tumbleweed the extended australia trip

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: tumbleweed the extended australia trip

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:31 pm

I have upped my dosage to 50 mg of endep and also gulped down some oxy. The pain is still there but I'm know able to think a little clearer without the fog. My left leg feels like she is on fire so I'm going to get a mri to get a clearer picture. It will cost but doesn't matter. On the Sunshine Coast I have kenilworth Showgrounds to stay, for Newcastle hospital I have a mates place and for port Macquarie I cousins at Kempsey. I'm trying to stay positive through all this and drugging myself silly is one way to do it. I might lift the dosage of oxy or investigate medicinal cannibus for pain relief. My family is not in a good space for me to leave them yet and I have to put them first. Once we know which hospital I will go to then we will make a move. Till then bring on the drugs
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: tumbleweed the extended australia tripu

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:25 pm

It's 2.30 in the arvo and I've only had 2 crippling attacks. The pain killers might just be taking the edge off. It's no permanent solution but it will do for the moment.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:16 pm

Seeing the doc today to get results of MRI. I'm already resigned to the fact that I won't surf agian due to the movements involved. I have a near 3 yo to raise and I don't want to end up crippled cause I want to surf.

Though seriously, who here can say their last surf was at jakes when it was smoking and a medium sized half moon bay. I've had some great waves and seen many places in oz. Catcus is an awesome place, it should go on everyone's bucket list.

I will get back in the water, though all I will ride is a surf Matt when it's small so I don't damage the back.

Will post results when I get the full picture.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:29 pm

See what he says, you never know.

I have nothing like your spinal plight (just torn annular L2/3 and disc protrusion). But I'm not giving up. I'll ride a boogey board if I have to.

3 year old. Jeez mate, leaving it a bit late weren't we :mrgreen:

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:29 pm

Heavy, Digger.

Cranked is right- a mate of mine just recently presented himself at Emergency after a month of not being able to lift the toes on his right foot (commonly known as Drop foot). my step dad is an osteo who has previously helped him enormously with a bad case of Sciatica and he was onto it: get to emergency NOW, could be a nerve dying. Ham it up a little, don't worry.

Mate waited about an hour before having three top neurosurgeons all have a look at him. Decided it was a squashed nerve through the side of the knee, booked in for surgery a month later.

Absolutely free. Medicare is awesome and you out of anyone in Australia right now, deserve it.
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:29 pm

best wishes digger. some good advice here, follow it up.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:38 pm

Hope it works out digger....all the best.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:26 pm

how was xmas and new years digger?
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:00 am

Braithy, it was one of the best Christmas days our family has ever had. Very small, quiet, and we spent the day together and I will remember it for years to come mate. Hope yours was as good as mine.

Ive been thinking of posting on here for a while now to give an update but truly ive got nothing encouraging to add.

The meds have screwed with my head and body, sure they have takenn the pain away, though the side effects are just not worth it so im weaning myself back to drug free once more. Yes I will have to live with the pain, plus is I will be able to think with clarity and my internals wont be all stuff up.

On New Years Day I was rushed to hospital in an Ambulance with incredible siatic pain, totall blockage from all the codine, and chest pains. Unfortuanately I was taken to Gympie hospital were I was treated like a leper and after an hour thrown out in absolute agony on the footpath. I waited on my back for my wife to come pick me up. It took her an hour to travel from Kenilworth to get me and we went across to Nambour hospital to get checked out. Long story short is a official complaint will be filed which the queensland health that they can totally ignore.

Our travel days are over now.

We started four years ago with the dream of helping our children grow through their medical conditions, the best way was in a bus at the time on the road around oz. I kids have outgrown this and need different assistance. We will pull up stumps for a while, let my middle lad go into six grade and our oldest will start Distant Education.

Our youngest lad has just been diagnosed at two and a half with high functioning Autism as well, with this we will get funding for early intervention. We plan to take advantage of this and get as much help as we can.

We only have one shot at getting a home and we are thinking of going for it. Believe it or not it will be in Broken Hill.

