Pain in the NECK

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

bindy123

Pain in the NECK

Post by bindy123 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:11 pm

Battled with wicked neck pain all through last winter and up until the middle of December...which I did think at the time seemed to coincide with not regularly wearing a wetsuit...the onset of the pain always seemed to be from surfing...always starting some time into a session

Got really cold on Sunday so I wore my wetsuit again the last two days...and today about an hour in to my surf the horrid aching in my neck returned. So I am now convinced it is my wetsuit causing the problem.

Anyone else experience anything similar...anyone have some good advice on fixing the problem.

This last wetsuit is the first chest zip that I have ever worn...is it possible that system puts more pressure on the neck?

Anyway, thanks if anyone has some helpful info for me

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: Pain in the NECK

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:44 am

Best bet is to go and get it properly assessed first, then you can work out what will do the trick.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:06 am

Chiro and Physio are a good option

I used to get neck pain a lot after surfing, ditto front shoulder pain. But then I spent a lot of effort in improving my upper back and shoulder strength, lots of pull ups, weights etc.... Worked really well, I hardly get it at all anymore.

Might be something to consider...
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:05 pm

reginald wrote:
Grooter wrote:Chiro and Physio are a good option

I used to get neck pain a lot after surfing, ditto front shoulder pain. But then I spent a lot of effort in improving my upper back and shoulder strength, lots of pull ups, weights etc.... Worked really well, I hardly get it at all anymore.

You might also want look at getting a proper fitting Bra. Apparently Ill fitting Bras are the main cause of neck and back pain in large breasted men.
Have you ever tried licking your own nipples reg? It's an intoxicating sensory experience
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

bindy123

Post by bindy123 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:42 pm

Grooter wrote:
reginald wrote:
Grooter wrote:Chiro and Physio are a good option

You might also want look at getting a proper fitting Bra. Apparently Ill fitting Bras are the main cause of neck and back pain in large breasted men.
Have you ever tried licking your own nipples reg? It's an intoxicating sensory experience
:D :D Thats pretty funny stuff...but go easy now, I think I am starting to get a boner!

Saw the physio yesterday...little bit of gentle massage...he also suggested starting with that core strength stuff...but also a simple excercise routine just pushing my head against my hands...forwards backwards, then either side. Its pretty likely I have a bit of a disc bulge he thinks so of course suggested scans...will try the excercises for a while first and see if I can get it right

Replies much appreciated

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:50 am

I had neck pain for years and got the works, sports medicine doc Physio chiro MRI pan forte etc.
all these things cost me a lot of money and resulted in feeling slightly better.
Then my wife showed me simple neck stretches for before and after a surf.
Pain free ever since.
Erase.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:28 pm

Bindy, those neck strengthening exercises where you push against your hand are great. I was shown them years ago as a result of neck pain which used to end in a full blown stinker of a headache.
You can do them in the car in traffic at traffic lights and any other delays. I even used to do them on the highway out west at 110 kph. Fixed my problem is a couple of weeks. And if there's a long flat spell I still do them occasionaly so I don't suffer when the waves come back.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:22 pm

Otway the retired chiro speaking here; a good deal for any spine head to tail is having your spinal posture assessed and aligned, then taking up a set of exercises and stretches as have been mentioned getting the core strong and balanced on your boney structure is the key to minimal wear and tear and joint problems.
Massage is great and can often be all that is needed, sometime deeper work is needed. a proper assessment is the starting point for your choice in management.

The rewards of a stretch and core program carry right through everything you do physically.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:25 pm