Bruised ribs

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

longyfreshy
Grommet

Bruised ribs

Post by longyfreshy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:47 am

Just wondering if anyone knows how long the pain of bruised ribs take to disappear.

About just over 4 weeks ago I was on holidays and my own board came up and hit me in the ribs. The pain was excruciating, to breath, cough or even move properly it hurt like hell. As I was in Sri Lanka I didn't do anything about it and my rib cage felt in tack. I still had some more surfs after taking a lot of pain killers but really could only surf very little as lying on my board was painful.

Anyways after all this time I am still getting pain when sleeping on that side, stretching and after I have had a surf back home and I might add it has been in small surf it hurts after.

I am wondering if maybe I cracked them specially at my age bone density becomes a problem specially through menopause (sorry to all the squeamish :) ). I am just hoping it doesn't take too much longer to fell like normal.

Thanks for any info.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Bruised ribs

Post by alakaboo » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:24 am

Sounds like you cracked one. Easy to do, especially the lower floating ones.
Treatment would probably be the same anyway, you can't do much for them. Ibuprofen and rest.
X-ray can be an idea if the pain is sharp.
They take 4-8 weeks to heal if you don't reinjure them.

There are inflatable rash shirts which are meant to help.

If you aren't doing weight bearing exercise or light weights for your bone density you should start.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:25 pm

More likely to be rip cartilage damage rather than a fractured ... but then again I'm no doctor. Either way its the same prognosis for both scenarios ... 6-8 weeks ... sometimes longer. Paddling is a no no. Enjoy.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:59 pm

I bruised mine in a speedway crash once. Got T-boned on the driver's side and the roll cage came in onto my ribs.
Excruciating as you say and the old, "It only hurts when I breathe" is very true.
Took weeks to improve to a manageable state. But I wasn't surfing at the time.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:15 am

I had what I thought was a bruised rib, not painful enough to be busted but stopped me surfing and lifting. Turn out that the spine where it connects with the bottom of the ribcage was out of line, chiro relieved it immediately and it was fixed in a few weeks. Worth a look if it doesn't go away.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:19 am

Trev wrote:I bruised mine in a speedway crash once. Got T-boned on the driver's side and the roll cage came in onto my ribs.
Excruciating as you say and the old, "It only hurts when I breathe" is very true.
Took weeks to improve to a manageable state. But I wasn't surfing at the time.
I've only had boards hit me and bloody hard a few times, I had an mri done on my upper body a few years ago and they asked if I had been in a car crash as the damage was consistent with that.

longyfreshy
Grommet

Post by longyfreshy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:32 am

Thanks everyone I will just have to be patient. I also hurt my thumb in the surf a few months back and did tendon damage and I still get little twinges with it sometimes.
I was told once because of the little injuries I always get and I don't go into big surf that I am too old and maybe I should give up! Almost nearly did when I was caught out the back on a huge day and thought I was going to die :) won't make that mistake again.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas