My new board (pics)

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Dingus
Owl status

My new board (pics)

Post by Dingus » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:05 pm

Picked up from Fullcircle at Phillip Island. 6'6" x 19 1/2 x 2 1/2. Depressions you see on the bottom are courtesy of Jetstar despite careful protection, thanks boys.

Apologies for the bad pics. My Canon S5IS is very poor at indoor photography, and any photography in general it seems. Did a quick Levels and Unsharp mask but it's pretty noisy.

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:50 pm

Dae - thats a nice looking board for crap - average sydney waves. I ride a very similr looking shape except a 6'2" and its perfect for the generally average shaped sydney waves that I surf.

Bummer about the dings - thats a tragedy for a brand new board.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:52 pm

Very shiny, unlike the floors :twisted:

Proof will be in the tank testing.

Did you take up the damage with the airline?

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:03 pm

Can I say something about the depressions? Checked it in the carpark, it's still watertight so figured they wouldn't do anything if there wasn't a breakage. Plus the depressions seem to be made from an object moving slightly sideways towards the centre, so the fkrs probably shoved it in sideways somewhere.

Chong, not for sydney but France. I was honest with them about my ability and the waves I'd be surfing the bulk of the time and we discussed it and settled on this one. I'm fairly sure it was Russell I was talking to, maybe he lurks here and can confirm. There was a round tail version I really liked but I was honest enough with myself to say I wouldn't match the conditions it needed.

:lol: The floor is at my parents place. I moved a rug out to get the room, probably the first time it's seen sunlight in a while

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:30 pm

Dae wrote: :lol: The floor is at my parents place. I moved a rug out to get the room, probably the first time it's seen sunlight in a while
Lucky I didn’t start on the furniture :D thought as much.

When you off wayward warrior?

Would’ve gone the round tail. Smooth. Just an opinion.

combatwombat
Grommet

Post by combatwombat » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:56 pm

with a shine like that i'd be using it too look up stewardesses skirts!!! :lol:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:24 pm

Dae wrote:Can I say something about the depressions? Checked it in the carpark, it's still watertight so figured they wouldn't do anything if there wasn't a breakage. Plus the depressions seem to be made from an object moving slightly sideways towards the centre, so the fkrs probably shoved it in sideways somewhere.

Chong, not for sydney but France. I was honest with them about my ability and the waves I'd be surfing the bulk of the time and we discussed it and settled on this one. I'm fairly sure it was Russell I was talking to, maybe he lurks here and can confirm. There was a round tail version I really liked but I was honest enough with myself to say I wouldn't match the conditions it needed.

:lol: The floor is at my parents place. I moved a rug out to get the room, probably the first time it's seen sunlight in a while
that tail planshape is more suited to smaller waves ( like average east coast beachies ) and might have a little too much area for bigger punchy French beachbreaks...I could be wrong... I would have went the rounded pin or round tail option for where you are heading....looks nice and great finish, just not sure if its suited to France....au revoir...

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:35 pm

You're making me think about the tailshape now and it may be unsuited too much. We discussed France and he had some experience in the area so I was happy to be swayed towards the swallow. I really don't see myself going much over 4-5ft to be honest.

Ric - fly out on the 28th. I've been learning all the important phrases: Je ne comprends pas; Je me suis perdu; oh la la; Fatal Bazooka!!

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:50 pm

Dae wrote:Ric - fly out on the 28th. I've been learning all the important phrases: Je ne comprends pas; Je me suis perdu; oh la la; Fatal Bazooka!!
OK, so what are you going to say to the chicks :?: (Where is creased?) No don’t ask them that they may take it the wrong way. :!:

Happy hunting, boards good, so let’s not plant any doubt they all do something.

Freestyler
regular

Post by Freestyler » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:58 pm

I've a mate who is living in Hossegor for 2008 and he has been scoring classic waves last couple of months. He tells me there's been plenty of 12-15 ft tow in days, pure class, offshore, but if you head down the beach 500m-1km its 4'-5'. I can't figure it out, but something to do with direction of swell and France's sandbanks.
He's not a great surfer, rides a 7 footer mini-mal shape, and been scoring heaps of waves with only a handful of surfers. No one goes the early its too cold, first in water around 11ish after croissants and coffee.
Sure the board you picked will go great, 6'6", 19 1/2 gives u some volume for paddling, swallow for bite. Hey whats not to like. Enjoy France and stay warm.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:01 pm

Dae wrote:You're making me think about the tailshape now and it may be unsuited too much. We discussed France and he had some experience in the area so I was happy to be swayed towards the swallow. I really don't see myself going much over 4-5ft to be honest.

Ric - fly out on the 28th. I've been learning all the important phrases: Je ne comprends pas; Je me suis perdu; oh la la; Fatal Bazooka!!
In the presence of a fine French filly just tilt or raise your head a bit (and eyebrows if really fine specimen) and say quietly: "pas mal" (reprising Gerard D)

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:19 pm

puurri wrote:
Dae wrote:You're making me think about the tailshape now and it may be unsuited too much. We discussed France and he had some experience in the area so I was happy to be swayed towards the swallow. I really don't see myself going much over 4-5ft to be honest.

In the presence of a fine French filly just tilt or raise your head a bit (and eyebrows if really fine specimen) and say quietly: "pas mal" (reprising Gerard D)
Not bad, not bad ;)

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Re: My new board (pics)

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:10 pm

so how it go in france :?:

was the tail ok :?
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:55 pm

Gee how'd you blow the dust off this one? :lol:

Actually it was all a little disappointing from memory. I hit a poor patch of waves in the early part of my stay and had been frustrated in getting waves with the board. Doing full time language classes in Biarritz meant I didn't hit the road looking as I could have otherwise. At some stage I switched to a comp longboard I picked up unused secondhand and had much more fun paddling into and catching waves with that (http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... =9&t=13876).

I can't remember what I did with the shorty :oops: I need to think about it. My memory usually goes back 2-3 days so a few years needs some synaptic bashing and massaging. Last thing I can remember of it at the moment was lending it to a surf company rep from Brazil who'd just flown in and knew the son of the family I was staying with. There was a decent swell heading in and we enjoyed a solidifying 3-4ft on a rising tide with a zillion others - think Cote de Basque on a high tide with it breaking not far from the wall. I had superboard and he had the shorty; it was the best session the board was in all things considered and he seemed to have fun on it, the bûgger.
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

MXNDOG

Post by MXNDOG » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:14 pm

nice 1

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:51 am

:oops: :oops:
It's too early in the morning.
I read all the way down to Puurri's post before I looked at the dates.
Good one Fong. >><<
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:00 am

Def not new anymore!
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:07 pm

on topic :arrow: look wat santa got me

i hope the delivery man remembers stopin on his way north :wink:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?