Easter in the South Pacific

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

nthnbeachesguy
Local
Location: Sydney, where??? dont take a rocket scientist to figure that out!

Easter in the South Pacific

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:28 am

Haven't really been around these boards for a while, got a notification in my hotmail about an old subscribed post of mine receiving a reply so remembered they existed and stopped in for a look around. Motivated me enough to share a quick trip I did with my girlfriend over Easter just gone. She was adamant she didn't want to go to Fiji and I wanted a direct flight so with that in mind booked 7 days at a resort with the mindset that it was to relax and unwind and if I got surf it would be a bonus as this spot is definitely no Indo and it's a long way from Club Med as well but it ended up being comfortable enough.

Out of the 7 days we were there the first day was really good, the second day was ok, the third day was horrible, similar to an east coast low with howling onshore winds and rain. The fourth day was fine but not much surf improvement, the fifth day was like a NE day on the northern beaches, the sixth day was really good and the last day was postcard perfect.

It was never big but it certainly was fun, the last two days I spent over 10 hours in the water and my girlfriend was even nice enough to get some pics. One of the other guests even got some vid of me, as per usual when the camera is pulled out you always miss the best stuff but the below should give you a taste of what it was like. I would add that taking your snorkel gear is a must, makes the average days more interesting.

A little bit actual surfing in this vid and lots of empty waves.
https://vimeo.com/63394629

EDIT: I had posted a few pics but apparently you can only post up to 950 wide and I really can't be bothered resizing.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Easter in the South Pacific

Post by Trev » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:55 am

Nice spot.
Fun waves.
Welcome back.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

nthnbeachesguy
Local

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:04 pm

Cheers mate, I really enjoyed myself, to the point where I'm going back with a few mates later this year for another week. We were planning on heading way out into the pacific but we put that off till next year as it's 4 days of travelling and that's a bit much for a week of surfing. Hopefully going with mates will get a lot more footage, will havta wait till November to see eh!

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:49 pm

Nice little uncrowded waves. I can understand why you wouldn't want to name the place. :wink:

Looks like a coral bottom in shallow water - did you ever hit the reef?

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:54 pm

How shallow was that left hander when it was filmed?
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

nthnbeachesguy
Local

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:27 pm

Kinda nudged the reef a couple of times but hardly even got more than a tiny scratch, nothing to worry about at all. The reef is quite shallow and there is definitely potential to hurt yourself. There is one part of that vid where you can see me pulling off the back and landing behind the wave, you can see how close I come to the reef pretty clearly. I have surfed quite a bit in indo and this was shallower than a lot of the waves I've surfed there but to be fair it wasn't as big either.