Mentawai Charter - Recommendations?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

pirate_agenda
regular

Mentawai Charter - Recommendations?

Post by pirate_agenda » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:23 pm

Planning a boat trip next june or july, anyone in these parts have any recommendations for good boats to consider?

probably looking at the more low to mid range pricing, not super luxury, but something we won't be bailing water on and can get around at a reasonable rate

closeout

Re: Mentawai Charter - Recommendations?

Post by closeout » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:49 am

Avoid Arimbi....the tub is a heap of Cr*p. We lost power from Day 1 and were stranded in playgrounds region for 4 days. Whilst there could be worst places to float around in the ocean the dinghy wasnt able to get us across to the surf breaks so spent the day in the little harbour grovelling on 1-2ftsers.

Boat was taking water and couldnt power the bilge pumps to get rid of it. The engine room and motors were chest high in water. A few days down the track a small replacement generator arrived,so we could get moving but had to walk through a maze of power boards, double adaptors and cords for the rest of the trip, whilst waiting for a fire to start or get zapped. Not enough power for the fridge so dodgy food and warm beer were on the table after a surf session.

We asked Surf Travel Company to hand back some cash as we felt ripped off and cant say they are pushing our barrow. I would avoid STC just as much. Things dont always go to plan and Sh^T happens but this was on another level and boat owner/operator and STC havent responded well.

dowgy

Post by dowgy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:27 pm

We chartered the Naga Laut via Perfect Wave Travel Co this May. Great crew and surf guide Yanto seems to know his stuff. The majority of the days we had a spot to ourselves or shared with one other boat (Melaleuca).

Pretty good price (I think was $2200 for 11 days off the top of my head) and whist it's not the fastest boat, it's reasonably comfortable with air conditioned cabins. Fishing gear is pretty crappy and DVD player was sketchy but they're not too important in the scheme of things!

Elmako
Grommet

Post by Elmako » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:14 pm

Mate, I went on the Nusa Dewata and it was pretty good, captain Simon Dale and his crew were really good and very on the money with breaks and conditions. Not the most confortable boat I hear but with only 5 surfers on board and good food, thats all I needed.

I would imagine that at this time of the year you wont have much choices, check availabilities, most boats get booked months in advance.

An experience of a lifetime, go for it!!!

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:24 pm

thanks for the heads up guys.

Planning it for 2013, not this year, so hoping a lot might still be available!

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:29 pm

pirate_agenda wrote:probably looking at the more low to mid range pricing, not super luxury, but something we won't be bailing water on and can get around at a reasonable rate
then just commandeer something more suitable?

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:36 pm

tossing up at the moment between the bintang and nusa dewata, pending how many troops i can get together I guess.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:02 pm

DSC_0294.jpg
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:18 pm

Similar thing happened to someone I know with boat losing power for most of the trip. In this case STC did not want to know about it either so yeh I would probably avoid em like the plague.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:37 pm

Natho wrote:Similar thing happened to someone I know with boat losing power for most of the trip. In this case STC did not want to know about it either so yeh I would probably avoid em like the plague.
might explain why they gone pretty much broke several times....

Indo dreaming
regular

Post by Indo dreaming » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:53 am

There's heaps of good charters but I think the best option is book direct with the charter boat, surf travel agents take a commission of 10% to 20% so going direct gives you a chance to bargain, especially if not in peak season.

Also real important these days is asking if they go further south than thunders and if they do is there a fuel surcharge? Many boats don't go further south than thunders and with the crowd pressure in the north area of mentawais these days from all the camps this is where the uncrowded sessions are mostly had.

Also ask if they can go further north into the telo,s if crowds are bad in mentawais or conditions suit.

If the answer is yes to both questions then that will give you way more options and chances of scoring.

zingomar
regular

Post by zingomar » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:19 pm

If you want a picture of what charter is like check out:

A Mentawai Surfing Adventure on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Surfing-Adventure ... +adventure