First OS surf trip.

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Re: First OS surf trip.

Post by petulance » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:13 pm

Nice clip, MM. They sure are getting a lot of waves in the clip.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:20 pm

Erm right so yeah I'm off the Telo Islands in a week or so. (!) :-D-:

And have a great time M.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:18 am

Only just started reading this thread.

I sayed at South Lombok just out of Kuta (Lombok) about three years ago. Stayed at the Novitel with a mate and got an awesome deal. It was cheap as chips (shared) compared to how nice it was. I think we paid like $50 each a night at the time because it was not very busy.
We just went to the airport in Bali and got a flight to Lombok 2 hours later. Basically we just wanted to get out of Bali because 1 day was more than enough in that sh!t hole.

There is a reef break right near the Novitel called Sigar reef. Nothing to write home about but was still pretty fun and we surfed it to ourselves early each morning. I think crowded out there was like 4 or 5 people. It broke everyday we were there from 3 foot to almost double over head. You can get shaked out there on the lower tide but watch the urchins. Again not the best wave in indo but it was easy to get to and consistent.
Surfed outside Grupuk. It was solid 8-10 foot but just had a heap of fatness to it. Plus our boat driver took off fishing and left the three of us out there till dark.

Much more laid back than Bali and while the waves are more often than not so so, you can often get some breaks to yourself. Also bit of a mission but you can do a long day trip to Dessert Point from Kuta. You can also get to Inside and Outside Ekkas however they can be pretty fickle and you will go past Grupuk Bay which will probably be more consistant.
Anyway that's the South Lombok option.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:29 am

Are you going to be on Doxy for malaria?
If so, not much point in the Keflex script. They are different drugs but both antibiotics.
Better to take some hydrogen peroxide to clean the cut properly. Reef cuts are nasty.
Anti diarrhoeal is probably more important than the Maxolon - gastrostop is fine and true to it's name, you'll be posting in the poo thread after that one.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:30 am

Damage wrote:Erm right so yeah I'm off the Telo Islands in a week or so. (!) :-D-:

And have a great time M.
Where you staying Damage?
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:40 am

Yeah what Natho said.
South Lombok is pretty good. There are a couple of other breaks too, Mawi and Marwun I think.
One of them is verry shallow, can't remember which one.
Gerupuk is a learner wave, good introduction to surfing reefs as it is covered in sponges so you bounce off.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:52 am

yeh boo I know the shallow wave you are talking about. Don't think its Mawi? Its very shallow and you have to dodge the wooden stakes they have put all along the line up for the sea weed farms. And wire and sh!t.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:21 pm

You mean the one in the bay off the village on the way to Gerupuk?
Lots of tiger sharks there.

I meant Marwun - there is a right and a left when the swell is up, hardly anyone surfs it
The right is short and sharp, the left is longer but not very deep at all.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:34 pm

Hmmm, I haven't heard of Marwun before. I think Segar Beach is near Kuta and Tanjung Ahn is on the way to Gerupuk, past the Novotel.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:48 pm

There is a right and left in a bay as you drive away from the Novatel heading to Grupuk. I think that's the wave boo is talking about. My mate surfed it and said it was super shallow. Think it needs a big swell to get in there.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:02 pm

That's the one.
It is one bay closer to Gerupuk than Tanjung Aan (sp?).

I think it needs to be over 8 ft at Gerupuk for it to break well, there is a reef outside that drops it down to about 4 ft inside.
It is a really fun wave but also shallow.
Best from mid to just under high tide because at high tide the bigger tiger sharks can get over the outside reef.

Got rolled underwater for 50m or so over that reef, took about 18 months for the scars on my shins to properly heal.
I've never got out of the water so fast when I saw the blood.

Marwun is to the west of Kuta. You go up a big hill then down and to the left. Beautiful bay, not amazing surf.
Mawi a lot better especially the right in the middle of the bay.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:19 pm

to avoid the shit...shot of apple cider vinegar before breaky and dinner.
coral cuts...squeeze fresh lime or lemon juice into wound.

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:59 pm

On lombok, getting around means motorbike travel. Anything to the west of Kuta means motorbike travel on the worst road in history. Mawi is the left hander down that way, but honestly the road is a shocker, I don't think it's worth the ride although there are some spectacular sights from high places and some equally spectacular empty beaches on the way. Mawi is a bugger to find too, the track goes through rice paddies a trail bike would struggle on, you would swear you were lost. Strong rip at this break.

East of Kuta it's all very good bitumen and pretty safe on a bike. The right hander outside at Gerupuk can be good, it's a bit shouldery but I did see people getting covered up when it was bigger. It goes by several names, but roller coasters is what they were calling it when I was there, for obvious reasons.
Don't know much about the other places the other guys mentioned, Mawun, Seger, Tanjung Ahn, etc. I never really explored them.
The left is Mawi.
Attachments
rollercoasters.jpg
mawi.jpg
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:01 pm

Gday Ducky, I'm staying at ZLR with 4 good mates, 3 brothers of mates and about 5 other mates of mates. Pretty excited!

You gonna be around?

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:19 pm

Damage wrote:Gday Ducky, I'm staying at ZLR with 4 good mates, 3 brothers of mates and about 5 other mates of mates. Pretty excited!

You gonna be around?
No such luck Damage, just curious as i was in the Telos Sept last year, at the Telos Surfing Village, right in front of Pastis, the premium right hander in that part of the world. LZR boys were around nearly every day to scope it out.

You'll be doing a lot of boat travel I think. No waves out the front of LZR from what I understand, all waves are a boat ride - north towards the Island Lodge or south to the Surfing Village area. Some great waves, hope you score big time, especially Pastis. When it's on it's really fast and really hollow (best on the low tide).
smnmntll wrote:

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:29 pm

Here's Pasti going off Damage, best day we had it.
Don't mean to jump on your thread Matticus

DSC_0994.jpeg
smnmntll wrote:

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:27 am

mentone mansions wrote:On lombok, getting around means motorbike travel. Anything to the west of Kuta means motorbike travel on the worst road in history. Mawi is the left hander down that way, but honestly the road is a shocker, I don't think it's worth the ride although there are some spectacular sights from high places and some equally spectacular empty beaches on the way.
The road from Kuta to Mawi is a shocker. Well, the bit towards the end after the hill anyway. I was told that it used to be worse and that the extended the bitumen sections before I was there. But the last few kms are really bad. You would struggle getting there in a van after it rains as the road just turns into bog central.

Mawi breaks left and right. The left was the more mellow of the two when I was there. Was chockers as when I was there, as bad as a Sydney city beach on a summer weekend. I can't remember the swell direction but Gerupuk Bay was flat so everyone went to Mawi.

mentone mansions wrote: The right hander outside at Gerupuk can be good, it's a bit shouldery but I did see people getting covered up when it was bigger. It goes by several names, but roller coasters is what they were calling it when I was there, for obvious reasons.
The right hander outside Gerupuk (Outsides Right) is the best wave in the bay. Insides Right would be the best if not for the fact that it is the most crowded break in Gerupuk. There is also Outsides Left which is only surfed when the rest of Gerupuk gets too small. I remember the nose of my board touching the reef at Outsides Left when I did a duck dive getting back to the break.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:04 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:
black duck wrote:Don't mean to jump on your thread Matticus
Not at all - entirely relevant.

Can I just get american dollars at the airport here? I asked at the post office and they said a minimum $200, I only need $25.
Can be handy having a few US dollars in Indo Matticus, especially if our dollar falls.
Greenbacks are common trade.
smnmntll wrote: