Magnesium ... good for ya health?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: Magnesium ... good for ya health?

Post by Donweather » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:58 pm

wingnut2443 wrote:How'd the 'hangover' impact go Don? ... When I was drinking, and had heavy session, I found a couple as I went to sleep with a large glass of water was really good ... woke up feeling much better than when I would just have the glass(es) of water.
Working a fecking treat mate!!! Best ever hangover cure I've found.

I'm taking one at breakfast and one with dinner daily. Love em.....and will easily fork out the $40 per 2-3mths for them.

gabsouy
regular

Post by gabsouy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:19 pm

how often do you blokes have hangovers ?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:42 pm

I had one last September.
End of the keg of Coopers always gets me, even if I only have 1.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:00 pm

gabsouy wrote:how often do you blokes have hangovers ?
Now, hardly ever. Pre-magnesium......every time I had a big night. These days, can have 3 day benders and feel pretty damn good at the end of it....just tired after the 3rd day!!!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:26 pm

Miraculously I find it is better not to drink alcohol to excess.

Continuing to not take magnesium beyond what is absorbed naturally through diet. Developing some muscle soreness after long periods of heavy exercise. Experiencing no cramping of any kind even under heavy training load. Sleeping deeply.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:03 pm

I've been eating a bit of kale lately and apparently its super high in magnesium and its natural.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

bindy123

Post by bindy123 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:17 pm

I have had chronic back problems for a long time, which has led to a few major surgeries. Recently a bad neck has got me to go see a naturopath. At her suggestion I am on Magnesium (powder) and fish oil(tablets), both a brand called BIOCEUTICALS.

It is supposedly top shelf, will just have to take her word for it, but it is definitely expensive.

Will wait and see how it goes

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:54 am

bindy123 wrote:I have had chronic back problems for a long time, which has led to a few major surgeries. Recently a bad neck has got me to go see a naturopath. At her suggestion I am on Magnesium (powder) and fish oil(tablets), both a brand called BIOCEUTICALS.

It is supposedly top shelf, will just have to take her word for it, but it is definitely expensive.

Will wait and see how it goes
It appears to have the Ultramag in it, which is the good stuff in my opinion, but this powder form (Bioceuticals) is very expensive per dose, compared with the Nutrimedics I use. Although the Bioceuticals does have more other elements in it, but still it's close to 1.5-1.8 times the cost per dosage.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:48 pm

Had a return of the calf cramps in the surf over the weekend so dove back into the magnesium tablets. Only problem is I now feel like I've been rabbit punched in the kidneys by Muhammed Ali. Turns out kidney damage can be a side effect. Ouch.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:50 am

let me guess karlos, you cramped up on Sunday.

dehydration mate.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:24 pm

Karlos wrote:Had a return of the calf cramps in the surf over the weekend so dove back into the magnesium tablets. Only problem is I now feel like I've been rabbit punched in the kidneys by Muhammed Ali. Turns out kidney damage can be a side effect. Ouch.
Interesting reading here Karlos.

http://www.naturalnews.com/038713_kidne ... ition.html

If your kidney's are killing you when on magnesium, suggest you get them (kidneys) checked out and/or look at an alternative magnesium supplement.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:38 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:let me guess karlos, you cramped up on Sunday.

dehydration mate.
Nope, Saturday. Again on Sunday but the damage was done on the previous day. Mind you I did train on the Saturday morning so dehydration could be the trigger, but in saying that calf cramps (& to a lesser extent the instep of my feet) have been a problem for years.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:49 pm

Donweather wrote:
Karlos wrote:Had a return of the calf cramps in the surf over the weekend so dove back into the magnesium tablets. Only problem is I now feel like I've been rabbit punched in the kidneys by Muhammed Ali. Turns out kidney damage can be a side effect. Ouch.
Interesting reading here Karlos.

http://www.naturalnews.com/038713_kidne ... ition.html

If your kidney's are killing you when on magnesium, suggest you get them (kidneys) checked out and/or look at an alternative magnesium supplement.
I've got those high potency ones Don (400mg per cap, one a day) & hadn't had any issue with them previously. But yesterday it felt like I'd been smashed in each kidney. They really fcuking hurt, especially when getting up from a seated position, like when I got out of the car. Didn't take another mag cap & today their OK again. I'm due a check-up so I might go see the GP & see what he reckons.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:48 pm

you're definitely low on fluids there mate.

piss off any alcohol for a couple of days and drink one part electrolyte drink to two parts water, to two litres a day for two days.

and yeah, don't go the magnesium again for a while.

Your instep and calf cramps are very likely stress related, they may also arise from a sedentary work posture being translated to intense activity without a sufficient period of change in between. Quite common among men over 40. magnesium ain't gonna help that. Habit change will. Stretch, move, do (oh god) yoga.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:09 pm

Thanks NC. The low on fluids thing I agree with, but not so sure about the stress thing or even the sedentary work posture. I move around a lot & my stress levels are always low. Drink very little alcohol & do a bit of stretching, but should stretch the feet & calves more. I've copped the calf cramps ever since I was a grom so I'm thinking that... Actually I have no idea what that's about. Maybe I've just got shit circulation?

After the way my kidneys felt the other day, I ain't going anywhere near magnesium for a while. I'll start with more stretching & fluids to start I think.

packa
regular

Post by packa » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:16 pm

G'day, I have been reading a lot of the health stuff on this site for a while now. This magnesium topic is quite interesting. I have 'turned over a new leaf' so to speak. Few health issues have me now really looking after my body, watching what I eat and drink. I am generally trying to give it as much help as possible.

All you guys using the magnesium supplements, if you don't mind answering, have you also avoided aluminum?

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:39 pm

Not me packa. In fact I haven't used the magnesium since my post above yours. So what's the deal with aluminium anyway?

packa
regular

Post by packa » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:07 am

Thanks for the welcome wingnut.

If any of you are interested:
Literature regarding the biochemistry of aluminum and eight similar ions is reviewed ... Main characteristics are low intestinal absorption, rapid urinary excretion, and slow tissue uptake, mostly in skeleton and reticuloendothelial cells.
Taken from here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1474689/

Also:
Aluminium inhibits the uptake of B-vitamins. It may also influence liver function in high concentrations.
Plenty of sources around.