HOLY MALE 2 Redemptions Song

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Almighty God
regular

Re: HOLY MALE

Post by Almighty God » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:52 pm

Chapter 2: Groundhog Day

Sorry, I went a bit George RR Martin on you there...perhaps it was writers block...more likely a fear that as is usually the case...the sequel will fall desperately short of expectations.

but onto the waves...

Unfortunately the lad and I only had a shitty camera phone...and neither of us has any interest in photography...so we just spent an hour or so taking some surf shots on one morning...these are some of what we took

You probably get the general idea...but theres really no scale there...I think I am like 10'2"

Young JC on a little one
Last edited by Almighty God on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:04 pm

So that was all the left hander, Chickens

This is Cokes;

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:35 pm

Chickens is an extremely fun left hander...super easy to surf. It doesnt barrel...top to bottom, am sure a good surfer could find some almondy shaped barrel sections...but for the most part it was just nice steep shoulders for carving...and going VERY fast. Some waves break wider but it never really closes out...you could ride a wave for 200mtrs and pull off it...then catch the next one and ride it for another hundred meters sometimes. It would handle much bigger swells than what we got

Every day followed pretty much the same pattern...winds were usually worst first thing...but north, so still reasonably off shore for chickens. By mid afternoon the wind had usually swung a bit west...making cokes an option. I really only surfed Cokes twice, but it was perfect both times, and fcuking awesome...it is a bit steeper than chickens, maybe not as long...and sometimes it closes out. Every day there were waves 4-6 feet...I would call it bigger some days...but I dont intend on getting into that discussion with you dicks

The biggest issue wasnt crowds or winds or tides or swell, but the currents. Apparently this is the worst time of the year for them. They run every day...and they slow and usually stop every day...then start up again. It was a bit cruel at times watching perfect wave followed by perfect wave roll through with no-one out. Most of the crew that were around would sit and wait around until the currents all but stopped...then go surfing. I did this on the second day...and there were maybe 15 guys out. After that I went out as soon as the currents started to slow. I surf a lot...likely why I fail so badly in the relationship department perhaps...but being reasonably surf fit meant the currents werent a huge problem...and it meant usually surfing with just one or two others.

Getting in and out at Cokes is a bit shit, particularly on the lower tides. I was greeted by a few sea urchin on one occasion. I never hit the bottom whilst surfing either wave...and I am pretty sure I surfed at most tides. Chickens seemed best at low tide.

Beautiful place

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:16 pm

How deep is the water at the breaks (I've never been there)?

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:39 pm

ctd wrote:How deep is the water at the breaks (I've never been there)?
The interesting thing about that is how deceptive that is...because the water is so chrystal clear...you can see to the bottom really easily...so it looks really shallow. Its super spectacular...you can go for a snorkel whilst waiting for waves,,,no need for a mask

The take off spots at both breaks is well overhead. Even if you get caught inside and washed near the island at chickens the water is still waste deep...cokes is a different matter. There is a small keyhole to paddle out through...only about two meters wide. If the current is running in, north-west...and you have to duck dive, you will likely get swept across a shallow reef. At low tide this part of the reef is exposed, a foot or so under water at high tide. Saw a few Euros getting friendly with the reef a few times. But thats nowhere near where you actually catch the waves...similar to Chickens, the water is at least waist deep at the shallowest point of the wave

rmb
barnacle

Post by rmb » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:13 am

Nice photos God looks like heaps of fun. Any barrels at Cokes on the 4-6 days?

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:01 pm

rmb wrote:Nice photos God looks like heaps of fun. Any barrels at Cokes on the 4-6 days?
yeah there are a few barrel sections but it is similar to chickens...almond shaped, you would need to keep a high line and wipe off speed. If you go there just wanting to get barreled I think you would leave disappointed

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:15 am

Almighty God wrote:
ctd wrote:How deep is the water at the breaks (I've never been there)?
The interesting thing about that is how deceptive that is...because the water is so chrystal clear...you can see to the bottom really easily...so it looks really shallow. Its super spectacular...you can go for a snorkel whilst waiting for waves,,,no need for a mask

The take off spots at both breaks is well overhead. Even if you get caught inside and washed near the island at chickens the water is still waste deep...cokes is a different matter. There is a small keyhole to paddle out through...only about two meters wide. If the current is running in, north-west...and you have to duck dive, you will likely get swept across a shallow reef. At low tide this part of the reef is exposed, a foot or so under water at high tide. Saw a few Euros getting friendly with the reef a few times. But thats nowhere near where you actually catch the waves...similar to Chickens, the water is at least waist deep at the shallowest point of the wave
I honeymooned in the Maldives ( kind of an arkward link there sorry God ) and while I didn't surf, we snorkeled everyday. I still don't know why they bothered to give us flippers, the currents were too strong. Theyd basically drop us off, then motor a few hundred metres down to where the current would take us, and pick us up there.

It's an interesting sight to float past a drop off, you can see a loooooong way down. We found the coral pretty grey to be honest, though the fish was where all the colour was. Crazy colours.

I hope to get there with a board in the next few years, knee depending.

It's a beautiful place

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:37 am

Can we get back to the toxic relationship story please?
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

Wubic Pig
Harry the Hat

Post by Wubic Pig » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:31 pm

Almighty God wrote:
andy2476 wrote:Got any photos of her you could post?
I'll try to get a shot of her blowing her neighbour for ya buddy...
Have you thought of contacting him and suggesting you go halves in the purchase of a tent?
Beanpole wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:44 pm
You have nothing I want or need.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:32 pm

Yeah, that looks like typical weak 2-3ft old man reefbreak Maldives surf.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:20 pm

You been there Steve?
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:12 pm

No Im saving it up for when I'm over 60 and cant surf real waves anymore.

Almighty God
regular

Post by Almighty God » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:24 pm

steve shearer wrote:No Im saving it up for when I'm over 60 and cant surf real waves anymore.
you are better than me

do you realise youre not in high school any more? just wondering

send my regards to the rest of the A list

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:26 pm

When I was hanging out with a Sioux tribe in Arizona they taught me a proverb "he who casts the smallest shadow makes the biggest noise" - You might wanna think about that Shearer.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:42 pm

hahahahahah, settle girls, they look like lovely waves.

Christ, some sensitive egos in here. I can understand it with God.

If I'm paying cash money for a surf trip I want to get barrelled and I want to be far away from Israelis, so that rules out the Maldives.

There's a reason the Maldives is marketed as a beginner/intermediates destination: it's because it is. Nice user friendly reefbreaks that rarely get over 3-4ft and feature easy takeoffs and gentle slopes. it's the perfect spot to take your kids or surfing spouse.

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:19 pm

Drailed wrote:When I was hanging out with a Sioux tribe in Arizona they taught me a proverb "he who casts the smallest shadow makes the biggest noise" - You might wanna think about that Shearer.
A lizard would cast a pretty small shadow so would an ant. They don't make any noise at all really.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy

andy2476
Owl status

Post by andy2476 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:20 pm

steve shearer wrote:it's the perfect spot to take your surfing spouse.
Ouch.
Drailed wrote:
#goteamiggy