Durable Boards

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

yomutha
Grommet

Durable Boards

Post by yomutha » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:28 pm

Hmmmm I've snapped my third board... While I could just get a new PU with stronger glassing, I'm looking at some new tech!

I've been looking at all the epoxys and stuff so now I'm looking at either an Aviso or a Sunova... Not really into the Firewires...

Has anyone had either type of board? If so, which one rode better/was more durable? Don't really care about how much they cost... If they're durable enough I'll be saving money!

Cheers fellas

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:02 pm

Plenty of choice out there Yo ! Couple of threads on here you might find worth a read . :? Sunova's , Firewires, Aviso , Coil , XTR tech, and plenty of lesser known guys like Josh Dowling doing their own compsand thing . Don't know how far you have looked into this tech but I'd recommend you look at the boards in person if you can and get a idea of what a model may look like as rails can tend to be a bit different to the norm PU boards. :wink:

huie
Local

Post by huie » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:34 pm

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:14 pm

It looks it...but I wouldn't advise trying to save cash in getting a demo!

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:35 pm

the challenge now is finding one of these backyard compsand guys who is also a top of the line shaper.

i wish simon would have a play with the tech and maybe partner with someone willing to do the construction.

that is my dream .. it won't be happening in a hurry though.

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:32 pm

wanto wrote:the challenge now is finding one of these backyard compsand guys who is also a top of the line shaper.

i wish simon would have a play with the tech and maybe partner with someone willing to do the construction.

Thats the conundrum isnt it :roll:

Hopefully I'm one step closer to finding the shaper that can produce " da good shit" with the compsand construction .

huie
Local

Post by huie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:54 pm

hey guys after 50 yrs i can shape a surfboard
but as i have said on this forum before
i don't do custom orders i just do r& d
however the cdd blank can be machine shaped to any file
it can be glassed in a standard configuration
or it can be skinned & glassed as a compsand
many ways to skin this cat
the major development for me is its strength to weight
the response from test riders is the ride
our compsand guy in vic is josh dowling
or boards can be cut on the aps and built compsand or standard
at the currumbin factory

more info if required
huie

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:10 pm

wanto wrote:the challenge now is finding one of these backyard compsand guys who is also a top of the line shaper.

Yeah I hear you wanto. Imagine a parabolic railed Simon with a nice dense blank for a bit of weight. Surely it would make sense to shape em up in eps and let someone else epoxy them and sell them for $900?? Must be more money in that than SXE's for $550 on sale, or is there??

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:12 am

i've got one from sunova that has strengths and weaknesses - when the conditions suit it perfectly, and it's surfed how it likes to be surfed, it goes as well as a good simon. it's less rounded - does some things shockingly bad (late take-offs) and other things amazingly well (full face gouges, roundhouses).

admittedly it's only bert's 2nd attempt at making me a good board, but i simply can't afford to keep trying that angle, especially when it takes 6-8 months to get a board made.

i also can't afford to keep getting simons and snapping them a month later.

so huie, tell me more....

the blanks can be shaped to any computer file

BUT!

the guy shaping the blank has to take a lot into account with the new materials and construction.

bert raves on about going wider and thinner especially in the rails, flatter with more flex for the rocker to bend in.

how much of this is bert's preference, how much is actual science i don't know, but who ever shapes the boards will have to make their own mind up on what should be changed in the shape to compensate the tech.

it's no short learning curve, so for the time being getting a magic compsand isn't simple.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:55 am

you guy are missreading me
cdd blank is all about custom building the blank to the shapers required specs do you realy understand what composite sandwich construction is
cdd is nothing like berts tech
it is the new tech
& yes simon could use this blank no problem
a 2.5 kg std shape will last 5 times a std pu pe
guys you are breakin my balls here i am only the designer l o l

[/b]

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:53 am

interesting - what would it take to make that happen?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:20 am

wanto wrote:bert raves on about going wider and thinner especially in the rails, flatter with more flex for the rocker to bend in.

how much of this is bert's preference, how much is actual science i don't know, but who ever shapes the boards will have to make their own mind up on what should be changed in the shape to compensate the tech.
wanto I wouldn't get too hung up on this question. What Bert's talking about there is just his personal preference as a surfer.

Think most really good designers' work needs little or no tweaking to do just fine with really good new materials stuff. The things (foil, bottom shape, rocker entry and exit etc) that make 'em work in PU/PE usually seem to work even better on conversion to compsand/epoxy/etc.

You do end up making little tweaks here and there -- for myself I've found you can lose a little bit of concave depth with the eps/rail-stringered boards 'cause they're lively enough as it is -- but they're the kinda tweaks that tend to happen with every new board anyway, nothing radical.

Fins do seem to matter more though, I guess 'cause they have to control the volume differently, slightly deeper fins with more tip area seem to help lightweight compsand boards work to their strengths a bit more.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:26 pm

[quote="wanto"] - does some things shockingly bad (late take-offs) and

Wanto I've thought about going the Sunova route but waiting 6-8 months and perhaps not liking the new tech is a bridge too far for me.....I also don't have wads of hundred dollar bills to spend on a board that may not work for me.
I'm only interested in the new tech for small wave boards...I've got no problem riding well glassed pu/pe semi-guns .
Having a good wave board not handle a late-take off is not an option for any kind of even semi-serious wave.
What were the dims of your Sunova?
I'd like to try an early-mid eighties style thruster (say a Red Beauty kind of thing) in the new tech as a fish alternative for small surf.
Steve

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:45 pm

steve shearer wrote:
wanto wrote: - does some things shockingly bad (late take-offs) and

Wanto I've thought about going the Sunova route but waiting 6-8 months and perhaps not liking the new tech is a bridge too far for me.....I also don't have wads of hundred dollar bills to spend on a board that may not work for me.
I'm only interested in the new tech for small wave boards...I've got no problem riding well glassed pu/pe semi-guns .
Having a good wave board not handle a late-take off is not an option for any kind of even semi-serious wave.
What were the dims of your Sunova?
I'd like to try an early-mid eighties style thruster (say a Red Beauty kind of thing) in the new tech as a fish alternative for small surf.
Steve
My CDD/epoxy was sort of designed from 'Red Beauty' or the flyer, a design I used to copy a bit back in the late 80's , early 90's ... 8) its going great...love the foam and how it feels so lively and responsive... :D

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:22 pm

Hey Steve,

Is that Steve Shearer like Lennox76?

These shots are a selection of composites all hand-built by me...

http://s364.photobucket.com/albums/oo85 ... lingshape/

I'm building one for DV8 right now right here in Vic...The woody kneeboard is the latest one finished, the first for me on my own again.

I'm doing very reasonable turnaround times.

PM me for credentials.

Josh

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:37 pm

if you are looking at something a bit stronger ive heard some incredible feedback on the TL2 Fiberflex boards, the Insight ones in particular

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:19 pm

lambert wrote:if you are looking at something a bit stronger ive heard some incredible feedback on the TL2 Fiberflex boards, the Insight ones in particular
TL2 Fibreflex?? WTF has Hayden sold out?? Got to be a typo.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:50 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.