Protect after rib injury

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

SurfieC
Local

Protect after rib injury

Post by SurfieC » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:24 pm

Hey,
I had maybe 2 weeks ago a rib injury, after a wave pushed my board in my rips. But sometimes was still surfing. Painfull and cant pretty well breath. Then I visited a doctor. After one week no surfing, he allowed now to surfing. But I have to protect my rips better. Anyone experience after rip injury. How to protect? With a special bandage? Or how to be more carefully when I surfing...
Thanks and merry x mas

chrisb
Owl status

Re: Protect after rib injury

Post by chrisb » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:23 am

Did you have an x-ray and if so did you break any ribs?

It takes about 6 weeks for broken ribs to mend.

Whether you surf during that time depends on your pain threshold. Bandaging won't help and lying on a board can be agony. If you you keep on surfing during that time avoid sudden jerky movements that could hinder your recovery.

SurfieC
Local

Post by SurfieC » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:14 am

I did have an x-ray, not broken ribs. Rib injury or bruise the ribs and but now I try no sudden movements. Sure, if I paddle and strikes back over a bigger wave and the board then to the ribs can still sometimes hurt, but duck diving is not any better. Probably I havent so much power and sometimes strikes me the wave back. But it's definitely better now with the rib injury. Thanks for your answer

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:29 pm

wingnut2443 wrote:So, what happened, you go straight to Noosa to fondle the fong?
Fong heard she was coming and ran off back to the mid north coast.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

SurfieC
Local

Post by SurfieC » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:09 pm

Hey Trev,
its not the topic. Now I m back in Sydney, no worries :wink: I great time in Noosa, dont need to meet some realsurfers, particular the tard of the year..

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:25 am

surfie c depending on the exact nature of the bruising, you might be carrying this injury for a while. Rib cartilage takes a long time to heal completely. There's not much you can do in the way of strapping or padding to help in the surf, a wetsuit will help a bit.

You're unlikely to hurt it more by surfing, so keep going. If you do further damage or feel it's getting worse, get another x-ray. Rib cracks can hide themselves.

blue7floyd

Post by blue7floyd » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:58 pm

There are chances that you hurt your hand again during surfing. That is you cannot predict you are not going to give pressure on your arms. So it is better to take one more week rest than doctor suggesting and do some exercise before you start surfing.