Operation

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Re: Operation

Post by swvic » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:43 pm

FMD, digger. Hope all goes as well as it possibly can
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:16 pm

Thanks guys. Ive got two positive outlooks I can take on it with surfing.
1/ If I cant surf again, happy days, as it will mean that I will be spending a hell of a lot more time with my kids. Maybe I can even get a long board for my lad and take him out and push him onto waves at first point, take photos, and get really involved with my kids like I never have before because of surfing alone.
2/ If I can surf, happy bloody days, it will take a while but aiming to be paddling into waves either August or November. Not long away really.
3/ NO matter what I will be shaping so Im happy.

Not many surfers get to do what I have done and surf the places I have done so Im more than happy really. If I have any advice to anyone it is this, dont put off going to those places you dream off for surfing, for one day you may find its to bloody late. Do it, book your trip, give up life for a year if your young and hit the road. Surf W.A. its a bloody must. Life can wait for a year, a year is not long. For me Australia has it all, but for those that long to go overseas please dont wait till its to late.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:21 pm

http://stabmag.com/news/a-surf-tourism- ... mmunities/

check this out, would so love to go there, looks awesome.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:33 pm

Fingers crossed. I know a few guys who have had major back surgery and are now surfing again; although I realise its probably one of the last things on your mind.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:00 am

ctd wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:33 pm
Fingers crossed. I know a few guys who have had major back surgery and are now surfing again; although I realise its probably one of the last things on your mind.
yup, but cheers mate, will try to keep updates, today a lot of pain, but not goiing back on pain killers. The anti inflam tablets are causing major issues with my guts so im going off them as well. Will just tough it out, each day it will get a touch easier.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:15 am

Keep at it digger, stay strong and just think about week to week mate

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:21 am

hey I havent read every post but enough to know I know exactly what you are going through...and no one does unless they have been through it

Mate just dont give up on hope...hoping to surf...four years I spent out of the water...doing little more than struggling to the letterbox every day

hope, desire...and determination...pretty sure it was a combination of those that got me through

"hope is a good thing...maybe the best of things...and no good thing ever dies" Red
Last edited by Almighty God on Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:30 am

diggerdickson wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:00 am
ctd wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:33 pm
yup, but cheers mate, will try to keep updates, today a lot of pain, but not goiing back on pain killers. The anti inflam tablets are causing major issues with my guts so im going off them as well. Will just tough it out, each day it will get a touch easier.
I really battled the balance issue with pain meds...still do. I generally dont take anything and never really did heavily. But when the pain is acute...I binge on it...endone...panadeine forte...then voltaren when I am getting better...in aus you can only get 25mg...but when I get to singapore I stock up on 100mg tablets you can just get over the counter. I think they are great...just eat them with a bowl of yoghurt for the tummy

When your body is battling acute pain it doesnt heal...I think the meds help it relax and heal better...but I know its tough...and they make you feel like shit

Best wishes

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:02 pm

I havent posted in a while now. Im totally drug free, no pain in my left leg at all anymore. I went cold off my endep and my siatic pain never returned after operation. After talking with the hospital they were a touch surprised at this and I have been advised that they did not expect the first op to return these results. Sounds like I wont need another operation and I should purchase a lottery ticket.

IM PAIN FREE and drug free for the first time in over a year. Though still tender from operation and I take things easy. I made the bed yesterday for the first time in nearly a year and it was such an achievement for me I couldnt stop smiling.

Im doing physio now, walking around a running track for a solid half hour twice a day plus exercises. I am yet to get to the pool though Im joiing up at Gympie Pool and intend to be using this three times a week, just walking the pool to start with.

Im determined to get back in the water in some form wether surfing or taking photos, nothing will stop me there.

The physio is surprised at how quick im improving yet I know the muscles in my left bullock and leg plus my core are very weak. I find it real hard to have any sort of balance during my training due to the lack of strenght and i set my goals quite low for each session, yet to me they are almost unreachable. I try not to push myself to hard, all I know is that I wont have the strenght to go through this for a third time so I must get this rehab right and keep the weight off.

I intend to start making some templates so I can keep my mind off where im at and im going to be doing them the old fashioned way with a baton, nails and masonite board. Will wittle away at the curve with sandpaper till I get it just perfect, sorta like wittling wood only better.

Hope all are well.

We are thinking of buying land up at Glenwood and moving onto it in a few years to live off the grid and grow our own food. Yup, the bus travelling really has turned me hippy and im struggling living in a house with all the mod cons, sorta gives me a feeling that aint good as we waste electricity compared to what we did for the last four years. Though while I recover this is exactly where I need to to be, walking distance from the pool, close to physio and close to pilates when I start.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:05 pm

Great news Digger.
Stick at it.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:24 pm

Fark. Heavy duty. Best of luck with the recovery and Red Dust surfboards.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:43 pm

Awesome, digger.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:11 pm

What the others said. Slow and steady

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:00 pm

Such good luck with the operation Digger, too often it goes the other way.
Build up the strength now like beery.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:43 am

Woohoo digger
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:55 am

That positive attitude will see you through, digger. All the best
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:13 am

Good luck Digger, don't forget the chooks if you go off grid.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:19 am

diggerdickson wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:02 pm
I havent posted in a while now. Im totally drug free, no pain in my left leg at all anymore. I went cold off my endep and my siatic pain never returned after operation. After talking with the hospital they were a touch surprised at this and I have been advised that they did not expect the first op to return these results. Sounds like I wont need another operation and I should purchase a lottery ticket.

IM PAIN FREE and drug free for the first time in over a year. Though still tender from operation and I take things easy. I made the bed yesterday for the first time in nearly a year and it was such an achievement for me I couldnt stop smiling.

Im doing physio now, walking around a running track for a solid half hour twice a day plus exercises. I am yet to get to the pool though Im joiing up at Gympie Pool and intend to be using this three times a week, just walking the pool to start with.

Im determined to get back in the water in some form wether surfing or taking photos, nothing will stop me there.

The physio is surprised at how quick im improving yet I know the muscles in my left bullock and leg plus my core are very weak. I find it real hard to have any sort of balance during my training due to the lack of strenght and i set my goals quite low for each session, yet to me they are almost unreachable. I try not to push myself to hard, all I know is that I wont have the strenght to go through this for a third time so I must get this rehab right and keep the weight off.

I intend to start making some templates so I can keep my mind off where im at and im going to be doing them the old fashioned way with a baton, nails and masonite board. Will wittle away at the curve with sandpaper till I get it just perfect, sorta like wittling wood only better.

Hope all are well.

We are thinking of buying land up at Glenwood and moving onto it in a few years to live off the grid and grow our own food. Yup, the bus travelling really has turned me hippy and im struggling living in a house with all the mod cons, sorta gives me a feeling that aint good as we waste electricity compared to what we did for the last four years. Though while I recover this is exactly where I need to to be, walking distance from the pool, close to physio and close to pilates when I start.
Epic news mate, drug and pain free is great news! Focus on the rehab and in a few months you'll feel like new. Rehab can be a bit 3 steps forward 2 back but just keep going and think of small improvements.