Patellar snapped in half.

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Re: Patellar snapped in half.

Post by Beerfan » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:31 am

Yeah,,he only recommended it for when I inevitably knock my knee against the board and stuff. The patellar itself is a little ( ok a lot ) sensitive to knocks etc and probably will be for another 6 months or so.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:55 pm

I was wearing a neoprene knee brace earlier this year (over the wetsuit) and found that, inevitably, it got pushed (rolled) down and off my knee as I moved around the board, sat up and down etc. In the end I decided that the compression provided by the wetsuit was sufficient for my purposes and stopped using it; although I only had tendonitis so nowhere near your issues.

But if you need some padding rather than support, its probably a good choice, just remember to check it every now and then and pull it back into position. I didnt really notice it in terms of knee bending/surfing, in that whole gaggle of activity that accompanies turning and paddling etc, you arent thinking about or noticing a slightly restricted knee.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:56 am

Did my first hydrotherapy session at the Delmar Wellness centre. I had a tough old lady called Jan who put me through my paces. She was scary but really good. Swam laps of breastroke and worked out. Feeling good and young compared to the others.. Met Wayne Warner from Warner surfboards, poor blokes shoulders are not good at all from years of shaping and glassing. He's had about 4 ops and has been attending hydro sessions since about 2011 :shock: . Good bloke to have a chat with.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:55 pm

Close to surfing yet spoon?. I've kind of given myself a deadline for an attempt soon. Hopefully when this swell dies down and when we next get some small fatness. Going to start taking the longboard with me to work. I plan on purely trimming, cruising for a while, at least til I see how it goes.

Mind you, that's assuming I can get to my feet ok haha, could end up proning on the mal.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:10 pm

I am looking at about 3-4 weeks. Like you I am waiting for a typical spring day, about 1 foot and offshore go down mid morning when the sun is up and see what happens. Worst case is I just go for a paddle and test the shoulder out. The steamer may be the issue as I struggle with jumpers sometimes
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:08 pm

Well after 2.5mths out of the water I got my first surf back in the water this morning. Didn't get that many waves but still got a few to remind me what it's all about. Crowd was fecking insane but. Almost felt like I was surfing snapper (which I wasn't) the crowd was that bad.

God I need some paddle fitness though. Got no power in the paddle whatsoever.

I'm glad to be back though!!!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:17 pm

Donweather wrote:Well after 2.5mths out of the water I got my first surf back in the water this morning. Didn't get that many waves but still got a few to remind me what it's all about. Crowd was fecking insane but. Almost felt like I was surfing snapper (which I wasn't) the crowd was that bad.

God I need some paddle fitness though. Got no power in the paddle whatsoever.

I'm glad to be back though!!!
Good news Don.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:02 pm

Cheers Trev. Felt good to have salt water on me!!!

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:08 pm

Jealous don!.

When this swell fkukks off and things return to normal I'm hoping to test my knee out. Small n fat though.

Good luck spoon, hopefully we'll both get wet before the end of the month

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:52 pm

Got my 2nd surf in today. Felt good as not crowded and got a few more waves.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:00 pm

How do you rate your chances for unhindered surfing on the surfari?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:25 pm

Unhindered? As in back to 100% and surfing as I was pre accident? Not likely as subconscious still plays a big part in recovering from an injury and that will take time for my brain to realise my knee is fine.

I haven't even tried doing a big hard cutback yet either.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:04 pm

Hey Beery, this weekend could be the go. Small and westerlies. Supposedly 22 on Sunday.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:27 pm

I'm tempted !

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 pm

Well it does indeed look good for some rehab surfing on the weekend, better get the 9'1" down and dust it off haha. I walked past the farm today and it looked ideal for a test of the knee. Super small and fat.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:40 am

Well I got back in the water today. First surf since February and 4 months to the day from shoulder surgery. :-D-: I paddled with a limp which made my mate laugh as I don't have as much range as I thought so more stretching required. The shoulder itself felt good but the bicep tendon gave a bit of grief but that will pass. The surf was small and smooth and you could just about walk out the back which made it easy and it felt fantastic to be back in the saltwater. Took the big board out and managed about 6 waves so I can't complain. Baby steps but it is better than nothing. I must admit getting the steamer off was more of a challenge with a gumbo arm but pretty close to spring suit time. :-)(

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:00 am

Awesome mate!, much better than my effort. I had a pretty average night shift so dodged it. I looked at it the night before and it looked pretty crap. Boards still in the car though. It'll stay there til I get a wave.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:26 pm

Well done spoon. Sometimes saltwater is the best rehab!!