Papua New Guinea trip

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

bindy123

Papua New Guinea trip

Post by bindy123 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:30 pm

Just looking seriously into a surf trip to Papua New Guinea and wondering if anyone has been there and can give me some feedback, advice...any info at all would be much appreciated

An area called Vanimo looks appealing
Last edited by bindy123 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bindy123

Re: Papua New Guinea trip

Post by bindy123 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:24 pm

fongss wrote:Everyone i know who been scored great waves...they have a surfer cap im told so no crowds 8)
Thanks for the feedback mate...yes they cap the number of tourists to 20 at a time, that is the thing that makes it so appealing, and it is government legislation so not ever likely to change...hopefully!

Biggun
regular

Post by Biggun » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:59 pm

yes Bindy, its unlikely to ever change...cause thats the principal purpose of govts, NOT changing laws

bindy123

Post by bindy123 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:26 pm

Biggun wrote:yes Bindy, its unlikely to ever change...cause thats the principal purpose of govts, NOT changing laws
wow thanks so much for your valuable contribution...and for pointing out in such a subtle how how stupid and idiotic my last comment was...right on the ball there arent you...cant wait to read your follow up in response to this one...

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:32 pm

I have heard good things about that area. I went almost 2 years ago. No big swell for a week but where I was pulsey with the tides.nothing above head high , it's not Indo style but fun and an experience. Numbers are capped ATM but I have heard that there have been attempts to circumvent that by Australian operators. As far as I am aware they haven't succeeded.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:57 pm

make sure you let us know about the trip, always wanted to go there
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Biggun
regular

Post by Biggun » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:30 pm

So Saltman, you're saying the current arrangement is based on a convenient agreement between mutual friends...meaning its susceptible to anyone with the motivation and a more influential mutual friend.

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:22 pm

I think January/February is the time of year this place starts working too. A mate has organised it for a couple of seasons now and always in the new year as I recall. From what I've heard you need some local accompaniment to get through Port Moresby alive! Those wascally wascals are still a pwoblem. Remember canabalism was only wiped out a generation ago, now they just won't eat you! :twisted: :twisted:

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:36 pm

Don't even bother going into Port Moresby without a guide. Heavy place. There is a hotel near the airport, they will get you and you can eat a great breakfast or lunch whilst waiting for flights. Think it's called the Gateway.

bindy123

Post by bindy123 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:14 am

Booked in for late February and deposit paid...ten days...cant wait!

Going to Vanimo and the trip arranged through World Surfaris.

Thanks for the feedback, really helpful and interesting...think I will resist any urge to explore Port Moresby where I have to spend one night. From what I have read the locals in the area we stay are super friendly

Have also heard Malaria is a big problem?

Anyone know much about culture...things to NOT do or avoid...and vice versa

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:53 am

bindy123 wrote:Booked in for late February and deposit paid...ten days...cant wait!

Going to Vanimo and the trip arranged through World Surfaris.
Will be super interested to hear ya feedback upon return as I've always been interested in this part of PNG. Late Feb is getting towards the end of the season, but hey, if El Nino finally arrives early next year, you might just score some reliable swell??

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:49 pm

Love to hear about it when you get back. Hope you score. Locals were fine where I was. It's the Rascal gangs that are the problem and the locals will be just as wary of them. It's a really poor place. They love rugby league. Take some things over, clothes, textas for kids, smile and be polite. I found it be a religious place so if you're a non believer respect their right to believe.

bustard

Post by bustard » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:56 pm

Hey mate
Been there a few times. Like anywhere can be hit and miss but you should get ok waves most days. Dont expect world class but should still be better than sydney.
Locals are very friendly, malaria is a problem so take doxy or something, weather can be super hot so surfing morning and arvo is nicer. Late feb is good, i had waves in late march a few years ago and seen it flat in jan so just depends on luck.

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:09 am

bindy123 wrote:...
Anyone know much about culture...things to NOT do or avoid...and vice versa
There is a nasty side of their tribal culture called "payback". If you have an accident and injure a local even if it was their fault, their tribal members are obligated to help extract payback...not sure if it applies everywhere but the only option is to get out of town. I hear it is common practice for companies to put expat employees on the next flight out if they have a car accident with a local. The most recent one I heard of was an engineer came home to his house and it was being robbed and he was shot at so he called the police and a shootout ensued and 3 of the thieves were killed. This, in the murky logic of payback, would have been his fault...luckily in this case the thieves were from another province so they didn't have to worry about payback. Still, the police advised him to get out of town until they could ascertain who these guys were. I believe out on the islands it is a different story, much friendlier, still some caution to avoid accidents will benefit everyone anyway.

bindy123

Post by bindy123 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:31 pm

Returned from PNG earlier this week, after spending ten days in the very north-west of the island, Vanimo.

Technology let me down badly...my phone was shattered on the train trip to the airport, so I have no photos to post...you will have to take my word for it I guess...and just to warn you, on this site I have been called stupid, a liar...a troll several times...so make of it what you will

Accommodation was pretty good. Set in the village directly in front of the main right hander. 4 bed bungalows...the resort is new so bedding is excellent, and showers, toilets etc are pretty good. The surf guide and manager was a young American guy...and despite this, he was awesome. An excellent knowledge of the waves as well as the local community. It caters for 16, and there is basically no-where else to stay in the region

The food was excellent. Basic as you would expect, but plenty of fresh fish, noodles and rice. Massive servings...never felt hungry

The locals were the best part of the trip for me...the cost of living up there is really high, so I have no idea how they get by...but they generally dont have electricity, vehicles...but they are incredibly friendly, happy and welcoming. am now arranging to collect as many boards from mates as I can and will send them up there...cant wait to go back.

The waves were very good. Surfed five different breaks that are within about 15km of the resort. If you go expecting Indo perfection you will likely be disappointed...but I had every day between 3-6 feet...and the wind always blew either east or west, which meant it was always offshore and clean somewhere. The right hander in front of the resort was my favourite wave, and I got it excellent at times, but there are also two really good quality left handers to the west.

Crowds are minimal as you would expect. A few locals surf...but its not hard at all to surf with just a guy or two in the water. The resort was only ever half full while I was there.

If you want to go...make sure you give that beetul nut a go! Tastes fcuking disgusting...but it really does give you a bit of a buzz

bindy123

Post by bindy123 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:24 pm

reginald wrote:Pictures or it didn't happen.

Troll
Yeah if only I could!

I did somehow fail to mention one small detail in my report...one that would actually confirm beyond any doubt at all that your previous allegation of me being amongst the worlds most stupid people...was actually incredibly accurate. As I am amongst friends I feel comfortable and safe enough to disclose;

I also took my new waterproof camera with me...went and purchased a memory card...wrapped it all in bubble wrap...packed safe and secure...but neglected to take the battery charger!!!

Stupid troll perhaps more apt?