General snow stuff

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Re: General snow stuff

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:29 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:14 pm

stop what ron? having an opinion that differs from yours lol

http://www.levelninesports.com/?gclid=C ... oCtMTw_wcB

ill give you guys a tip, buy gear from these guys, especially kids ski packages. $250 landed here in 3 days.
after a few seasons u will get around 150 on ebay. I know this first hand.they sell ski boots that can be adjusted to growing feet, super easy on and off too. so weigh up 2-3yrs of rentals against the outlay and the time it takes to get the stuff/return it.helmets, goggles etc cheap as chips as well. also if you are gunna hire, stop at rhythm at cooma. half the price of perisher. don't get ass raped!

and I stand by my comment about snowboarding not being like lid riding. ive seen skiers jump on boards and vice versa, and wouldn't say the skiers were at some higher level once on a board after a few days compared to a boarder jumping on skis for the same amount of time. and if you think going reasonably fast on a board linking turns makes you upper intermediate, well that's like saying only being able to ski fast on skis makes you the same. maybe in the 90s, but today that's crap. with all the parks, rider X, pipes there is a lot to master for both, and there is just no way you could be shredding all those in 1 season unless you are the next talented freak to come along. realistically, what was higher intermediate 10-12yrs ago is more like lower int now. and that's naturally just progression of each sport and tech advancements.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:37 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:I'm not a patient man and the getting all the kids ski shit together is a pain in the arse. They can all ski proficiently now but remember their gloves...? Not on your life. On the back of that patient and thoughtful instruction from me is highly unlikely. So when they are finally all in ski school it's a relief and then you can relax and enjoy your day to the maximum.
Fcuk, that was why I had zero interest in going with the kids. I still remember when we were kids & the frustration of the old man trying to get the family out of the lodge in Jindabyne & on to the mountain only to find one or more of us had left goggles or gloves behind. He always made sure he had a week in August with his mates as compensation for the pain his family put him through.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:42 pm

I should add there's some good info here Legion, Ronson, Brendo & 'boo. Rather helpful.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:28 am

Karlos wrote:
Rockin' Ron wrote:I'm not a patient man and the getting all the kids ski shit together is a pain in the arse. They can all ski proficiently now but remember their gloves...? Not on your life. On the back of that patient and thoughtful instruction from me is highly unlikely. So when they are finally all in ski school it's a relief and then you can relax and enjoy your day to the maximum.
Fcuk, that was why I had zero interest in going with the kids. I still remember when we were kids & the frustration of the old man trying to get the family out of the lodge in Jindabyne & on to the mountain only to find one or more of us had left goggles or gloves behind. He always made sure he had a week in August with his mates as compensation for the pain his family put him through.

When I take the kids, I've got a backpack that just has all the accessories I need in it, ie, goggles, gloves, neck warmers etc, the stuff that gets left behind otherwise! Once they are dressed, helmets on, I dish out all that stuff. End of day goes straight back in bag then next to heater when in jindy. Repeat next day. The only stuff up this yr was my daughter got ready, chucked on the ugg boots and when we got to car park realized she forgot to put socks on, so it was ski boots, no socks. First world problem.... she soon forgot about it but feet got sweaty

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:26 am

legion, thanks for awesome information. I really hope you don't delete. Couple more questions. I am going to bring (my brothers) Rev 85 Pro Head skis ( classified as all mountain) as I figure most of the available hire ski will be piste orientated with narrow waist, which might not be the best for Nozawa if I want to dabble in some easy tree runs and ski on the groomers? Looking at the maps Karasawa looks wide, big and with 1 left empty. Although green it looks like there are a few sneaky areas both sides?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:33 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:47 pm

It looked more interesting than just flat on the map but they can be deceiving. That was kinda my thought, if it dumps I'll get something wider (when it dumps?!). Last thing I want is to be stuck with (albeit decent) on piste skis from a hire shop, Tomy Rentals has some premium Ogasaka with sub 70 mm waists and I got a bit worried.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:23 pm

Popped back in to read some of Legion's stuff.

Appreciate your desire for anonymity, but would have cut and pasted some stuff offline if I'd known...

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:25 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu May 14, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:08 am

Nah, I was just starting to get amped and wanted to read it again.
I've still got the other info you gave me

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:41 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu May 14, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:46 pm

Yeah, bit late but looks okay.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Puking snow in Japan yesterday.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:38 pm

Yeah by all accounts they've had some ridiculous snow over the last couple of days. Hope it keeps dumping!!! :-)(

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:56 pm

with all the different options these days, what do you guys prefer to ride...rocker or camber or hybrid?
and the question is for the skiers too!
I find the rocker boards to be good, but to washy at speed. gotta nurse em through turns somewhat. I rode one the whole season last yr. it was good for freestyle and butters, and also In back to back days of 10-15 of fresh as the rocker gives the nose some lift. but this yr I went back to camber the back end of the season, and well I think ill stay on it. such a more stable feel. I reckon rocker is good for beginner to low intermediates as there is less chance of catching an edge, but all round camber is best

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:12 pm

Dunno anything about the new boards, I may have an opinion in a month or so.
I've decided not to take my 14yo 30cm wide powder board and to try and few different ones.

I'd reckon just based on the names that camber is good on piste and rocker good in deep powder.
Sort of the opposite of surfboards.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:09 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu May 14, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.