General snow stuff

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Re: General snow stuff

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:18 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:25 pm

Legion wrote: I could quite easily turn your argument around and say that with modern skis/snowboards the hydrodynamic efficiency side of the spectrum lies squarely with skis.
Well, while we are here and in the spirit of lively yet civilised debate, go right ahead.

I'd like to hear it.

While you are there, as a surfer, with that sideways skillset, don't you ever look at snowboards in pow and think you could easily translate your surfing skillset and mental pathways to the snow?

Ie draw similar lines from a wave to a mountain?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:50 pm

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:57 pm

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:28 pm

thanks mate, excellent exposition

regular

Post by 8 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:11 pm

I wish I had a background in technical Europe........things would be different.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:20 pm

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:18 pm

I snowboarded for a bit in the '80s after seeing the first articles of seppos doing it in american surf mags and nagged my mum and dad for a Burton Elite. Had quite a few arguments with lifties in the Alps who'd never seen one and wouldn't let me go on some of the time. How things have changed...

The thing I didn't like about it is the feeling of restraint, of not being able to move your feet, which I do quite a lot when I'm surfing and skateboarding (which I was doing a lot of at the time). Maybe I should try a modern board some time and see if there's much difference
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:50 pm

godsavethequeen wrote:I snowboarded for a bit in the '80s after seeing the first articles of seppos doing it in american surf mags and nagged my mum and dad for a Burton Elite. Had quite a few arguments with lifties in the Alps who'd never seen one and wouldn't let me go on some of the time. How things have changed...

The thing I didn't like about it is the feeling of restraint, of not being able to move your feet, which I do quite a lot when I'm surfing and skateboarding (which I was doing a lot of at the time). Maybe I should try a modern board some time and see if there's much difference
that would be like saying you rode a single fin in the 70s and should try a modern day HPS to see if theres any difference! there has been a lot of advancement in design and tech in boards in the last decade alone. in fact boots,bindings outerwear all have.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:00 pm

Up and down on lifts all day. Feeling like such a punter.... The only thing that would interest me these days would be doing some Nordic skiing or something.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:42 pm

As a kid and teenager I looked jealously at those punters.

Most memorable experiences were skiing up the south side of Perisher into Guthega and back again (before Blue Cow), a retun trip to Charlottes via the Porcupines in harsh, harsh conditions as a very young teenager and a day trip to the main range in the most perefct conditions imaginable. Then Nordic is fun. Skating is always fun. Going down hills is even funner.

regular

Post by 8 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:01 pm

You haven't really done euro until you have rapped in to some gnar off the Aiguille.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:57 am

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:44 am

yeah, that is deffo the main advantage I see of skiiing: the speed and control in DH.

awesome stuff.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:40 pm

Legion please do not delete these posts...

I just got back into skiing after about 17-18 years away from it. Similar to Shep, did a couple of seasons in Colorado, came back & had a shitty weekend in Thredbo & decided I was over it. Too cold, too expensive, too hit or miss in this country, & I was no longer interested. Barely even thought about it. My parents (who started me skiing when I was about 5 or 6 would ask me every few years why I don't do it anymore & then when the kids came along they'd be suggesting I should be getting them into it, like they had done with my sister & myself. Still not interested until the seed was planted into my daughters head & after a bit of hassling I was convinced to take the family down about a month or so ago.

Anyway we lucked out big time. A ton of snow, I got the bug back & now I'm looking at getting raped every winter by family ski trips. So here is my question regarding the modern day equipment. Last pair of skis I had were a pair of 203cm bump skis. We go to the hire joint & I end up with a pair that sit under my chin. The things are so easy to use that I pretty much pick up where I left off. Even hit a dedicated bump run at Thredbo & was able to link 20+ turns before being shot out. I used to do a lot of moguls overseas but didn't think I'd stand a chance so many years later, but the length of these new (?!?!) parabolic skis made it easy. Only thing I didn't like about them over the rest of the mountain was the lack of speed. This may have been (probably was) due to the fact they were shitty hire skis, but what is the go on these things these days? I'm heading back down in a week & a bit to hopefully get the last of the season's snow but what should I look for? Are the upgrade hire skis that much better or do I need to look at getting a decent pair of my own eventually?

Oh yeah I'm with Ronson on the teaching your kids thing. Tried it on the first day & it was an unmitigated disaster. Threw them in ski school the next day & the two of them came along in leaps & bounds. Thredbo was very reasonably priced in that department unlike Perisher I might add, & worth every cent,if only to allow me & Mrs Karlos to get three hours of proper skiing sans children.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:21 pm

Having worked in ski tuning places at resorts I'd bet houses they weren't waxed and tuned properly.
Dunno enough about skis but try and find out what the up-specced gear is, often there isn't a big difference in quality for the price premium

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:49 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:39 am

Legion wrote:Lol, I was thinking about it, Karlos. Gives a lot away.
What with your Teutonic connections, desire for anonymity and your adeptness in snowy climes I'm starting to suspect that you are in fact none other than the last remaining Waffen SS Gebirgsjäger, hiding from your awful misdeeds in the bosom of your unsuspecting Australian hosts. Give it up, you foul beast
Beanpole wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:48 pm
To tell the truth eggs are one thing I avoid buying when I’m grocery shopping. So you may say I’m an intermittent egg buyer who usually lets someone else buy them.