Konnichi Wa!

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:25 pm

Lucky Al, I'm thrilled to hear about your project and honestly can't wait to watch it...I love hearing about people living their surfing lives in places with which I'm unfamiliar!

You'll blow Bra Boys out of the water. I just hope half as many people get to see it.

Must say I agree with wanto re the, errr, branding... obviously you'll wanna get it out there, but don't do yourself a disservice by allowing others to claim your efforts as their own.

ps Ogawa-san is one of the Helmet Warriors at Pipe, he sits at OTW on second reef days and gets the bombs every hour.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:43 pm

geez, you blokes are nice. nick, i'm thrilled to hear you're thrilled. and i can't wait to show it, just a ton of work to do before i can.

surfers are fine people! i want to make docos about them in a dozen countries - india, indonesia, tahiti, chile, brazil, britain, france, germany, morocco, ghana, south africa... even australia if they'll let me!

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:46 pm

i've videoed a few shapers at work since i came to japan, and always been surprised to see how little protective clothing they wear. today i videoed taro taniuchi shape a 4'11" for his son gen, and taro-san had bare feet! i don't know, though - maybe shapers are the same everywhere? masao ogawa at least wears thongs: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7371853009

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:08 pm

I know an island about 3hrs flight south, a former Japanese colony where the water is a lot warmer. A few Japanese do some surf trips there. Tetrapods and sea walls are a feature of Asian coastal landscapes due to typhoons which can at times be quite unpleasant, apart from the obvious benefits for swell generation.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:43 pm

until the other day i was slowly and painfully adding subtitles to sections of footage from kamogawa. then i dropped my external hard drive and broke it. now it's at the computer mechanics. of course, i hadn't got around to backing anything up. before dropping the hard drive i'd put together some short clips to entertain friends, and i guess some turned out alright - but the more i learn about this game the more i see i have to learn. i don't know know where half the subtitles went on this one.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0517&hl=en

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:36 pm

Hey Al, How is typhoon season shaping up this year? Net couple of months should be a good time to be a surfer in Japan

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:25 pm

i agree, bastardos, next couple of months will be a great time to be a surfer in japan, but argh i'm not a surfer in japan anymore! here in hanoi i check japan's surfing-related sites every day, and i can say it's been a very slow start to the surfing year there. the typhoons should start coming in thick and fast soon, though.

tg

Post by tg » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:18 pm

I lived in Tokyo '90/91 and surfed Chiba as much as I could. Surfing mate lived in Mobara and many a late night trip was made on the chuo-sen to make sure I got the early with him. thanks Al for reminding me of a lot of very nice times. And tetrapods.. how could I have forgotten. Ja mata ne!

still here
charger

Post by still here » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:56 pm

Lucky Al .....hmmph , "Lucky Bastard" more like it . :D

'Onya , sounds like a really exciting time you're having .

www.biarms.com

Post by www.biarms.com » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:18 pm

Hey Al,
I've just gone thru a few of your vids. They are pretty cool. I'd like to see the very best of the best you have. Have you travelled through many spots in Japan?
I'm going in September for the whole month. Stay in Shonan. Give me a hoy if you come over to Shonan.
Regards,
Matt
www.myspace.com/mattmenzies

[email protected]

radiator
Grommet

Post by radiator » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:28 pm

www.biarms.com wrote:Hey Al,
I've just gone thru a few of your vids. They are pretty cool. I'd like to see the very best of the best you have. Have you travelled through many spots in Japan?
I'm going in September for the whole month. Stay in Shonan. Give me a hoy if you come over to Shonan.
Regards,
Matt
www.myspace.com/mattmenzies

[email protected]
guna take him out on a date aswell?