Michoacán Mexico

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Kulharin
Grommet

Re: Michoacán Mexico

Post by Kulharin » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:28 am

Trip would like be early April just after Easter or mid November. My friend who has been going down there for years is thinking about going back in November so it'd make sense to align the trip with his.

I guess having a surf board on the roof of your vehicle is probably a good ideas so people know you're just around n surf and not war with gangs and cartels?

Baja and Nayarit were fun and I felt safe, but too expensive, over developed and crowded now. Oaxaca looks appealing but very south swell dependent which means November is pretty much out.

realdsurf

Post by realdsurf » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:20 pm

buddy wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:37 am
Went to Colima city for a day.
These two locals on a motorbike drove up close to us and said “fuck you American motherfuckers!”.
Last December, I visited Playa del Carmen and the Cancun area. I got a guide from https://gowithguide.com/mexico/guides just for this safety reason. Though it cost me some extra bucks, I guess it's worthy considering your safety.

Kulharin
Grommet

Post by Kulharin » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:44 am

I think I’ll go meet my friend down in Michoacan in November. Oaxaca would be a great March or April spot but don’t think I can afford it right now. At least not both in the same year, but hot damn the ski season sux this year in BC

realdsurf

Post by realdsurf » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:49 pm

Oh, that's great. I might go again, maybe in the latter half of the year.

Kulharin
Grommet

Post by Kulharin » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:56 pm

Oaxaca seems to have a bit of a weird system for surf. A lot of hype around 'escaping the crowds" or "frontier surf if you're willing to explore" ... maybe that used to be the case? ...

But been reading that a lot of the breaks are super crowed and many apparently have restricted/limited access unless you have a guide or are part of a surf camp. Which sounds pretty awful.

LuminaLynx

Post by LuminaLynx » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:50 am

Oh, certainly! I have gone surfing on the coast of Michoacán with a car several times and it was fantastic. The area from Manzanillo to Ixtapa is a secret treasure for those who love surfing. Even though there are warnings for travel in certain places, I have discovered locations that are completely safe and not disturbed by the usual crowds of tourists.

I would suggest that you research before and go to popular surfing places like Playa Azul or La Ticla. These locations have reliable waves and a relaxed vibe, great for an easygoing surf journey. Additionally, it is wise to consult nearby surf discussion boards or inquire with other surfers for the most recent information on conditions and safety.

If you have tried surfing in Baja, Michoacán will seem like a nice change because it has green scenery and the people there are welcoming.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:19 am

South Park says, "Uhhmm, okay"
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Kulharin
Grommet

Post by Kulharin » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:55 am

Made a couple trips to the Baja Sur, both in November, nice area but surf options were limited around where I was staying, and only going off on the Pacific Side. Stayed at Cerritos a couple year ago and it was busy, with a lot of new development going on compared to the trip prior when there was almost nothing there. San Perdito surf break was kinda ruined by the hurricane.

I've been to Costa Rica but the timing wasn't ideal; end of April, early May and it was muggy, mostly overcast and the onshore winds picked up early every day.

My buddy seems pretty happy with Michoacan as he keeps going back year after year... and sounds like the optimal weather and surf window is pretty big. I think that'll be in the card for next November... really need to improve my newb Spanish though. Maybe end of march into mid April.

I have 2+ weeks, where would you recommend planning to spend the bulk of my time. If you also have some suggestions you don't want to post here, feel free to DM me.

Much appreciated,

LuminaLynx

Post by LuminaLynx » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:05 pm

I've done a surf trip along the coast of Michoacán before. It's a bit off the beaten path compared to more touristy spots like Sayulita or San Blas, but totally worth it for the waves and scenery. Just make sure to stay updated on safety advisories and maybe stick to well-known surf spots like Playa Azul or Playa La Ticla. The drive down can be pretty scenic, but yeah, definitely keep an eye on travel advisories for areas like Colima, Guerrero, and Michoacán.

Kulharin
Grommet

Post by Kulharin » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:50 am

La Ticla and Nexpa areas are where’d want to spend most of my time and perhaps check out a few beaches in between n around those two.

Highway 200 is reasonably safe if you stick to the coast side, don’t travel at night and don’t drive inland?

Been reading in the news of farmers n military getting taken out by IEDs and mayors being assassinated recently.l in Michoacan. I don’t want to be anywhere close to that crazy shit.

Travel advisories for Colima and Michoacan have been unchanged for many years. “Avoid non essential travel” for the region.

Kulharin
Grommet

Post by Kulharin » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

There are more surf breaks around Pascuales aside from the board breaker?