Magnesium ... good for ya health?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: Magnesium ... good for ya health?

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:16 pm

alakaboo wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:
alakaboo wrote:Ric, Karlos, how are your feet?
If they roll, your legs stay tight and your back tweaks easily.
How do you mean, alakaboo?
Pretty sh-thouse flexibility fullstop. Always has been.
If your feet roll excessively, normally inwards but in my case outwards, your feet, ankles, knees and hips are all thrown out of whack. You end up with very tight Achilles, knees that click, hip flexor problems, tight hammies etc.
Alakaboo, foot wear pattern appears pretty normal, at least nothing pronounced. Rolled an ankle quite some time ago and it never recovered fully (less mobility). Achilles et al I reckon are tight, naturopath suggested tight gluteus muscles too. Think tin man. :D

Heard the foot gate thing on a recent holiday too… but never took it up with the person personally.

Wore a heel lift for a while put in by chiropractor but found it absolutely screwed with my knees.

Yes, probably some old football stuff, some hereditary, and more recent surf injury to middle back, but I don't attribute the latter to the lower back problem.

This problem goes back over 30 years.

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:49 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Probly courting Fate here hey.

yeah ric maybe you're right, but no such effects have been demonstrated in numerous trials etc, I go the fish oil on and off and cannot tell any difference between when I am on it and when not. Nurture this pathetic hope that it will behave like HGH or something and actually reverse the aging process and its naturally slower healing process. But it doesn't.
Well you better become a fisho Nick, or spend a crapload buying real fish _ big, long term study out yesterday found fish oil tablets do absolutely nothing to prevent strokes. But eating oily fish, real fish, does indeed reduce chances of a stroke.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:16 pm

True Ric, back problems can be from a thousand different sources.

But for the average joe, tightness in hammies and moreso the glutes can lead to lower back pain and there are some very basic stretches I do to ward this off.

I've got congenitally tight hammies, so they don't respond much to stretching but it does ease the pressure, but the glutes are a prime cause and I'm only aware of one type of stretch that works on them. As things deteriorate I bust out a few.

Would love to get seriously into yoga but just find the motivation or the time.

Maybe one day. Hopefully when I retire I'll take it up seriously as those last years/decades of your life are either going to be hell on earth or a farking wonderful way to end your days if you look after your body.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:18 pm

Been taking the occasional magnesium supplement but not in the doses you guys are. Can't see how your body could take up that much in a short space of time, and like most vitamins a lot must end up being pissed out.

Or perhaps crapped out. Had a dose of the runs last night and this might explain it.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:48 am

oldman wrote:Been taking the occasional magnesium supplement but not in the doses you guys are. Can't see how your body could take up that much in a short space of time, and like most vitamins a lot must end up being pissed out.

Or perhaps crapped out. Had a dose of the runs last night and this might explain it.
That'd be it Olds, too much. Find a kinesiologist to determine how much you need it is definitely less than you are taking, also, take it at night.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:09 pm

Not sure how all of you are travelling but havig a bit of a look back over the last week and I have been feeling a bit chipper. Exercise appears easier and there seems to be a bit of spring in my step.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:42 pm

I'm sleeping WAY better (very deep sleep) but other than that, I'm not noticing any real effects. Dropped dosage down to 2 tabs a day, rather than the recommended 3.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:33 pm

Super skeptic me will be on this shit soon. I keep waking up about an hour before I want/need to. Mrs recently read some mumbo jumbo about what ails you is related to time of not sleeping. Tried to tell me I drank too much alcohol. WRONG - that would have me awake at about 1 am apparently. Loving the mumbo jumbo right now as I'm about to have a beer
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:47 am

How are you manganese magnets going?
Haven't heard too many miraculous reports lately.
Anyone sprouted wings, horns or tails yet?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:56 pm

wingnut2443 wrote:
oldman wrote:Been taking the occasional magnesium supplement but not in the doses you guys are. Can't see how your body could take up that much in a short space of time, and like most vitamins a lot must end up being pissed out.

Was explained to me that the "loose" poo, is a symptom of the body removing toxins, which the magnesium does ...so the more toxins the more "loose" and frequent the motion ...
It's amazing the gullibility of so many people. Don't trust everything you hear of read - especially over the internet :(

Not to mention magnesium is rarely going to benefit you - unless you're truly deficient - the looseness has nothing to do with toxins and is simply a side effect of the compound. Similar to calcium, which can also cause looseness or on the other hand, constipation. This is why people with gastric problems who take magnesium or calcium salts often have gastro symptoms.

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:41 pm

Sounds like she was enthusiastic, sorry to hear here passing.

Again, just because she's a GP doesn't mean she's right either :wink: the majority wouldn't want to line up with aima unless there's some sort of gain from it.

I thought this extract was kind of funny, because as soon as any medicine or such has evidence of its effectiveness, by definition it is no longer alternative and is part of the evidenced based medicine... : "The Australasian Integrative Medicine Association (AIMA) is an independent not for profit organization of individual medical practitioners seeking to provide whole person medical care by integrating evidence-based complementary medicine into mainstream practice"

Can we ask how she saved your life??

And medical education :-)

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:26 pm

Ok for what it is worth I asked two different GPs I know over the weekend re magnesium and got two different answers as to how effective magnesium supplimentation is. I have never had great faith in GPs anyway. One GP was slightly in favour of taking it, saying at the end of the day you have nothing to lose. The other GP thinks its a waste of money unless you are deficiant. He also said to be wary of so called 'reserach' as some of this 'reasearch' is funded by the suppliment companies themesleves.

Both however agreed that if you are deficiant in magnesium then it is certainly worth taking a supplement.

I myself am in favour of a good balanced diet. I would rather spend money on good whole foods than pay that money to a supplement company. Unless of course I was diagnosed as deficiant. That is me. Beleive whatever you will.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:03 pm

reginald wrote: As an all round cure all for getting old and feeling like shit? probably not.
Damn. That's me out then. <: :(
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:13 pm

Good to see at least someone has some common sense, Natho ;)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:07 am

The most recent research I have read on magnesium suggests it can help some people with cramps and muscle stiffness, and not others.

In the end of the day, whats is magnesium in the scheme of 100's to 1000's of other food nutrients/chemicals that your body needs? Nutrients which often only accur in wholefoods (i.e. natural foods)?

One day we may learn that magnesium on its own without a synergy of several phyto-nutrients in nuts and grains is useless to our body, etc.

I personally did get benefit from taking a rehydration supplement to prevent cramping. This included several electrolytes plus magnesium. Who knows which helped the most, but its a good bet to try a complete package plus a good diet with lots of wholefoods/natural foods.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:12 pm

Natho wrote: Beleive whatever you will.
I before E except after C.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:18 pm

Welcome back Yanks.
Dr._Riviera.png
Dr._Riviera.png (74.51 KiB) Viewed 5185 times

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:08 pm

I just did a quick search on magnesium supplements. I narrowed it down to peer reviewed journal articles and I only read the abstracts of a few that indicated relevance to physical activity. It is very limited

Seems the jury is out, but there's a long way to go. Mostly, the authors were looking at different aspects of supplementation which makes it difficult to come to an evidence based conclusion. That would require some semi-serious research effort and I'm not doing it

Here's a couple of last sentences from two of the Abstracts:

* These results suggest that magnesium supplementation positively influences the performance of training athletes by increasing erythrocyte and hemoglobin levels.

* Athletes should be counseled to consume foods with high nutrient density rather than to rely on mineral supplements. General use of mineral supplements can alter physiological function and impair health.

Most human research is to do with determining a benefit to people with illnesses and conditions such as burns, nocturnal cramping, cancer and others
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?