Charities in Padang

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

booradley
regular

Charities in Padang

Post by booradley » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:13 pm

Heading to the Ments soon. Is it worth bringing anything for local charities there? Anyone know of any?

Indo dreaming
regular

Re: Charities in Padang

Post by Indo dreaming » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:40 pm

The obvious one is Surf Aid, but there is other smaller groups mostly christian based that do work through Sumatra.

I dont know how you would go with Surf Aid, there a big organisation obviously they do good work but ive also heard many negatives of wasted money etc personally i tried to get some help from them to build some communal toilets in a remote village, said id raise the money and just wanted them to manage the project, i got pin balled from one person to another then no one ever got back to me?

What were you thinking of bringing?

If you are staying at a resort or going on a boat, i would contact them and ask them the question.

Even taking old surf brand t-shirts or boardies etc is a good idea to trade with the local selling souvenirs from canoes even if its to sweeten the deal.

If you are going on a trip north Dr Derek from www.troppodoc.com does some good things in Nias and the Tellos.