Magnesium ... good for ya health?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Re: Magnesium ... good for ya health?

Post by swvic » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:13 am

The ear infections are bacterial, dw. That's why they work on the kids. Kids are a bit different to adults. They can crash very quickly in comparison, but the good thing is that they generally recover more quickly. Hope your ailment fcuks right off soon
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:23 am

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/ ... 618608.htm

Anyone see 4 Corners last night? Rise of the Superbugs. Like I said last week, there's serious shit to deal with and it's happening now

No mag reports for awhile. How's it going?
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:10 pm

Interesting reading Wingy, have debilitating back problems when surfing and never been a real yoga type person, have tried and failed I guess. Still try to stretch a bit but nothing seems to give me a result.

Have a tub of magnesium powder, good quality I believe, will give it another go or try your Mag BioComplex.

One side effect I have noted from the powder, will go through you like a dose of salts.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:21 pm

ric_vidal wrote:Interesting reading Wingy, have debilitating back problems when surfing and never been a real yoga type person, have tried and failed I guess. Still try to stretch a bit but nothing seems to give me a result.

Have a tub of magnesium powder, good quality I believe, will give it another go or try your Mag BioComplex.

One side effect I have noted from the powder, will go through you like a dose of salts.
Rick, two things I've found that have worked with back issues for me are stretching hamstrings & strengthening my core muscles. Both are fairly easy to do. With my hammies, I'd use the kitchen bench (leg up on it at approx 90˙ to the floor, grab my foot & lean into the knee) & I found my back was feeling a hell of a lot better once I was able to comfortably touch my toes, which incidentally didn't take too long at all. As far as the core goes, no need for sit-ups if you don't like doing them, just do plank to the point where you can hold it for a minute & try working your way up to two minutes.

Visits to the chiropractor have decreased significantly since adopting this regime.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:36 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: "Oh shit I had better get on that Chondroitin stuff" they think ...When in fact it cleared up on its own, as those injuries tend to do over several weeks, and the Chondroitin ended up in their poo.
I think and have been told, that a lot of the effects of say fish oil, condrointIn, et al, is more subtle.

For some unknown reason I stopped taking my small doses of the above after a surf trip, within a week I was feeling pretty ordinary in the joints, went back on them and it dissipated.

Body healing itself with time? Yes, sure to a degree but I doubt it is fully attributable, as I would have been struggling during the event and the pain starting increasing well after the trip.

Maybe I have missed something.

Placebo? Who knows/cares even if it is, seems to make a difference.

On another note, injured my foot during an awkward landing while away recently, across the top not a rolled ankle, and it was one I knew at the time was going to get worse. Hobbled out of the surf a bit and did a small amount of RI(C)E, no compression. Went out on the squirt again than night, as you do, and could hardly put any weight on it by the end of the night.

Bit more ice before sleep then attached a TENS during the night, didn't really sleep much. Hobbled around the next day and thought this trip is over… decided to have a massage the day after and she just ripped into it, kind of pressure point pain, hit the roof.

Net result, back in the water after a day out. Could and still can feel a level of discomfort but was more than manageable and happy to be back in the water.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:45 pm

Karlos wrote: Rick, two things I've found that have worked with back issues for me are stretching hamstrings & strengthening my core muscles. Both are fairly easy to do. With my hammies, I'd use the kitchen bench (leg up on it at approx 90˙ to the floor, grab my foot & lean into the knee) & I found my back was feeling a hell of a lot better once I was able to comfortably touch my toes, which incidentally didn't take too long at all. As far as the core goes, no need for sit-ups if you don't like doing them, just do plank to the point where you can hold it for a minute & try working your way up to two minutes.

Visits to the chiropractor have decreased significantly since adopting this regime.
Yes, Karlos, I do try and stretch them in the same way and even if I do I still seem to end up very tight in that region very quickly.

My chiropractor/osteopath, who is good friend, has given up on the Vidal backs. I go for the odd tune up but it hasn't helped anymore than what I do or don't do myself – think in terms of Nick's posts.

I'm trying a bit of Sarah Key back block stuff and she has an interesting method for core strength development and is focussed in a more specific area. As in not a full ab type workout.

Mate of mine who also has significant back problems is dedicated to Pilates, and does it religiously and has done for some years, still has a question mark over his surfing every time he enters the water.

There is more to back problems than meets the eyes, of this much I am sure.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:51 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
Karlos wrote: Rick, two things I've found that have worked with back issues for me are stretching hamstrings & strengthening my core muscles. Both are fairly easy to do. With my hammies, I'd use the kitchen bench (leg up on it at approx 90˙ to the floor, grab my foot & lean into the knee) & I found my back was feeling a hell of a lot better once I was able to comfortably touch my toes, which incidentally didn't take too long at all. As far as the core goes, no need for sit-ups if you don't like doing them, just do plank to the point where you can hold it for a minute & try working your way up to two minutes.

Yes, Karlos, I do try and stretch them in the same way and even if I do I still seem to end up very tight in that region very quickly.

My chiropractor/osteopath, who is good friend, has given up on the Vidal backs. I go for the odd tune up but it hasn't helped anymore than what I do or don't do myself – think in terms of Nick's posts.

I'm trying a bit of Sarah Key back block stuff and she has an interesting method for core strength development and is focussed in a more specific area. As in not a full ab type workout.

Mate of mine who also has significant back problems is dedicated to Pilates, and does it religiously and has done for some years, still has a question mark over his surfing every time he enters the water.

There is more to back problems than meets the eyes, of this much I am sure.

i wa talking to my mum yesterday, she has a real bad lower back/hip pain with sciatic pain down the leg.
she has been to chiros etc, with little relief. she recently went to a naturapth and was given a super large dose of mag to take, as well as a few other things for various deficiencies she has. she reckons she is pain free and muscles feel more relaxed. apparently the dose is 5x that of the swisse mag tabs she was takin

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:43 pm

Ric, Karlos, how are your feet?
If they roll, your legs stay tight and your back tweaks easily.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:51 pm

still not taking magnesium.

surfed for about five and a half hours today, no ill effects.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:54 pm

Probly courting Fate here hey.

yeah ric maybe you're right, but no such effects have been demonstrated in numerous trials etc, I go the fish oil on and off and cannot tell any difference between when I am on it and when not. Nurture this pathetic hope that it will behave like HGH or something and actually reverse the aging process and its naturally slower healing process. But it doesn't.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:33 am

Nick Carroll wrote:surfed for about five and a half hours today, no ill effects.
Feck I'd kill for a surf like this at the moment. Can't remember the last session like this I had!!!!

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:14 am

alakaboo wrote:Ric, Karlos, how are your feet?
My feet are fine, or at least I think they are. My back probs go back to an old footie injury done in my teen years that was never really taken care of. An x-ray a few years back showed a fairly degenerated disc in the lower back. These days it's travelling pretty good. Semi-regular chiro visits tend to keep it functioning pretty well, along with a fairly decent training/activity regime.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:16 am

Oh yeah, while I'm at it I may as well report on the magnesium. Taking two 400mg capsules (as opposed to tablets, so maybe the absorption is better?) & I reckon the energy levels are up. Haven't had a solid shit for about a week & a half though.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:48 am

Karlos wrote:Oh yeah, while I'm at it I may as well report on the magnesium. Taking two 400mg capsules (as opposed to tablets, so maybe the absorption is better?) & I reckon the energy levels are up. Haven't had a solid shit for about a week & a half though.
At a total of 800mg of magnesium a day, I can see why you're sh1ts are running for the hills!!!! Recommended daily dose is around 400mg.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:12 am

Nick Carroll wrote:Probly courting Fate here hey.

yeah ric maybe you're right, but no such effects have been demonstrated in numerous trials etc, I go the fish oil on and off and cannot tell any difference between when I am on it and when not. Nurture this pathetic hope that it will behave like HGH or something and actually reverse the aging process and its naturally slower healing process. But it doesn't.
Yes, Nick, I'm a trial of 1, seems to make a difference.

Also a person that basically hates fish so chances of getting some decent oil in my system is pretty remote.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:15 am

How do you mean, alakaboo?

Pretty sh-thouse flexibility fullstop. Always has been.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:17 am

Recommendation for me a couple of days ago was 3 doses of magnesium per week, so that's what it is going to be.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:16 am

ric_vidal wrote:
How do you mean, alakaboo?
Pretty sh-thouse flexibility fullstop. Always has been.
If your feet roll excessively, normally inwards but in my case outwards, your feet, ankles, knees and hips are all thrown out of whack. You end up with very tight Achilles, knees that click, hip flexor problems, tight hammies etc.

Your lower back then has to work extremely hard to maintain good posture. If you fix the problem at the bottom, everything else aligns better. Look at the wear on the bottom of your shoes and you'll see if you have uneven wear.

There are a few things that help me, squats is one of them, wearing proper shoes is another. Recently ditched the thongs and got Birkenstocks. Yes I look like a lawyer trying to pretend they had fun in the 70s, but I am also much more comfortable and flexible, so I don't really give a toss.
I also have orthotics (proper fibreglass ones from the podiatrist, not the foam crap from the chemist), though I don't wear them anymore as they give me heel spurs. I've also broken bones since I got them done, and haven't bothered to get new ones that adjust for my new foot structure.
Karlos wrote: My back probs go back to an old footie injury done in my teen years that was never really taken care of. An x-ray a few years back showed a fairly degenerated disc in the lower back. These days it's travelling pretty good. Semi-regular chiro visits tend to keep it functioning pretty well, along with a fairly decent training/activity regime.
I've also fractured my lower back and neck, pilates-style stretches from the physio and kayaking help keep things in check.