SUNOVA EXPERIENCE

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Re: SUNOVA EXPERIENCE

Post by dUg » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:46 pm

Well... I finally got to have a spin on one of these... it's early days yet so I will reserve judgement until I have ridden it some more.

First impressions were that it was well built and finished, and it made a nice "twang" sound when you tapped it - doesn't sound anything like your typical PU / PE stick.

This one was a Professional model, 6'0 rounded pin / roundtail. It's narrower than what I usually ride at barely 18", and has a more rolled sort of deck that reminds me of some of the boards I had in the 90's! It also has those pinchy rails from about the duckdive grab point, pretty much all the way to the nose. Rear rails are pretty hard / square, and even at the mid point the rails are pretty low ( again, more like boards I stopped surfing some time ago because they didn't work for me ). It's lighter than anything I own at the moment, about the same as a EPS / Epoxy board I made 10 years ago and glased too lightly, so that it snapped on its third ever outing.

In the water, first thing I noticed was the paddling. Just. Awful. Felt like I had a pile of weed hooked on my leash ( at one stage I even turned the board upside down to see what was making it pull so much water and found nothing ). Despite that is was pretty easy to pick up waves on which was unexpected.

The surf was less than spectacular, just short sectiony beachies tending to close out, but the board turned quite well once it got going. The few times I managed to find a lip to hit among the slops it behaved reasonably well, and the lightness made it very responsive. One thing I did notice was a reluctance to get out of the foam, and a few times I got really frustrated because no matter where I shifted it made no difference. Sometimes it felt like there was all this turbulence under the tail slowing it down - something the fishy swallow tails I normally surf in small weak stuff don't suffer from. Certainly I have 3 other boards that I would have had a lot more fun on yesterday.

I probably could have chosen better with fins, I stuck two FG-5 sides in and an M-3 center to loosen it up a bit. Next surf I'll probably try my TC Whitelies or Aqualines in it and see how it goes - I just couldn't be arsed pulling them out of one of my other boards yesterday.

The paddling and sensation of drag were certainly issues for me, but we'll see if that improves in some better waves.

Will report any more findings later. :)

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:44 pm

iggy wrote: unless you were a fly weight...
doesn't sound like much else really...
I'm around 64-65kg... dunno if you'd call that flyweight but yeah... doesn't take a whole load of foam to float me. ;)

I just laid the tape across it and got a shock... widest point is further back than I expected, but more suprisingly... just a shade less than 18".

Geeez not surprised it was a pig to paddle now...

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:52 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:54 pm

This is my 6'4" Nitro, yet to take it out for a spin.

My first Sunova, a 6'6" Pro which is great for bigger waves, a bit thinner than my Pu step-up but great still!

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:33 pm

Hey guys, I'm curious how you feel all about your Sunova's now that you have had them for a while?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:23 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:32 pm

Wingnut wrote:Hey guys, I'm curious how you feel all about your Sunova's now that you have had them for a while?
I had a PRO and a Boosta now I have neither . Pro to thin for my liking and rocker too flat . Boosta
was a good board was nice in 2/3 ft with some push . I felt it lacked a little beef for my weight when it got gutless which ultimately was what I wanted it to be good in. If I could have customised dimensions at that point maybe would have got it right........But........ Sold both to the same person to buy some boards from the competition and am much happier with the overall product .

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:38 pm

DV8 wrote:
Wingnut wrote:Hey guys, I'm curious how you feel all about your Sunova's now that you have had them for a while?
I had a PRO and a Boosta now I have neither . Pro to thin for my liking and rocker too flat . Boosta
was a good board was nice in 2/3 ft with some push . I felt it lacked a little beef for my weight when it got gutless which ultimately was what I wanted it to be good in. If I could have customised dimensions at that point maybe would have got it right........But........ Sold both to the same person to buy some boards from the competition and am much happier with the overall product .
The competition being Firewire or Speedneedle?

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:14 pm

bohdidontsurf wrote:
DV8 wrote:
The competition being Firewire or Speedneedle?
That being Mr Dowling !

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:46 am

guard wrote:Off topic,
Hey DV8..Not sure if you meant to reply to a pm a while ago, i had a message that was all red and it said it was lost as you sent it..About jakarta maybe.

Or my inbox might be full.
Yep Guard I did send you a PM . But I was having issues with my PM's getting sent successfully.
No dramas though as my plans have changed somewhat for Indo

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:13 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:07 pm

I gave the Nitro a spin this morning on a lumpy 2-4 ft swell and was actually surprised at how well it went. I found the board quite easy to paddle despite being a touch thinner than I usually ride, this being 2 & 1/4" rather than 2 & 3/8". I've added some FCS Sunny fins & the combination of the thin, hard rails made it a pleasure to turn. It did struggle a little on the small stuff though.

Despite what I've been hearing by other Sunova owners who thought their boards had no flex mine felt pretty good, not as much as a Firewire but I do have the "standard" glass and wood veneer.

I found the rocker ok as well, I'd probably like a touch more curve at the nose of the board if anything but as I was in choppy waves with lot's of double ups it was a little difficult to get the best feel.

For me I think the board would work well in clean 3 ft + waves, I'd like to take it out on some nice fast beach breaks to see it's true colours.

Not much of a review but a start.

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:26 pm

I'm going to list this board for sale shortly, I have a few too many boards & decided to sell the one I ride the least & this is the one...only ridden once, no scratches or dings. In perfect condition.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:05 pm

Without wanting to go right through this thread to find out can anyone tell me if these boards are more durable with heel dents ect.

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:34 pm

My 6'6" Pro Sunova has a standard glassing & I weight 86kg. I've used it heaps & haven't had a single dent on it to date.

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:00 am

for mine: very durable boards but the shapes are lacking. i had 3 made and only ever got to like one of them - that one took 1-2 months of surfing it exclusively to get used to it. now i'm back on PU boards and don't surf the sunova at all because i know i've got to go through 2-3 bad surfs to have a good surf.

the thinness may be the main factor, but the additional flex might also make the board less predictable.

i'd be interested to try other guys shapes to see if it is a materials thing or purely the shape i don't like.

but yeah, the boards are pretty damn strong.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:58 pm

Take it with me bigger days, was meant for bigger swell. I haven't ridden it since last time the sweep kept me back and my paddling didn't cut it, which may have been me. Just seems too particular. I like my 2 all-rounders, little quad, gun (still not had a ride on channel Byrne) and the fishy with G1's. Haven't dialed the Boosta yet.

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:53 pm

dinosaur wrote:After reading the descriptions of these boards on this thread and looking over a few Firewires and a couple of older sunovas, i have to conclude that to much effort has gone into construction and not enough skill into shaping. The Sunovas I looked at were easily the ugliest shapes i had ever seen. They really did look like very average boards.
Have you ridden or handled one?