Patellar snapped in half.

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Patellar snapped in half.

Post by Beerfan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:02 pm

So I snapped my patellar in half today after a fall. Have been having a few troubles with tendonitis which were getting better. No problem with the tendon being strained now,it's loose as a goose. Need surgery to wire it back together, then physio. 3 months or so. Bugger.

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Re: Patellar snapped in half.

Post by marauding mullet » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:05 pm

Beerfan wrote:So I snapped my patellar in half today after a fall. Have been having a few troubles with tendonitis which were getting better. No problem with the tendon being strained now,it's loose as a goose. Need surgery to wire it back together, then physio. 3 months or so. Bugger.
My eyes are watering, fcuk that's gotta hurt.
Direct hit onto concrete or what?
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:20 pm

No actually slipped on my good leg and fell down and the bad knee bent in a normal motion but because my quad muscles are weak, the tendon must have taken the load and somehow the knee cap snapped before the tendon. I think it's actually a lot better scenario than torn tendons etc.

I had just come from looking at a few boards, as a goal for when I get over my tendonitis. Lucky I didn't buy one huh!?.

I'm ok for now though after a week or two on the lounge, after surgery, I'm probably gunna be a miserable person :).

It hurts pretty badly when I move it but laying down is ok. I've got panadeine forte but have resisted so far.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:26 pm

Broken bones is better than snapped tendons in most cases, at least there is that

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:49 am

The Fort Knox looked good, the semi bonzer bottom would go good over where youre going I reckon. The mollusc would be nice in smaller or fuller waves I think. Would paddle awesome as well. Nice pulled in round tail too.

When i get back in the water ( could be xmas ) I'll look at a mollusc for sure. 7'0" was sweet as.

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:52 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:It was close! If I'd had the money I'd have grabbed it I reckon. Really curious about those bottom contours. If they'd offered a set of fins, or a tail pad, or maybe even a leggy I probably would have put a deposit on it. Still thinking about it. If I didn't have to be somewhere I'd probably be still looking at it.

Must resist.

Ask them for any of that stuff?

Gotta remember surf shops wanna sell 2nd hands boards ASAP and to them any hole is a goal

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:15 am

So this shop refuses to grow in a leggie or tailpad or both to move a board?

What tools, they deserve to go out of business

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:20 am

I didn't see that this was in the health thread, so I bypassed it last few days. Thought you were talking about a board.
Faaark, it's yer knee huh? ouch!
Wish you a speedy recovery bf.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:12 am

Post op waiting to go home. Last night was pain pain pain but now not crazy bad. Can use crutches gingerly. Will be laying down for the next few days.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:15 pm

All the best beery
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:49 am

Thanks guys, next week or two I guess will be a bit painful bu I should be pain free enough to be relatively mobile by them.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:41 am

Sorry to hear. I am having shoulder surgery in may so I suggest we catch up for a beer after I can drive again and bitch about not surfing till august.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:02 pm

Haha that'd be funny. Cheers guys. Hope we all heal quickly!

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:19 pm

One week post op. Crutches I can use for small distances, much less pain and discomfort than the last week. Less pain in general, except for an occasional pulse in the cap itself ( not fun! ). Big difference really, although I'm still mostly sitting around on the lounge.

98% I'm mentally sweet, though occasionally I get a bit down. Probably normal I guess.

How bout you blokes?. I figure I'll use this thread as a bit of a log I suppose. Sometimes it helps to document progress. Feel free everyone else who's out injured to do the same

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:49 pm

Sounds like a plan, I will keep you posted post op.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:26 am

When is it mate?

--++sunstroke++--
Owl status

Post by --++sunstroke++-- » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:39 pm

Spoon wrote:Sounds like a plan, I will keep you posted post op.

Tranny :lol:
What's the difference between Elizabeth Warren & Kamala Harris?

One's pretending to be an Indian & the others pretending she isn't!

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:40 pm

:roll:

Even since Sunday I've become much more mobile on the crutches. I can do a lot more stuff, cooking etc. Feeling pretty good, no real pain. I've been switching on and off my quad muscles to try and stop the muscle wastage. Probably won't do much but feels good. Seem to be able to spend more time on the crutches as well.