Chronic disc lower back issues

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Chronic disc lower back issues

Post by Davros » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:13 am

Anyone suffer, any magic cures, any witch doctors to recommend?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Chronic disc lower back issues

Post by Trev » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:30 am

I've had 2 degenerative discs since my late 20s. 4/5 and 5/6.
Tried pretty much everything for 20 years. Recent x rays show they're still the same but for the last 20 years or so, no crippling attacks, just occasional aches.
Just keep the back and stomach muscles strong.
I also use (rarely now), an infrared heat lamp.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:52 pm

No I've got a spur on my spine where it joins my shoulder blades though. This can give me the odd ache.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Straighthanded
regular

Post by Straighthanded » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:10 pm

Had a hit of back pain late last year, ended up at the physio and the result was that my biomechanics are sh!t. Pivot and bending all through one point, causing an inflamed disc. Few at home stretches and exercises helped ease the pain, but he got me to go to clinical pilates as well - basically pilates where a physio is on hand to make sure you keep form and do the exercises right.
It helped heaps - feel much better and more mobile after a few months.

Worth a look, but you gotta hang with all the grandmas with dodgy knees and hips for a few hours a week!

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:18 pm

Ta lads. Don't mind matures

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:53 am

Sounds strange but since I've been doing squats and deadlifts my bulging discs give me no issues at all. Strengthen your lower back muscles and abs and they take the pressure off. Just body weight squats everyday should help.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:07 am

Ta BF

Straighthanded
regular

Post by Straighthanded » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:17 am

Agreed on the core and back muscle development - thats where I felt the improvement with the pilates, it is just provided in a supervised environment so poor form isn't making things worse. If you know what you are doing you and are confident you aren't going to aggravate it it could be worth saving your money and doing it at home. Obviously what I was doing at home wasn't right cause I still ended up with a screwed back!

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:43 pm

Also do some focus on glutes - if your glutes are weak or arent 'firing' (common for people who sit down all day) then your back ends up taking the strain. Bret Contreras is the guy to google

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:08 pm

Ta mate is that Bret "the glute guy" Contreras? I'll have a read Ta.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:41 pm

I didn't have disc problems, but once I had stabilised my back with physio-led Pilates I found kayaking good to maintain the core stability and muscles controlling the lower spine.
I had a few years of kayak training under my belt and reasonable technique, don't jump straight into it.

Actually I'm shopping for a ski at the moment to get back into it.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:52 pm

Just changed some small things and the impact has been quite noticeable.

- I've worked out my car seat is a lower back torture apparatus and I have deduced it's the main issue. I have a driving cushion for the small if my back and it has made a huge difference.

- exercises - The Bear, Glute Lifts, Low weight bearing squats

- not falling asleep on the couch

Had back pain for a year and already off the Voltaran

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:33 pm

I've had on again / off again issues with my back since an injury I got in my teens. A few years back I also ruptured a disc in my neck which required an operation. I occasionally go to a brilliant Chiro in Hunters Hill (here we go...) who manages to sort me out when things get a little ordinary. I've been to a few over the years & I can't recommend this guy highly enough. Flick me a PM if you want his details. Otherwise I've found that stretching my hamstrings works wonders for keeping it all in check. Just a couple of stretches on each one once or twice a day using the kitchen bench. That and core strength.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:16 pm

is your seat cushion way down low ie pushing your hips/butt forward (rather than sitting in the small of your back pushing your stomach forward)? Not saying either way is wrong, but if the former then have a read about 'anterior pelvic tilt', which could be related to all of your symptoms.

Also, dont sleep on your stomach. (um, if you do)

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:55 am

Yes on tight Hammies causing low back pain.

Good news davros, you'll be throwing that avocado around like a grom now :)

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:57 am

ctd wrote:Also do some focus on glutes - if your glutes are weak or arent 'firing' (common for people who sit down all day) then your back ends up taking the strain. Bret Contreras is the guy to google
Sometimes has pics of highly fit ladies with great glutes on his articles :)

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:48 am

They are all photos for training purposes so totally legit to look at when at work

Which reminds me, don't ignore the psoas... (hip flexor), which can sometimes be more important than the hammies. I like the one on this site but you have to remember to keep the body upright and not leaning forward.

http://lowbackpainprogram.com/sitting-pain/

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:47 am

I've posted this before but it's worth putting it up again. Make some space in front of your computer so you can still see the screen, turn up the sound and join in, goes for 12 minutes. Do it every day if possible, even after pain goes away. As Eric says at the start it'll fix your back up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOTvaRaDjI
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.