get sick .. my wife had it last week and I just said nothing safe in the knowledge that the flu is for women and pansies ....Josh when u feel well enough and have tool back in hand (planer that is) show us some of ur wares

anglesurf

Post by anglesurf » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:08 pm

First time poster. That zap just up the page is mine. Looks bloody awesome Josh! Realsurf finally came through with my account so I can join in on the forum! I'm loving the look of it! I'll post a pick of the board its taken off, once this one is complete. Can't wait to get it, I'm frothing big time. But as you know there is no hurry! :D

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:14 pm

Hey mate, glad you could join. Elitist mob those admin dudes...

Of course there's a hurry! I have to clear the racks for MY new-un...Oooh, what will I have this time???

Josh
http://www.joshdowlingshape.com

huie
Local

Post by huie » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:03 am

[quote][/quote]Of course there's a hurry! I have to clear the racks for MY new-un...Oooh, what will I have this time???

hmm i was going to try to convert you to ride the high line in cruise mode :lol:

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:16 am

Ok here we go. Had the JD Slot Machine out today for the first time.....I just dont know where to start. Paddling out it felt a lot narrower than it actually is which concerned me a bit and the nose when paddling was right up and out of the water due to the significant nose rocker and a bit more volume. All of this just different to my other boards so like all human beings something new causes slight anxiety. Waves were good today. Very clean 4-5 ft peaky goodness. Virtually no wind. First wave was a peaky right hander and I just paddled in nice and easy trying to maintain awareness so I could "learn" the board asap.....I just knew it was great board from the start. The channels bit in and it felt so nice under foot but when it came time to cut back it is just sooooo smooth and effortless. I might be wrong and I am sure the snuffly JD will jump in here, but the extra rocker seems to overide the channels when needed so she doesnt track. It turns real easy and makes my backhand surfing look almost passable. I rode it as a quad using PC5's up front and GXQ's down the back. I reckon you could get away with smaller fins due to the channels....farrk I love channels, it just gives a board pin point direction and drive to get where you need to go. Only got a couple of right handers but mostly lefts so was on my backhand but you can just push this board so hard and it pushes right back and doesnt lose momentum. Sincerely if this board was a dog I would say....but its a keeper for sure and will be my go to board on good days or indo trips. Everything felt right , the weight. the rails, even the rocker...Josh is a true guru shaper and if your fortunate enough to get your hands on one then you should feel lucky.

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:22 pm

Oooh, Guru...I like that. I could be like Bagwan-Rajneeshi, with Hench-women and stuff...

But seriously Bohdi - I'm stoked beyond belief, and I hope the Slot Machine keeps you stoked for a very good while...I'll be into hearing some ongoing feedback - particularly quad vs. thruster.

But enuff accolades and back to work...

Brandons fins...this whole package is still blowing my foofer-valve - I have a similar set in the pipeline for my own board next...
Brandon_fns_one_s.jpg
And Bobs two new-uns all spiffyed up...what spray for Friday the 13th!
bob63_skulls_one_s.jpg
bob63_skulls_two_s.jpg
bob66_skulls_two_s.jpg
bob66_skulls_one_s.jpg
And Huie...I'll not need much convincing mate...I've been riding some big oldy-goodys, clicking back the frenetic dial a few notches, and loving it.

Josh

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:26 pm

speedneedle wrote:
zap_two_s.jpg
Josh
Josh, that big winged single fin up there, what are the performance characteristics/differences compared to a more standard raked single fin shape.

On a second note, such great looking boards!
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

bwillisjones

Post by bwillisjones » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:41 pm

Hey Josh, the boards look sick!!! and the timing is classic :lol: can't wait to get my hands on them :D . Cheers Bob.

