Panaitan Island Tours

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Slowman
regular

Panaitan Island Tours

Post by Slowman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:33 am

I have a saffer mate that has presented me with an opportunity to spend 2 weeks surfing around Panaitan in May next year. It is with PANAITAN ISLAND ECOSURF tours. It looks like it is a locally run surf tour and we know some guys did the trip (and survived) the boat looks pretty basic. The other Tour operator is twice the price (Just Dreaming Surf Safaris) which looks a lot plusher but you get what you pay for I suppose.

Anyone had any experiences with either operator or anyone else for that matter?

old grom
Grommet

Re: Panaitan Island Tours

Post by old grom » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:28 pm

Just got back from here - the surf panaitan tour guys were great, fantastic people, great surf guide, very professional operation and great value.

No crowds , only one boat just dreaming, we ran into them a few times but no big deal.

Worst issue is the reefs , this place is as shallow and sharp as I have ever seen. We saw one palm at solid 6 foot , and no one was tempted. Napalms is also very heavy, had a nice surf at about 2-3 ft. Some great surfs at lesser known spots, perfect but not the classic long rides like one palm.

But this place is a paradise.

Would love to go back in the wet season and try the rights, they were blown out at all times when we went in Aug-Sept.

Cheers - old grom

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:40 pm

Old Grom,

you're not wrong about the sharpness and shallowness of the reefs. Iman won't even surf Napalms anymore after a pretty bad wipeout. I left skin on every reef...except One Palm and Apocalypse. Napalms is 2' deep and One Palms 1' Jesus! Perfect waves but heavy.

We were lucky in May we got Illusions and the Bombies for a few days. The Bombies have a very eery feeling late in the afternoon. Never so glad to get back in the boat after paddling across deep water while the water was churning with feeding fish. We also got Angels and Papas quite a few times.

Just so people know how shallow One Palm is:

Had a great time, food was great, crew and guides too. Saying of the trip "another f**kin' day in paradise!"

old grom
Grommet

Post by old grom » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:19 pm

Wow slowman
That is an insane photo. By the end of the week we were used to surfing in about two feet of water with the odd dry spot. Had a couple of greatsessions but as you say the highligh was the place and people. As you say paradise. Iman is a great guide and we loved the place.

We also spent a week in west Java mainly cimaja and a few other spots score a fewvery average days and two great days but trade wind is savage and onshore after 900 am until 400pm. But we had a great trip with no crowds anywhere we went and great expriances with the locals.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:03 pm

A mate of mine was over there around the same time Old Grom was there. Possibly on the same boat? He is a ripper and not scared of heavy waves but he said One Plam was crazy, even with a bit more water than that photo. A full wetty and helmet was needed.

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:45 pm

Yeah my first surf at Napalms I didn't bother with booties or any protection and ended up on the reef and paid the price. I also got dragged across the reef at Illusions and even cut my face - I bumped a coral head while star fishing over the reef after taking a mid sized wave and finding it followed by sets which successively just pushed me back over it when I was paddling back out.

One Palm and Apocalypse were too crazy for me. Apocalypse breaks in deeper water at the takeoff but you get so locked in the barrel you can't get out of it until you are on the reef and have to straighten out as the final section closes out right on it. So easy to get into these barrels but getting out is the trick.

blue7floyd

Post by blue7floyd » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:43 pm

I am thinking of taking up surfing in Panaitan Island later this year. I have heard of this place to be a surfer’s paradise, but my information on this place is minimal. Can you help me get hold of more information on this island? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

jwoods

Post by jwoods » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:24 pm

Hello
I spent there 1 week. And It was awesome.
You right, Panaitan Island is surfer’s paradise.