correct paddling technique?

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

yowie1000
Grommet

Post by yowie1000 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:52 pm

i like to paddle really weakly, then bust out a panic simultaneous double-arm paddle at that critical last moment when i realise im not quite going to make it onto a wave.

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:04 pm

yowie1000 wrote:i like to paddle really weakly, then bust out a panic simultaneous double-arm paddle at that critical last moment when i realise im not quite going to make it onto a wave.
I see a lot of that these days as summer is approaching :(

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:42 pm

doowdle wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote: Another hint: a good paddler, just like a good swimmer, engages his/her whole body in the stroke. If your legs aren't moving (just a little bit!) your arms are working too hard.
Is that for balance Nick? Cos my feet arn't really engaging with the water when I'm lying on a 6' surfboard - can't imagine yours do either.

unless i stick em over the side?
Yeah for balance and reach. They don't have to be in the water to be part of the paddle stroke movement.

The idea is to mobilise all your body in the fluid transfer of power from one stroke to the next.

Like you don't run just with your legs ... the same goes for paddling, it's not just about your arms. In fact, the less you can make it about your arms, the better you'll paddle.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:54 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: Yeah for balance and reach. They don't have to be in the water to be part of the paddle stroke movement.

The idea is to mobilise all your body in the fluid transfer of power from one stroke to the next.

Like you don't run just with your legs ... the same goes for paddling, it's not just about your arms. In fact, the less you can make it about your arms, the better you'll paddle.
Phew, so we don’t have paddle like the kids on the nipper boards. :D

Go the XXXX Gold Superclubbie!

And you didn’t break into ‘I’m a little teapot...’ this time?

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:07 pm

ric_vidal wrote:And you didn’t break into ‘I’m a little teapot...’ this time?
oh that's mean :lol:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:18 pm

munch wrote:
It’s the tannin. :arrow:

Butts

Post by Butts » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:22 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Well you get a bunch of hot 22 year old chicks and...

Nahh let's not go there.

Correct paddling technique doesn't come naturally to most people (perhaps about as many as have a naturally correct freestyle swim stroke eh surfin39!).

Most surfers paddle with a fairly stiff elbow, rotating most of the movement through the shoulder joint and relying on sheer grunt to get the job done. They swing their arms wide on the return and put a lot of effort into the middle of the stroke. Often they cup their hands. They tire fairly quickly, within 50 strokes or so, and have to take little rests all the way out to the lineup. Sound familiar?

You think this is OK, fine, but I've got a thousand surfers with rotator cuff injuries I can introduce you to who'll tell ya otherwise.

Correct technique takes the effort out of the arms and shoulders and transfers much of it into the larger muscles of the upper and middle back.

I'm not gonna do a tutorial here -- if you want one of them you're gonna have to pay for it. But here's some tips:

The "catch" -- the initial sliding your hand into the water and the first six to 12 inches of movement -- is the most important part of the paddle stroke.

Put your hand in soft and flat -- fingers slightly apart, wrist tilted at 45 degrees, neither the thumb or the little finger going in first, but nice and flat -- take a fraction of a second to gather some water under the palm of your hand, and pull through.

Keep the hand relaxed and the stroke pretty much straight from "catch" to release -- don't twist your hand under the board too much.

Once your's hand's past the line of your shoulder, effective transfer of power is finished. At that point, cut the straining and relax. The back end of the stroke -- the "release" -- is all about bringing the hand out smoothly.

Bring it out earlier than you think -- about at the hip line, max.

Instead of lifting the hand out, lift the elbow. The hand will follow.

Keep the elbow high and track the hand up to the "catch" in as straight a line as you can.

Keep the strokes per minute down and focus instead on correcting the stroke. 40 spm done right will ruin 80 spm done wrong. (As the actress said to the bishop.)

And ... consciously ... relax.
NC, now that is ONE very nice piece of well "articulated" comment 8)

For some it comes naturally, S39 B A S T A R D :evil: , for others it takes time
and practice, practice and more practice :oops:

As for 40spm Vs 80spm, that would mean when RV is paddling (on a good day) I'm already on the beach :shock: :P :twisted: :twisted:
I have always agreed about technique regardless of the sport or function attempting to be performed. :wink:

NC, Great insight. Thanks 8)

vb
Local

Post by vb » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:33 pm

Yeah, well done. It's amazing how these forums have been going for about four years before something as elementary as paddling technique came up (maybe I've missed something tho). Whatever, I've always been a crap paddler (and swimmer) and I'll be giving NC's stuff a workout

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:44 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
munch wrote:
It’s the tannin. :arrow:
You do tend to leave a vivid brown stain on this place ;)
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:53 pm

Youse guys want to see someone paddling real good like, come and watch Mick Porra kill everyone in the Manly ocean series race on Sunday morning.

Manly Wharf to north head quarantine and back, starts at 9am.

It's a series, the last race is the 20 Beaches: Manly to Palmy or vice versa depending on wind. You'll see some crazy paddlers in that race, Mick DiBetta, etc. 24ks almost faster than you drive it.

It's on Dec 15 which is why I can't come to the drink-a-thon :cry: Alcohol and distance racing just don't mix.

Butts

Post by Butts » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:15 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: It's on Dec 15 which is why I can't come to the drink-a-thon :cry: Alcohol and distance racing just don't mix.
NC I've heard ALL sorts of excuses, but that is pathetic :evil: :twisted:

Good luck anyway on the day 8)

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:17 am

Nick Carroll wrote:[, the less you can make it about your arms, the better you'll paddle.
:?

tried the elbow lifting bit today...makes a huge difference....thanks :!:

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:14 am

something I've found useful (when its small and I dont need to conserve energy for the inevitable panicked scrabble to the horizon at set time, when its big),
is to direct some water inwards toward the center of the tail: given I think the underside of the board is shaped to direct water backward? I think it makes the stroke more powerful, more waves caught.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:51 pm

Forget the S stroke thingy. Waste of time and energy. Keep it smooth and straight, in a line as close in to the board as possible.

Like I said: Once you've drawn back your hand from the catch to a point level with your shoulder, the power transfer's finished. Any effort you put in after that is entirely wasted. The stroke becomes a glide assist, not a power transfer.

Focus on the catch and the first 12 inches of pull through; relax and lift the elbow on return.

Guard, your little "body pump" is just what I'm talking about when I say try to recruit the whole body into the stroke.

rabbity7
regular

Post by rabbity7 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:28 pm

Just thrash about as hard as you can

pig champion
Local

Post by pig champion » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:27 pm

nick, thanks for the free advice mate ... much appreciated ... if you ever have the misfortune of meeting me, i'll buy you a beer or 6!
my heaters broke & i'm so tired ...

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:29 pm

dear nick nack....thank u for the early xmas present :lol:

i've had maybe 3 surfs now trying your technique

the secret really is in the "catch".....i find getting that 10% right adds 100% to my paddling power :shock: 8)

also i noticed ...when i lift my elbows i naturally do a kinda s- stroke

i'm working on releasing near my shoulder

and again....the more i relax...the more stamina i have

( perhaps concentrating too much tenses muscles and wastes energy :?: :? )

p.s mods....can we make this thread sticky :?: :idea:

we haven't got a sticky in shortboarders and this one i recken is worthy

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:53 am

^^fongy I'm thrilled to be of service!