Broken hill has an awesome Hospital, Schools, plus a wonderful ASD community. We can get all the early intervention young Jethro needs there. It has a flourishing Art community which suits my daughter down to the ground. A home will only set us back around 70 which can be paid back on the carers pension, once that runs out I will be able to get work driving long haul trucks no problem, I have a contact to get me in.

With my back my surfing days may be over so why the hell not. I live for the kids and wife so this is possible the next move once surgery occurs...

I will though demand a good shed to set up a shaping shed. A four hour trip to adelaide for supplies, blanks ext for a couple of months shaping and away I go. I will make boards I will probably never ride.

Im not complaining, ive surfed nearly all my life and I must put the needs of my ASD children before myself.

So if that is the case, I will eventually end this thread and begin another one in shaping as a back yard shaper in the middle of oz just having a blast.

My first plan though is to build a kick arse half pipe in the backyard as my middle boy is getting into scooters in a big way and conquering his fears and anxiety on the bloody things. He aint half bad either at it.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:07 am

I hope everyone has had a real good christmas. For those who managed to get in the water, you lucky lucky bastards. By the way, i found a six four Byrning Spear hand shaped by AB up here in a second hand shop. It has full Astro Deck on her and AB's initials on it. It looks to be a eighties shape. Will have her fixed water tight, and then will hang her up war wounds and all. I hope one day to surf her again if I ever get in the water.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:48 am

Thanks for the update Digger. I know it must be hard for you to do this, but it sure puts things in perspective for me personally. My perceived world-ending problems suddenly become insignificant. And rightly so.

I sincerely hope it all works out. Broken Hill sounds like it might be the right fit for you. All the best.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:14 am

Red Dust Surfboards has a nice ring to it.

Keep on truckin' Digger

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:09 am

BA wrote:Thanks for the update Digger. I know it must be hard for you to do this, but it sure puts things in perspective for me personally. My perceived world-ending problems suddenly become insignificant. And rightly so.

I sincerely hope it all works out. Broken Hill sounds like it might be the right fit for you. All the best.
Ditto - am sitting here annoyed that my 2 weeks of surfing became one week after my back decided to spasm on the last wave of the day (guess what isn't open over Christmas- physios!). And taking sips of happiness from the fact that the second week saw nothing over chest high 6 second waves...then digger comes along and puts it into perspective

Have a friend who grew up in Broken Hill - it sounds like an amazing place, with Menindee Lakes and all the rest

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:12 pm

My wife's long time boss when we were in Sydney started his career as a geologist in Broken Hill. A long time ago. He was good friends with a guy back then who gave him three paintings which he still has hanging in his house in the Shire.
The signatures say "Pro Hart"

All the best Digger.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:28 pm

Used to get sent to Broken Hill from Adelaide for work. It's got character I'll give it that.
You can look at it the way a friend of mine landlocked in Alice did..."It's the closest place to every surf spot in Oz.
Hope it brings you some stability Digger
Last edited by marauding mullet on Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:36 pm

Yeah, sounds like a solid place to live......SA isn't that far away. Hope it works out, Digger.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:31 pm

G'day Digger. Sad to hear you're still having serious health related issues. All the best. Pity W'bool isn't as cheap as Broken Hill. Always wanted to check the place out and when I do, I'll look you up

Also, given you're off the meds, seriously consider meditation. I now my situation does not compare, but I haven't taken a painkiller or NSAID for well over a month, perhaps even more than two. Two years ago, the surgeon said I'd be back due to pain by Feb this year. Six months ago I thought I wouldn't last that long, but now I feel I will probably go way beyond then
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:59 pm

Swivic, meditation really does sound the go mate. Pain was so outstanding today I had to take my meds agian. I will be in contact concerning meditation once on the recovery road.

Red Dust surfboards. Love the name. I think it will stick

I'm super keen on building a good half pipe for my boy. That and the shaping bay will be my first projects. Has anyone built a half pipe????

I'm trying to talk up broken hill. Though I have now decided to rent six months there before we possibly buy.

This dream of buying may fall in a hole and if so Victoria here we come.

One conclusion I have reached though is I'm tired of running. So I'm sorta just as excited to stop. You should see all the photos we have and the videos. We sit around the computer watching our movies and laughing. So much better than the idiot box