How to carry boards on rental Toyota Tarago?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

How to carry boards on rental Toyota Tarago?

Post by admin » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:29 am

I'm hauling my family off on a week's trip to Scott's Head and I'm renting a Tarago to do it. Is there any way to get boards on top of one of these things if it doesn't have racks?

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

toyota rack prob

Post by admin » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:34 am

uther wrote:get soft racks-they hook into the doorframe.
I looked at a tarago this morning and can't see how the racks can hook on to the top of the door frame as it is almost vertical (being located on the outer edge of the roof). Have you actually done this? If softracks worked, that'd be great.

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:35 am

I've used extra long tie-downs in this scenario numerous times - just wrap them over the top of the boards, and then through the cabin window and secure in the middle (however, this was with the Tarago from a few years back - not sure what the current model would be like).

It works really well as long as (a) it's not raining (water will flow down the tie-downs and drip at the lowest spot inside the car), and (b) you put a few twists in the tie-downs to alleviate that annoying humming sound.

RyanM

Post by RyanM » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:54 pm

The tarago has sliding doors in the back right? I guess the soft racks that wrap around through the cabin of the car would be out then.

Some rental companies around, especially small local ones, will rent you normal racks and put them on the car for you. I think that may be your best (only) bet. Good luck!

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:26 pm

Hmmm.. I could see where that could be a problem, but I certainly have done it many times with a Tarago that had sliding doors... just can't remember the exact logistics. Maybe you have to get the back seat passengers to exit through the front? (the new Taragos have a 'walk through' feature).

RyanM

Post by RyanM » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:29 pm

I guess you could loop the front one through the front doors, then loop the back one around the very back of the sliding door, with the door only half open and make sure it would clear the closing mechanism in the back. Then you just have to make sure nobody opens the sliding doors all the way and slice through the strap halfway through your trip. :?

I've got a set of double racks that only get used twice a year. You are welcome to drop by and try them out on the Tarago. It would be my way of thanking you for this site that I check almost every day!

Bigpete

Post by Bigpete » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:19 am

Hangon, You're taking a Tarago. That's basically a van with seats. Open up the tailgate, shove the boards in, tell the whingeing occupants to shut up and go surfing.
Hope the banks are linking up for you and you get to walk back from a long way down the beach.
Hey, let's not mention the name of our fave spot too much. Tell the mob you're off to Crescent and just keep going that bit further.
Good on yez all
Bigpete

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:21 am

It's also worth pointing out that if you're hiring from one of the larger rental car companies, you're actually not suppossed to put any form of racks on them (soft or hard). This will be in amongst one of the numerous points that you'll sign off on when you pick up the car. They also seem to (in my experience, anyway) have a habit of going over the car with a fine tooth comb - and any scratches on the duco (from soft racks) could show up quite easily.

Mark - [email protected]

Soft Racks

Post by Mark - [email protected] » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:35 pm

I also have soft racks which you are welcome to borrow - I am at Castle Hill or I can drop them to you early on Saturday (7am). Thanks for your website. Have a great trip.

James

Soft Racks

Post by James » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:05 pm

We hire the tarago ("god van" ) every year for our surf trips, and the soft racks hook on quite well, you need to get in under the door seal though to ensure there firmly locked on...

James

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:57 pm

just thought I'd let you guys know that one of the RS reporters has leant me a set of FCS soft racks to use on the trip. My neighbour has the regular kind, so come Friday arvo, I'll be experimenting prepatory to the post 2bl surf report departure Sat. I'm gonna stick something soft around the racks so as not to scratch the duco (thanks for the tip Thermalben). You were right T., the rental people said no racks... what they don't know... :wink:

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:14 pm

Final follow up: the FCS racks which thread through the cabin, worked fine. We had a current model Tarago and I found that you could put the back rack straps through behind the rearmost travel of the sliding door mechanism. The front racks were threaded through at leading top corners of the sliding doors (the vehicle has sliders on both sides). Again, the straps were out of the way of the slider mechanism. We went through an absolutely torrential downpour at one point and some water travelled down the straps and into the cabin, but it was a very minor issue.