backfoot placement

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

old grom
Grommet

Re: backfoot placement

Post by old grom » Tue May 31, 2011 3:16 pm

Morgan The Moon wrote:Had a quick chat to Marc and gonna slap on a pad tonight. Fong got me excited.

Tried to put my foot way back on the Zot from take off and it turned into a dog. Placement is a bit forward so I'll see how it goes
hi morgan Keep us informed - I have not gone the tail pad on my ZOT; I was attracted to it due to its more friendly front foot design - and it is way more forvgiving than the NUGS. On Nuggets I have always gone a tail pad - and rely on them big time. I have not found it critical on the ZOT - so keen to hear your take now you have padded up... OG

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Tue May 31, 2011 5:31 pm

old grom wrote:
Morgan The Moon wrote:Had a quick chat to Marc and gonna slap on a pad tonight. Fong got me excited.

Tried to put my foot way back on the Zot from take off and it turned into a dog. Placement is a bit forward so I'll see how it goes
hi morgan Keep us informed - I have not gone the tail pad on my ZOT; I was attracted to it due to its more friendly front foot design - and it is way more forvgiving than the NUGS. On Nuggets I have always gone a tail pad - and rely on them big time. I have not found it critical on the ZOT - so keen to hear your take now you have padded up... OG
Love it mate. Always hated the look of a tail pad, but it's like training wheels.

I've got the same size Zot as you, always seem to have my back foot just in front of where the tail pad should be on take off, and move it back for a bigger turn. Foot placement was always a bit hit and miss. You know when you get it right, but it was a 50/50 deal.

I've only ridden on it twice since I've placed the foot pad, but it's made a big difference. Can still surf front footed, move the back foot in place ready for the turn with confidence.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue May 31, 2011 8:22 pm

Tail pad curse alert - since posting about how important they are, part of my Balin tail pad came off my alien yesterday, only two weeks old.... :twisted: Balin are on the 'list'.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:28 am

batoes wrote:Tail pad curse alert - since posting about how important they are, part of my Balin tail pad came off my alien yesterday, only two weeks old.... :twisted: Balin are on the 'list'.
There are some cheap pads out there that will perish but you did leave it to set for 24 hours right? Really important to apply to a clean surface and then leave it set for 24 hours. I bought a cheapy (but it had a nice skull and cross bones!) I followed the rules and the bastard was lifting a little more each surf. Never had a problem with GG or O%E.

I would have thought Balin would be OK but then the zipper on one of my Balin board bags seized up ...it was replaced under warranty but sheesh if all the wetsuit companies can use zippers that withstand salt corrosion even after years of use it makes me wonder why some board bag makers can't get it right.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:24 pm

Yeah i am pretty pedantic about instructions - i snapped the board in the heavy surf a week ago. The curse was serious.... :shock:
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:55 pm

batoes wrote:Yeah i am pretty pedantic about instructions - i snapped the board in the heavy surf a week ago. The curse was serious.... :shock:
That's a heavy curse :(

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:14 pm

batoes wrote:Yeah i am pretty pedantic about instructions - i snapped the board in the heavy surf a week ago. The curse was serious.... :shock:
There was a lot of that then. There were at least 4 boards in the trash cans at my local and more were snapped but they were scavenged - so beware of resurrected boards for sale!

Back on topic, since the tail pad's inception I've been using them. The kick keeps the back foot on, no more back foot slip. Still not sure if it helps find the right spot quicker. I think that happens "organically" as you get used to a board. I even notice as I get used to a board more for late take offs I'll actually place my back foot slightly closer to the rail that's in the face to sink the rail in more. The pad just maps out the ball park. Even different waves I reckon I change the position of my back foot at take off and then of course some fine tuning through out as well.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Morgan The Moon wrote:
That's a heavy curse :(

heavy and suxy :shock:

one thing i notice with a tail pad....besides how much better it is than wax....my foot is kinda very accross the stringer :? i ha been playing with opening my stance up after reading carrolls good book, but the tail pad seems restrict this :?

mind u i'm a kook...so that could be equal reason :lol:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:45 pm

Slowman wrote:
There was a lot of that then. There were at least 4 boards in the trash cans at my local and more were snapped but they were scavenged - so beware of resurrected boards for sale!
Snapped my longboard on the same weekend. My own fault for thinking I could handle the board in those conditions :( Should've stuck with the shorty. Might be a dodgy mini-Sim in the line up for Summer

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:25 pm

It's a bad club to be in Morgan....i snapped a mal many years ago surfing Windy Point at Cronulla....what was i thinking on a mal out there? Serves me right. I like the idea of the sim though, resurrect at least half of her!
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.