more stability

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

moya
regular

more stability

Post by moya » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:59 pm

Im after a bit more stability.

I know it will come with width. But does more thickness help?
And i just jumped 1/4 of an inch in width. I got the stability but feel i lost a bit of that sports car trimming feeling.
Would going up from 18.1/4 to 18.3/8 be significant enough a change to really notice it stability wise?

thanks wise venerables

lamesville
Grommet

Post by lamesville » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:08 pm

if you're talkin about a standard shorty then you're gonna feel F%^k all difference in that 1/8" width change. I'd be more looking at widening the nose and tail, then you might start to feel some more stability.
everyones different i suppose...

AlbyAl
regular

Post by AlbyAl » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:41 pm

You'll probably want a little more width - but how about some length! Just go a bit wider and longer, add 3 inches, and maybe a bit more thickness and you'll notice some stability - and also some good effort required in getting through turns.
The other thing that comes to mind with the word 'stability' is perhaps you have a heavy rocker in the board - too much curve? Get a bigger board with slightly flatter rocker.

Others in these threads could probably give better advice, but post your age, weight, height, and dimensions of current board so they can get an idea of what the 'stability' thing exactly is.

I mean, I've been surfing over 30 years and my boards might be deemed freakin unstable when I get them hard over on a rail - but it's controlled instability - we WANT some instability to move them around well - unless you want to stand still on a giant longboard! You may have to go through the unpleasant instability for a while to get to the controlled instability thing.

johno_52

Post by johno_52 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:03 pm

you will wanna go a bit longer abit wider and abit thicker you wanna keep the volume in the board for stability thats what i think