supraspinatus tear

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: supraspinatus tear

Post by Trev » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:01 pm

merkin wrote:Anyone? Pretty sure it's that according to doctor google. I think I'm buggered. Always had some dodginess there and I know this sounds daft but I started wearing a (shithouse) steamer last week and it felt like that may not have helped along with having my arm ripped backwards around my head. Can't be arsed searching the forum - too sore to navigate the mousepad :oops:
That's what Fong had.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:04 pm

I dunno mate, when did it happen? if today probe should get an icepack on it for swelling. rest it and head to the doc, at least just give it a really good rest for couple of weeks.

FFS don't listen to carroll if he tells you to just surf through it and it'll be right.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:51 pm

Well are you roasting at least? I need some beans ASAP and it would be hard for me to stomach these excuses

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:33 pm

Yeah merks. I fiddled with it at Fong's request and he said he'd pm you. Which I gather he did.
All the best with it.
Might have to try to get some coffee before you chuck it in.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:47 pm

Righto I'll send an email tomozza

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:14 pm

Hi Merks that is what I had, it ended up being a 3 cm jagged tear and then when they operated they found a heap of other stuff. Get a MRI and find out exactly what it is then you can figure out how to treat it. If it is small it is treatable without surgery. When the swelling goes down, my surgeon had me using heat before he was able to operate. Google it as well there are thousands of sites so it must be fairly common..
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:04 pm

The best thing you can do is go through the diagnostic process. See a good physio who can do proper assessment first. He can recomend to your doctor what scans are needed to confirm.

Even if it is the rotator cuff, once the healing process has progressed a little and the inflammation isnt so bad then it doesn't have to stop you doing too many things. The rotator cuff muscles are very small muscles that don't have a very big role to play in movements of the arm other than keeping the joint held into its central position. The bigger muscles around them are more important for things like surfing. The catch is that the posture you hold your shoulder in greatly determines how much strain is placed on the rotator cuff muscles during movements like paddling and popping up, and often the mechanism that led to it in the first place was using an unstable shoulder position during high load or repetitive things.

Once you remedy that a shoulder injury like that can get a lot better.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:29 am

Its probably a bit early to surf with it if its still aching at night, but if you do, make sure you paddle with your shoulder blades pulled down and back. Thats especially important while your elbow lifts up to reach out for the next stroke. Thats your typical impingement range during paddle.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:28 am

Well done for being able to surf but be careful. I had what was inflammation maybe a slight tear but could still paddle and surf with a bit of pain then went for a surf when told to rest and ended up fully tearing the tendon pushing up on my second wave. You will know when it goes, it is like a rubber band snapping in your shoulder followed by pain followed by it being useless. Been now 6 months out of the water and still waiting for the ok to resume swimming. :(
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:16 pm

el rancho wrote:
FFS don't listen to carroll if he tells you to just surf through it and it'll be right.

i had an infraspinatus sprain with trigger points. Lots of stretching, strength/ resistance, lot's of self massage with one of those pyhsio balls. Still acts up, but I've surfed and paddled and swum my way through mine.

carroll is onto something.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism