TL2's

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

daleknowles
regular

TL2's

Post by daleknowles » Wed May 14, 2008 8:20 am

I will soon be 30, and to ease the pain, I am buying myself a board. I am pretty certain that I am going to buy a 6'3" Bushman in the TL2 (the pancho sullivan board). I surf predominately rocky point breaks, shoulder high and fast, this seems like a good fit, any thoughts, particularily regarding the TL2 technology? (oh, I'm 6'2" 170lb and intermediate level, that is, no airs, but can throw down some decent turns)

PS on another thread a few weeks ago I promised to post a pic of my 2.25 fin, ancient fish, I'm pretty sure it's an early 80's board designed for the south shore of hawaii, and my 7'2" 80's board designed for the north shore, my digi-cam is busted, so I havn't been able to, but I will.

Thanks

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed May 14, 2008 10:01 am

30 :shock: you make it sound like a mid-life crisis.

Only seen one TL2 close, but not of a performance variety, they seem strong DK, trust your instincts.

lamesville
Grommet

Post by lamesville » Wed May 14, 2008 12:07 pm

i saw a TL2 the other day and dead-set it looked like it had been sitting in the sun for the last 5 years. the thing was THAT brown and weathered.
Dunno how they ride but the thing looked ugly. Just saying....

bojanglez
regular

Post by bojanglez » Wed May 14, 2008 2:18 pm

D.K - I heard 30 is the new 21... :shock: :wink: :?: hope so, coz i just turned dirty 30 yesterday ha ha ha

Haven't seen these TL2 boards, but mate you definitely won't feel any older once you cross into the "THIRTIES" and your surfing deffo shouldn't suffer either :)

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:09 pm

lamesville wrote:i saw a TL2 the other day and dead-set it looked like it had been sitting in the sun for the last 5 years. the thing was THAT brown and weathered.
Dunno how they ride but the thing looked ugly. Just saying....
Does anyone else have the same experience with TL2's? I am thinking of picking one up but would be reluctant if the thing went brown in a couple of months.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:54 pm

bohdidontsurf wrote:Does anyone else have the same experience with TL2's? I am thinking of picking one up but would be reluctant if the thing went brown in a couple of months.
Think the material they use is off white from the outset, bohdi. Have seen one by my Alzheimer's is kickin’ in and I can’t remember. Either that or they may use an amber epoxy.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:20 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
bohdidontsurf wrote:Does anyone else have the same experience with TL2's? I am thinking of picking one up but would be reluctant if the thing went brown in a couple of months.
Think the material they use is off white from the outset, bohdi. Have seen one by my Alzheimer's is kickin’ in and I can’t remember. Either that or they may use an amber epoxy.
Cheers Ric, I just saw a rack of them for sale the other day in a shop and they were all discounted and all brown. The guy in the shop said that they had gone brown just sitting in the shop???? The rack was not portable and he assures me they have never been outside, weird. Anyway if anyone has any input on a TL2 board that they own it would be appreciated.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:36 pm

Yep I noticed the same thing, saw a batch of new boards come into a shop - TL2's, Firewires, PU Al Merricks all bright white. Went back two months later the TL2's were going yellow. This of course doesn't tell us how they go, just that they go brown.

daleknowles
regular

Post by daleknowles » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:34 am

Huh, I didn't know that about the going brown/yellow, I checked out some reviews and stuff, and never heard anything about it, usually epoxy is a lot slower to brown then pu, I have an old epoxy (2003 or so) and it's just starting to yellow a bit.

I did end up buying the TL2 (6'3" Pancho Sullivan), got a good deal on it, havn't had it out yet, well out twice in absolutely s**t conditions, just to get wet, but it's been really flat here, probably won't pick up until august either, that's the way it goes here, I'll tell you how it rides/ages as time goes on.

daleknowles
regular

Post by daleknowles » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:56 am

so I did finally get a chance to get that TL2 out, once in shoulder to head high punchy, fast steep beach break, and once in waist to shoulder high even, slope-y point break. And I was amazed, it was so snappy, during the beach break sesh I was on my toes, literally, the whole time. For point surfing I was impressed also, I just tried to do short, choppy powerful turns for the most part (my ugly signature) and was able to put way more into it than my old board. Anyway, it hasn't started to yellow yet, and I don't really care, as long as it performs. I feel that this board will improve my surfing, as soon as we get some consitent swell (in 6-8weeks hopefully)

PS: My old board is OLD so this may be an unfair comparison, but I was very happy with the TL2,
also the point break surf was on my birthday (30th), so that made me happy.

daleknowles
regular

Re: TL2's

Post by daleknowles » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:58 am

Just a follow up after riding the TL2 for a year. I still ride PU's (my buddies 6'6" JS is the closest in dimensions) and really prefer the TL2, it is really responsive, it really pushed my surfing, and makes me surf even my PU fish's better (the waves around here are usually more suited to fish's...fishi? Feesh?).

Anyway, a few people asked for follow up. I don't think these boards really 'caught on.' I know they aren't customs, but there is only one local shaper I know of in my area (and ... well, I don't like his boards). At least the TL2's are done by hand.

I have tried the Tufflites as well, my housemate has one, I don't really like it, I don't dislike it either though, only tried it in lousy conditions, and it's too big for me (6'6" flyer II) but it doens't turn as well or have as much 'snap'

Haz
barnacle

Post by Haz » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:22 pm

Yeah love my TL2 still, had my Byrne for nearly a year now, still feels like a really responsive PU. No browning, no repairs (just heaps of little scratches which would probably have been giant holes in a normal PU), pretty stoked about it...

Entirely depends on the shape you're getting though. My Byrne flies when it's 3-6 foot, but takes a lot of work to get up to speed when smaller, and gets really sketchy when bigger (obviously). Really wish they had more shapes and shapers...

Ah well, guess I'll just give Speedneedle a ring when i cough up some dosh!

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:55 pm

eard lately from a reputable source

they go ok :!:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:14 pm

seems TL2's went the way of the Dodo bird.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:19 pm

With a name very similar to a foamie brand they were doomed from the start...

I've ridden one before, was far more buoyant and rigid that I was expecting. The lack of customisation is a worry to me. I'd be more inclined to save the extra dosh and get a JD work of art.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.