Feedback on T&C Tolhurst Quad Fish

Tribal discussion for shortboarders

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

siam

Feedback on T&C Tolhurst Quad Fish

Post by siam » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:13 pm

Any feedback on these boards? ... never had a fish before. want to try the swoop and glide of a fish but I ride beach breaks and reefs and backhand so this seems to be a better option than a twin keel.

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:20 pm

I bought one a few weeks back, just to try something different. The demo I tried went really well, but so far I can't get used to mine, although I haven't really put proper time into it. Sometimes I've found that the boards that don't feel amazing staight off eventually turn out to be the keepers.

The quad set up feels powerful and grippy though, which is good.

The Tolhurst quad fish I've seen are all extremely wide (longboard type width - 21' to 21.5') and keep that going right through the tail.

My advice is to try and get a demo ride before you take the plunge, as they aren't cheap.

SMW1

fong

Post by fong » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:27 pm

the red ones allways go faster :shock: :roll: :lol:

grazza
Local

Post by grazza » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:15 pm

salty wrote: And, I'd I'd definitely stear clear of twin keals..... (never ridden one) but they look like they'd really suck.
Well there's an informed opinion.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:36 pm

hey siam - u are on the right track if u want the 'fish feeling' with more top to bottom, maneuverability and less potential crankiness on ya backhand (esp bottom turn) and more general versatility

riding a proper twin keel fish is close to a religious experience - in the right waves !

in the wrong waves it's an exercise in frustration to say the least..

the tolhurst quad is a nice board (top shaper), the ones i have had a bash on have quite wide tails and fullish templates and will surf a little more towards the 'keel' end of the spectrum, albeit a bit snappier... my quad has double flyer, pulled in tail, curvier template and more neutral foil and surfs in between a fish and a thruster...

check out the Dick van Straalen or Dain Thomas quads as an example of wot i'm crapping on about...play with the variables and have fun - but as mentioned do try out a few different types if possible before u fork over the $$

siam

Post by siam » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:19 pm

Thanks Tootr That is very useful feedback The problem I have is I live in Asia so need to order a board mail order! I have ridden mal for years but in the last couple of years got bored with them and started riding shorter boards so far mid 6'8" Miller waterskate and a single fin Mcoy. Want to try some different types of shorter boards as I have no idea what suits. I undertsand twin keels need good waves and are tough on the back hand so not so flexible for me where I have to ride all sorts of different waves often choppy and mainly beach break ... no long right points around here! Looking for speed, swoop and glide not worried about vertical turns .. would like the look of those big 8 turns Dan Malloy does on a fish in Sprout etc ... Any other tips for shapers ?

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:39 am

salty wrote:
grazza wrote:
salty wrote: And, I'd I'd definitely stear clear of twin keals..... (never ridden one) but they look like they'd really suck.
Well there's an informed opinion.
Well, let me put it this way... I've seen plenty of twin keel fish in the line up at Bondi, but I've never seen anyone ripping on one. That's gotta say something about them.

P.S. You need to ride a board to have a fair idea of how it goes.
I would have thought it says more about the riders.

Also, if I wanted to see good surfing, I think Bondi would be the last place I'd start looking. :)

In fairness though, I've always found twin keel fish to be hard work, but love the glide and speed in the right conditions. They certainly don't shine in your average peaky Oz beach break conditions.

dilution

Post by dilution » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:08 am

Sean Wilde in Mona Vale is doing some nice quad fish. He's more known for his fwd thinking approach to longboards (no fins boards, winged boards etc etc), but his retro style boards apparently go really well.

I've got a little 5'6" Quad on order from him now.

T...
OFF the TOP

botters

Post by botters » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:24 pm

G'day Siam: I've had a 6' 3" Tolhurst quad fish for about 18 months now. I got it 'cause I was looking for something short and floaty to ride in small crappy waves (which is most of the time in Sydney :lol:). I tested a few quads before picking the Tolhurst and I gotta say it's on my list of top five boards I've ever owned and I've been surfing for more than 30 years now. :shock: Time flies when you're having fun.

I'm 185cm and weigh 90kg and it is perfect for paddling easily into just about anything.

It's my board of choice in most conditions and can handle waves up to head high and a bit before the lack of length starts to come into play. I was completely blown away by how well it goes in all types of waves. For me, it is the perfect board for the way I surf, which is not too aggressive, but not cruisey either.