anglesurf

Post by anglesurf » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:58 pm

Hey Josh, Bobs boards are looking very nice! Love the spray for Friday the 13th as well! They look hot! cheers Andrew

anglesurf

Post by anglesurf » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:12 pm

Josh, that big winged single fin up there, what are the performance characteristics/differences compared to a more standard raked single fin shape.
G'day Capt. I don't want to still The main mans thunder! However I have had a lot of experience with the star/winged fin. I got one when they first came out in 83' & stuck it on my lasor Zap. I've had it on quite afew different boards as well. The main difference between the star & an ordinary single fin is the grip they achieve on the wave. They are great for cutbacks and powerful turns. They are very fast, & if your board has flyers or wings they seem to make the board feel looser or have more drive. A couple of drawbacks that I have found are that they can get held up in the lip(Too much grip) on certain waves, also your legrope tends to get caught on it too. The tail lift/rocker can affect the performance ( making the wings point in a slightly wrong direction) but the boards I have had it on have been really fast.
If your bottom is fairly flat through the tail it will work wonders. They go very well on Longboards as well but thats a whole other story.
Sorry Josh - I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on them too.

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:08 am

I bow to Andrews experience here with the Starfin -

Though I rode loads of singles and tried (read tried...) to base some of my earliest shapes on Cheynes McCoys, I never rode a Starfin.

However, what sense I make of it in theory is this - The wings compensate for the lack of rake - A straight-up and down fin will be pivotal, that is, loose, but lack drive. With the Star fin the wing tip remains vertical and deep in the water when the rail is deeply banked through turns, creating drive.

One comment I remember that also makes sense is - the hold is so great from the wings that its impossible to bust air on a starfin! Its like the downward force of the wings at the nose of a F1 car.

I was there on the hill at Bells in '87 when Cheyne won riding a Starfin on a Terry Fitz shape, and I can say this - Nothing if not fast!

Josh

dazbloke

Post by dazbloke » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:32 pm

OK JD ... fess up ..... There is a battery charger clamp attached to Brands new fin ...... is this a new breakthrough technique for "livening" up the engine room ....... :lol:
- "i never say too much because I haven't got anything to say" - Tom Curren

dolfn
Grommet

Post by dolfn » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:32 pm

I know it has been along time coming, but I've been meaning to sit down and comment on my latest JD Shape for awhile and now I'm actually going to do it.

As you can all see from past threads, I have now got quite a collection going. I have three in my quiver, my fourth is a minimal which I bought for the misses last Xmas.

The latest in my collection is a 5'10" by 18 1/4" (not the 18 3/4" as stated on the JD website) allrounder.

http://joshdowlingshape.com/customwicke ... icked.html

I've had this board about 3-4 months now and I must admit, that until recently, I haven't really been taking it out much. Probably for a couple of reasons, firstly, for the most part , everytime I seem to have been able to go out, the waves have been on the small side and secondly, I have been so into surfing my "flying saucer"http://joshdowlingshape.com/customflyin ... aucer.html, that I haven't felt the urger to take the sled out.

Anyway I have just got back from my annual trip to the mid north coast and managed to have a number of really sick sessions on the sled and I am now wondering why I have been reluctant to take it out earlier.

This stick just flies. Seems to paddle easier that the saucer, even though it probably has less volume. Put a set of Shapers SYU-4 fins on it. just loose enough to make it nice and twichy, but with enough drive for down the line speed.

Couple of soft pumps one this board then down the face on a nice punchy wall and this board just flies. Makes me think my saucer might be a tad big, as there is no way I can change direction on it anywhere near as quick as the sled. Have had the Sled out no in a range of waves, from 1ft windswell to 5-6' walling point break. This board is the most fun to ride in all these conditions over my other two and definitely far superior to my Firewire (which is gathering dust) and My Sunova(in the inlaws garage on the Sunny coast).

As with all my JDs, the craftmanship is unrivalled and the artwork is sick. I showed a couple of Surf rep guys my Saucer, a few weeks ago, at Scotts head(they were there for the Loggerheads comp) They were very impressed with the build and craftsmanship, they raved about the rail and structure and the way the nose and tail caps were constructed. They also told me that Taj doesn't usually ride a firewire, he rides traditional PU shapes sprayed up to look like FWs. Can anyone add comment to this statement.

Anyway so happy with my latest JD shape. By far my best so far. Me thinks maybe a smaller saucer might be needed for summer. Maybe with a fuller rail, but with a flat to concave deck, QUAD perhaps????????