Singapore, help!

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hound
Grommet

Singapore, help!

Post by Hound » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:48 am

I need some help,

I was told yesterday that I was needed for work in Singapore for the next three months... starting sunday (missing all of summer!)

My question is, I've never been there, don't know what it's about, i may get a couple of days off here and there, possibly over xmas, how easy is it to get to the nearest surf, quick flight somewhere, do any of the islands off the malay peninsula get surf (western side only of course!!)

any other tips greatly appreciated.

Meataxe
barnacle

Post by Meataxe » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:09 pm

whoa! that's heavy. The good news is that Singapore is a nice developed clean and safe place to live. Heads and shoulders above its asian neighbours in terms of wealth and living standards.

The only thing is the government there is like a ridiculously strict parent. Gum is illegal, and the fine for littering is $1000. and they execute everyone

I have NFI what the surfs like there though [/i]

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:49 pm

I've been there many times, and as far as I know there's no surf in Singapore at all (which is hardly surprising when you consider where it's situated - see map at http://www.atlapedia.com/online/maps/ph ... ia_etc.htm)

But on the bright side, Indonesia is only a very short plane ride away....

vagrant

Post by vagrant » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:05 pm

I think Bali or West java will be your best options for any waves......

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:50 pm

Don't panic yet. The last time I flew into Singapore we approached from a different direction. I think we did a big loop to the east and north and came in over the southern tip of Malaysia. Anyway, there were some small islands with what looked like rideable waves coming into them. I guessed at the time they were coming out of the South China Sea and looking at the map now, I reckon that's about right. No idea how to get there, though.

bro
Local

Post by bro » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:15 pm

Depends on whether you have the "fever" or not there are plenty of other things you could be riding for 3 months I think it could be quite exciting but that depends on what your into, your marital status etc

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:30 pm

Singapore - hot, humid, some attractive ladies, very developed and sterile, like Canberra on steroids!

Depends how desperate you get I guess.

Matt Grainger used to run a wave pool in Malaysia some years ago. He reckons it's capable of reasonable waves, but it used to freak the Malays so they kept it pretty tame.

I believe there are waves around Phuket, Thailand.

Not that far to Maldives, Sri Lanka, actually it's good for a number of places already mentioned but it depends how many days you can string together as I think there can be a bit of travelling involved.

There won't be a 'local' though. Take some time at the end and enjoy 8)

JFish

Post by JFish » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:40 pm

Mate are you in luck - nightlife is good, foods great and it's the hub for Asia travel. The work culture is start late and finish late 9.30am - 8.30pm. A lot of expats fly out Friday and back in Monday morning.

Weekend plane flights will take you to lots of regional surf spots and countries. For other stuff you can get away for weekends over the border into Malaysia and up to Thialand. It'll be a good 3 months :lol:

Hound
Grommet

Post by Hound » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:29 pm

Guys,
what can I say, nice one, made me feel much better about it all, been running around the office like a headless chicken last two days, nearly got everything sorted, seems everyone is keen to get their hands on my big day out tickets, ruthless ba5tards!!!

gonna take a couple of boards, put the excess baggage on the company account.

geez i hope i get some days off, sounds like i'm working 6-6.5 days a week, so I better not be seeing the east coast going off at any point, and it'd be even sicker if i see the bali pics, so close but so far and all.

If it's not barrels it should be girls I'll be tucking into for sure.

Have a good summer guys, I'll see you on the northern beaches in february, you'll easy spot me I'll be the whitest guy on the beach...