At first it was a little too skatey (like an old twinny) but I put larger fins on the outside and smaller stabiliser fins at the back. It was like adding a turbo charger :!: It has terrific drive through turns and hangs in there in steep waves much better than a thruster, with a lot of down the line speed for getting around sections or hanging in to the death in barrels. If I want to do snappy, vertical turns I just surf it off the tail pad more. Swoopy, roundhouse old-school stuff just means I ride it slightly further forward, I've even tried hanging my front foot over the nose. :D

I leant it to a mate who has ridden mals for years and he loved it so much he went and bought a quad (6' 10" mind - a toothpick for him).

The other thing is the glass job on my Tolhurst is top notch. Pure quality. A great board from a great shaper.

BTW: I recently bought another Tolhurst quad, 6' 5" regular shortboard shape and thickness ...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

siam

Post by siam » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:18 am

Thanks Botters Very useful info
What other type of boards did you ride before?
About the fin change ... what did it come with FCS and all the same size?
So you kept two and put two bigger ones in?

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:01 pm

So far I've mainly been using the FCS glass flex quad fins (2 big sides, smaller rear fins). They seem to go well but I'm going to try something slightly larger in the rear soon to experiment.

I was just reading this interesting piece about new FCS quad sets to come later this year - http://www.twsbiz.com/twbiz/industrynew ... 99,00.html

SMW1

botters

Post by botters » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:05 pm

Glad to be of help. Sounds like smw1 and I are on the same trip here Siam. I'm using FCS fibreglass fins on the outside and little FCS trailer fins at the back. The original loose set up was with smaller FCS fins on the outside (can't remember the name, I'll get back to you) and the same trailer fins. My board was custom made but ordered through my mates at Dripping Wet in Manly, so I was able to choose my fins and experiment a bit.

I'd been riding thrusters up until then (including epoxy boards, which I still have - great for travelling), nothing over 6' 6". Had a Miller waterskate too for a while, fast but not loose enough. Being a certain age, I rode single fins (and a Sky twinnie) in my teens and early 20s (way too many to list here, but special mention to Chris Henri at Curl Curl tho') , so I guess my surfing style (such as it is) is influenced by them.

My new quad I mentioned earlier has a swallow tail and the same size fins all round. It is looser than the fish because the outside fins are smaller but has incredible drive through all sorts of turns.

I guess what I'm getting at is (and other threads on this topic repeat this) that with quads fin choice radically affects the characteristics of how a board feels and handles, in my experience more than a thruster. The only way is to experiment (which if you're ordering from Asia could be difficult I know). Why not get six fins (ie three sets of two) of varying sizes and try 'em out. If you've got other boards with a removeable fin system you could get the same system on your new quad and then mix 'em all up till you get the right combo! I'm sure Billy Tolhurst or anyone at Town and Country would also be able to help you when you order.

botters

Post by botters » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:25 pm

Just re-read your original post Siam and I see you've riden a 6' 8" waterskate.

I won't go into the pluses and minuses of a waterskate here! but mine was 6' 6" and I rode it in Papua New Guinea, the Maldives both over head high and in 40cm onshore junk in Sydney - and everything in between :lol:

You'll find a Tolhurst quad fish will have the same glide and speed as a waterskate and should float you the same as well (depending on the dimensions of course). But it'll be a LOT looser and easier to turn (from the front and back foot) and it'll accelerate through turns much more and be easier to get over on the rails. Also it'll be able to handle steep, hollow waves better (depending on how big the outside fins are, as quad fishes act like a pintail in steep stuff). The Tolhurst will be a higher performance board all round, it demands to be pushed (although it is also a great board for when you feel more mellow). Much as I liked my waterskate's speed and flow, it always felt happier out towards the shoulder, my quad is happy anywhere in the wave. :wink: :D

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:40 pm

smw1 wrote:So far I've mainly been using the FCS glass flex quad fins (2 big sides, smaller rear fins). They seem to go well but I'm going to try something slightly larger in the rear soon to experiment.

I was just reading this interesting piece about new FCS quad sets to come later this year - http://www.twsbiz.com/twbiz/industrynew ... 99,00.html

SMW1
FCS only have one real quad set up and thats the stretch set. the front 2 fins are maybe an m4 size single foil, and they come with smaller DOUBLE foiled back fins. Rode this set up yesterday in a conventional shortboard shape, by Greg Webber..well not so normal- it had a huge double concave from entry point to tail.

A real conventional Quad set up in a fish is the canard set up- check link.
http://www.mandalacustomshapes.com/canardquad.html

siam

Post by siam » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:16 am

Thanks guys for all the feedback Much appreciated. Will buy you a beer should I ever get to Sydney!

Last questions

What do they cost?

Any email or tel contact for Billy Tolhurst or T&C or dealer who is reliable?