Resting heart rate

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Resting heart rate

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:06 am

Shit Reggie. Are you sure you're alive?
I'm no expert but that seems very low. I'd have expected around 60.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:18 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:41 am

I read somewhere over the weekend that Neil Armstrong's was 84 at all times. Point being that he was fairly relaxed no matter the circumstances.

You guys might want to get yourselves to the local emergency ward.

Just checked mine. 56. Time to self-diagnose on google.

<edit> according to this site, I'm an 'athlete':
http://www.topendsports.com/testing/hea ... -chart.htm

Cancel the ambulance boys, you're both fine.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:50 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:59 am

Honestly fellas, the most likely answer to this is that you didn't count it correctly.

Resting heart rate in the 40's is considered super athlete, olympic style marathon runner in the peak of his/her fitness.

Do you have body/fat ratios in the 4-5% mark, (i.e. absolutely no visible fat anywhere on your body, pinch your skin right down to the muscle and you only get skin)

Resting heart rate in the high 30's = unlikely.

Sure you're not missing a beat, in the counting that is.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:08 pm

I do the same,Legion, but for low blood pressure. Cardiologist thinks I'm part turtle

My HR also doesn't increase much under exercise, actually drops under light aerobic exercise, but the volume pumped increases dramatically. Resting rate is high 60s, 80 after a double espresso, 40 when really fit.

A guy I used to play waterpolo with had a resting HR of 26, confirmed by AIS etc.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:10 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Just calculated it as 66

Not bad considering age and general state of health
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:05 pm

a low heart rate isn't of itself proof of some kind of mega aerobic fitness.

the measure of fitness relates to how quickly and efficiently the heart rate adjusts to layers of exercise.

if you can push out comfortably during intensive exercise to around 85/90% of your max heart rate, then return it quickly to normal after stopping the exercise, that's more of a gauge of a high fitness level.

If getting to 85/90% is a gut busting strain, and your heart rate only gets back to resting after 20mins or so, then you're pretty normal.

If you can't get to 85/90% at all without feeling close to Death, then you're kinda unfit but by no means extraordinary.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:57 pm

Yeh Nick is pretty much on the money. I had a full in depth fitness test and medical not long ago. What they were looking at was how quickly the rate recovered back to a normal resting rate after hitting around 90% max, not so much what the actual rate was.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:42 pm

Can someone explain the "90% max "
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:53 pm

It is possible to work out your max HR physiologically, though a lot of people just use the approximation of 220 bpm - your age.
Could be 20 beats either side of that.

I've exceeded my theoretical max HR, it wasn't fun.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:02 pm

Trev, good question. Max heart rate really needs to be measured under a professional stress test by someone who knows what they are doing. Normaly measure by some sort of extended exercise test say on a treadmill for 20 minutes or so. Data is then collected and some formulas used to work out your max heart rate (you would think it would be simpler than that, but its not). Im no expert so can't explain in depth. 90% would then be 90% of that rate which in general would mean exercising for a period a bit below going flat out, depending on the person and their fitness.

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:17 pm

Mine was the same as yours Dino when I was riding bikes most days, with a standard 100km ride on the weekends, and the odd 150-200km ride thrown in monthly or so. Got the resting HR to 44/45 at the peak of it. So I reckon the treadly is helping you there.

Scared to know what the HR is is now, I've been largely inactive for months. The blood pressure has always been on the low side; I've had a couple of downs when giving blood/plasma - twice in the last 4 or 5 visits. Haven't been back since the last one.
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:02 pm

Yeah, I don't give plasma anymore. (edit: platelets)
Last time I went they had the anticoagulant machine calibrated incorrectly, guy across from me went into some sort of arrest, he was one of the state's most frequent donors so it wasn't his first time. I almost blacked out, the whole row next to me blacked out.
Last edited by alakaboo on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:41 pm

Miguel Indurain had a resting heart rate of 28bpm, which is one of the lowest ever recorded apparently. (He also had an 8 litre lung capacity, no wonder he was so frigging good)
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:16 am

I've spent quite a bit of time hooked up to heart monitors, my resting heart rate is 48-50. Being in hospital for over a week and not allowed to do a thing, out of boredom I tried to see how slow I could get my heart beat, got it down to 36.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:09 am

Whaddya reckon it gets up to when caught inside by a 6-8ft set?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes