Indo Straw Hat or something else?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Slowman
regular

Indo Straw Hat or something else?

Post by Slowman » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:23 am

Just wondering what folks preferred and why for sun protection in the tropics.

I don't really like wearing hats that much, they seem to make my head itch where the headband sits so I'm guessing the lighter they are the better, so it just kind of sits there. I'm guessing the straw is the lightest?

Here are the choices I'm contemplating:
ImageImage

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Re: Indo Straw Hat or something else?

Post by jimmy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:26 am

Straw hats are shit. They blow off in boats and you can't pack em. Get the other one. Don't buy a surf brand though. Get one from a good outdoor shop
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:42 am

If you are serious about sun protection in the tropics get one of those Buff headwear things ( or similar) like the fishoes wear in the tropics.You will look like you are about to rob a bank but heck they work well and are cool ( temp wise) . You can get good value versions from Anoconda and they take up bugger all room in ya bag.the downside is you will look like a frikn terrorist wearing one.They cover your head, neck and as much of your face as ya want.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:44 pm

You could do a DIY version of natho's idea ... take one truckers cap and a white pillow case ... using a pair of scissors cut strategically placed holes in the pillow case for the eyes and mouth ... hey presto ... less terrorist ... more hat wearing member of the triple K's.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:27 pm

maybe a swagman's hat

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:20 am

Slowman wrote:Just wondering what folks preferred and why for sun protection in the tropics.

I don't really like wearing hats that much, they seem to make my head itch where the headband sits so I'm guessing the lighter they are the better, so it just kind of sits there. I'm guessing the straw is the lightest?

Here are the choices I'm contemplating:
ImageImage
Well I bought that one on the right and I 'ken hate it, itchy sweaty piece of crap.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:59 am

Interesting.
I have to give a rap to the Ocean and Earth cap I took over to Bali. Only used it a few times but it worked great. Only a small brim in the surf so it doesn't come down and scrape the sunscreen off your nose. Really good.

I've also got an old Ripcurl surf bucket hat that I don't like using while surfing but is great in boats or walking around on reefs and stuff. Both work and look okay with the straps tucked up as regular hats.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:29 pm

Tried the straw hat for PNG, 'ken good in the rain. Like an umbrella. Didn't blow off in the speed boat trips to the breaks either. Bit of pain carrying it around though if you don't want to wear it. You need to tie it to your bag. Left it the surf camp.