Patellar snapped in half.

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: Patellar snapped in half.

Post by Donweather » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:36 am

BF, surely you need the knee fully bent before you can surf again....not soo much once you're up and riding, but more so jump up on the board from the lying down position.....this is when your knee needs to be fully bent. This is the dilemma I have. I may be able to walk and bend my leg etc within 4-6 weeks but fully bent from a lying position to jump up on the board will be my hardest position to get back I reckon as the dr told me a fully ben leg puts the most pressure on your meniscus.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:14 pm

Yeah boo, the little info I can find on it suggests that range of motion improves with it out. It makes sense, as the 2 thicker wires protrude an extra inch either side of my patella, so in effect, when I bend past 125-130, those longer bits just get in the way.

Don, I did try a pop up the other day, the bend didn't seem to be a huge issue, it seems my foot ends up at 45degree angle. And also it doesn't feel strong enough yet to support a fast, loaded movement. Like I mentioned, ive been told that I'll probably be on a longboard for a while. Maybe it's a good excuse to get a single fin, less stress on the knees?

Shoot me if that happens please. In the head, and dump my body in a public place for all to see and throws rocks at the corpse :)

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:43 pm

Great news Don, bring on the boat I say. I saw the physio and she suggested I try stretching the arm up the wall in a hot shower and to my surprise I nearly got it straight up. Feeling positive for an October wave. It's all good here in the pain and suffering thread.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:57 pm

Spoon wrote:It's all good here in the pain and suffering thread.
Lmao!!!

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:15 pm

Donweather wrote:BF, surely you need the knee fully bent before you can surf again....not soo much once you're up and riding, but more so jump up on the board from the lying down position.....this is when your knee needs to be fully bent. This is the dilemma I have. I may be able to walk and bend my leg etc within 4-6 weeks but fully bent from a lying position to jump up on the board will be my hardest position to get back I reckon as the dr told me a fully ben leg puts the most pressure on your meniscus.
Try the 'aussie sprinter' pop up on a long board - requires some bending but not as much as a proper jump up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoH8xWlPNeg from around 3:15

However, if your injured knee is the back leg, it might put a bit too much pressure on that leg.

Also, you cant do it on any board where your feet hang over the tail when paddling. Also it looks a bit stupid.

Or the 'chicken wing' pop up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka-eHdV3M7o

It seems bizarre but maybe less stressful than a standard jump. However, it looks really stupid and again may not be useful if its your back knee.

Still, if they work who cares.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:02 pm

Thanks mate, I'll check them out.

If I need to wear a tutu and do yoga before paddling out to get back in the surf that's what I'll do!

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:34 am

I'm thinking of trying to get out on my longboard. Honestly, it would have to be slow fat, and weak, as I think I'll be slow to my feet. I think it could be possible though I'd be cruising and nothing more.

Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be doing a few shifts at work to see how I go. I think I'll be fine.

One thing though, I'm convinced the wires are going to give me grief for things like surfing and running until they come out. I'm also worried about leaving wires anchored into my tendon long term. So I'm planning on getting them out next year sometime.

Walking, stairs and normal paced things are fine, but any sudden or jolting movements and I can feel pain where the "k" wires are anchored.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:37 am

Beery, have you practised "pop-ups" (I hate that term :-? ) on your lounge room floor?
If you can handle them on the flat, it shouldn't be quite as bad in the surf where you can push the board down as you get up.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:45 pm

Yeah a few times, it's a bit gumby at the moment. Bit more range of motion would be good :(. Like I wrote, at best I'd only be looking at small n fat runners, just to see. Could end in tears and me riding the mal lying down haha

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:02 pm

Perhaps you need one of the larger NSP longboards - suggest the 11ft one - 11'0'' x 25 3/4'' x 4 1/16'' (yes, 25 3/4!)

Or if you are feeling good, the 10'2'' x 24'' x 3 1/2''

http://www.surfindustries.com/surfboard ... boards.php

:-D-: :-D-:

More seriously, good luck - must be frustrating the hell out of you.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:14 am

What an odd 24 hours. I tried some pop ups yesterday. Pretty crap. Was convinced it wasn't going to work. Felt pretty crap

Just home from the gym, where lo and behold, one of the blokes there had the same thing. He got the wires out and has made a full recovery, can run etc. I was pretty keen to get them out anyway but it's made my mind up.

Knowing surgeons I probably won't get it done til after Xmas but that's not that far away. No guarantees but I really think it'll make a difference. Pretty upbeat at the moment.

Weird how random stuff can change your mind space.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:53 am

Looks like the physio is letting me go back to work. Full duties no restrictions. Hope to have papers next week or maybe even today. Jagged an appt with the surgeon next week. Probably aim for first thing next year to get the wire out. Might be back for autumn :)

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:29 am

I will meet you for a wave at kiddies corner at Freshie in Sept. Could be funny. :-D-:
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:58 am

Thought I was progressing well until I was at soccer training last night with my son….not doing much other than standing behind the goals stopping the wayward shots at goal, when I stepped back into a rut in the grass and feck me, my knee bent backwards beyond vertical….fecking hurt like hell.

Did physio exercises this morning and knee is very sore and some clicking coming from it as I bend it!! Feck it, anyone want a fecked up leg as I’m about to chop this fecker off!!!!

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:05 pm

Spoon wrote:I will meet you for a wave at kiddies corner at Freshie in Sept. Could be funny. :-D-:

Haha you can't paddle and I can't pop up?. Maybe a ginormous sup, I'll paddle it in and you pop up? :)

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:06 pm

Donweather wrote:Thought I was progressing well until I was at soccer training last night with my son….not doing much other than standing behind the goals stopping the wayward shots at goal, when I stepped back into a rut in the grass and feck me, my knee bent backwards beyond vertical….fecking hurt like hell.

Did physio exercises this morning and knee is very sore and some clicking coming from it as I bend it!! Feck it, anyone want a fecked up leg as I’m about to chop this fecker off!!!!
Hang in there mate, you'll get there.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:16 pm

Cheers BF. I shouldn't complain mate as your injury is way worse than mine. But it's just frustrating when I was thinking I was doing so well in recovery and then I regress backwards again.

6 weeks til my boat departs!!!

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:29 am

Don't panic Don. A lot can change in 6 weeks. I went from thinking I will touch my head again I had so little movement but that passes,I still have pain but manageable to the extent it pushes you to stretch more with your exercises and you also lose the sudden sharp ones with time.