Inguinal hernia, anyone had surgery?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Re: Inguinal hernia, anyone had surgery?

Post by Beerfan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:54 am

Bit of pain getting up and down but dressed and ready to go home. Can drive tomorrow and no heavy lifting for 2 weeks, just walking. Hopefully by the weekend I'll have no soreness.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:21 am

Sounds way better than mine. I don't think I surfed for 6 weeks.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:40 am

Unless I'm feeling 100% at 2 weeks I'll still probably wait a full month. I've pushed too hard before and it ended up costing me more time. That's way worse than just waiting that extra few weeks

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:27 am

Managed a 5km walk this morning, less than 48hrs post op. Still tender but going good.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:02 pm

It's amazing how far surgery has come in such a short time. One of my work colleagues had some keyhole heart surgery done, and was back at work within the week!

Good news for you Beery

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:39 pm

A week for heart surgery, damn!. Still a bit tender but coming good. Another week and I expect it'll be pretty damn good

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:27 pm

In the 1980s/1990s my father in law had open heart surgery 3 times to replace blocked arteries, months of recovery etc

Now they just shove stents in to keep the arteries open. He is 84 or thereabouts and they gave him one just last year, overnight stay. I think that was his 3rd or 4th. No way could he have survived major surgery but for a stent, no problem.

As an aside, he made it to 84 (and beyond) despite basically having had a heart that didn’t work properly for the last 30 years. Being kept alive by medical advances is pretty amazing

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:00 pm

Bout 10 days now. The weird feeling of something in your stomach is gone, not really pain, but when I moved I could feel it. Only minor issue is bruising around the incisions, and the incisions themselves are a bit tender to touch. The bigger one just under my belly button is probably an inch across, and is the most tender. No doubt it'll give me some grief when I lay on a board but no big deal.

Technically on Monday I can go back to weights. Looking forward to that but I'm in no rush to go heavy just yet. Need to get my fitness up so will go back to boxing and see how I go, and fa faaarks sake I might even get a wave next week :) that'd be good.

See the surgeon next Friday for the follow up. I expect to go back to work after that.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:36 pm

Laid on the floor to see how it'd feel. The incision sites are quite sore with pressure on them. Pop up is a bit slow but it'll be fine, but the incision sites are going to be the worry. Stretching out also gives a bit of pain, as does twisting the upper body. Not much, just pulls on the mesh and is a little tight/uncomfortable.

Been two weeks so tomorrow I might try some light kettle bell/dumbell squats to test it all out.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:10 am

Back at work Monday. Wants me to wait a few weeks before lifting really heavy but otherwise can get back into everything.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:44 pm

Thanks for the info, I am getting the surgery on June 8th
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."