Bali on a Budget

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

WIDG
Grommet

Bali on a Budget

Post by WIDG » Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:06 am

Having been able to scrounge $1,500.00 or so, what would be the best way to get to and stay in Bali for a week or so. The accom. would have to be decent, we're there for surfing not too much raging. Any suggestions around the Cangu area?? Looking at going around April.

dools

Post by dools » Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:49 am

try Sunnies House at Kuta which is cheap (i THINK that we pay about $5 a night but might be more now) They are heaps nice and you get b'fast. Also you can hire cars off em. They are honest. Good backpacker style accom. check it out. You prolly have to ask Jim by email who lives there about details. He's pretty cool and can hook u up with charters.
Go to his site at www.baliwaves.com
Cheers. Dool.

Bunker Spreckles

Post by Bunker Spreckles » Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:57 pm

Keep away from Cunguu-is one bloody good suggestion.
Way too limited as far as surf options go and it's onshore by 11am on most days.

Stay out at the Bukit-or just get a flight with some nancy acommodationn in town if that's to your taste-but better off staying away from Kuta in my crusty opinion.

Bunks

filthbarrel
regular

Make sure you have the $ for Visa

Post by filthbarrel » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:28 pm

From today's Sun-Herald

[u]Indonesian visa fee for tourists[/u]

02feb04

AUSTRALIANS will have to pay up to $33 for a visa to enter Indonesia.

The Indonesian Govern ment has reversed a law allowing foreigners from 20 countries free entry amid claims it had been abused by people working illegally. The changes took effect yesterday.
Tourists from the 20 countries will have to pay $13 for a maximum stay of three days and $32.90 for a 30-day visa.

Australia is among the countries to be included.

Only citizens from Bru nei, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Morocco, Peru, Vietnam and Chile as well as those with Hong Kong and Macau passports will continue to enjoy visa-free privileges.

Plans to reintroduce the visa fee have been delayed several times after protests from Indonesia's tourism officials who fear it will further discourage foreign tourists.

That's no disincentive, but in terms of recipricol arrangements -do Indos need visas for Australia and if so, how much do they cost?

Matey, 1500 is plenty for Bali. If you don't get on the drink, don't go silly on banchongs and don't want to fill your cases with pirate dvds and bogus software -although I can't resist the cost of the software meself. Get ye out of Kuta and down to see the Nyomans at Bingin. Canggu worth giving a miss -you can score some good waves there but it's not far from a poo outlet and ya can get yeself a poxy ear. Went thar once with me backward son Darryl and he got himself a nasty dose of surfer's ear.

And me son, do not think it will be uncrowded -it will be mega crowded -although April aint June July or August. Get ye some booty action.

aaarh, ye be havin' a magic time.

Nikko
regular

Post by Nikko » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:47 am

Mate you'll kill it no probs!!
Agree about canguu, nice wave on its day but theres so much better.
Bingin used to be free but now it costs something, not much admittedly but its not the decent accom your refering to.
Try up the hippy end of town (Legian/Seminyak) for modest rates but do the surf check out the front and plan on a reef or two. Get bargining and you'll love it all!!!
Best deal I 've seen lately is the Guaruda $799 twin share for a week in a in fairly decent place.
Sux about the visa stuff though...
Oh Yeah, never give the cops any more than 50 000 rph for any mistaminer... My trick is to fold up a 10 000 note in your licence (If you have one) so when he opens it up he can see you wink at him and tell him "Yes sir, I'll be careful, hati hati".
You'll have a ball mate.
It's all good.
"No matter what happens; it will always be alright".

hazrus

Post by hazrus » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:31 pm

Whatever you do, DO NOT STAY AT SUNNY HOUSE!!!

Such a rort, wrong end of town (except access to kuta/middle reef). For the accom you get, you could stay in a real hotel with aircon in poppies lane 2. I stayed there in 2002 season and had to sleep on the floor of their living room on my boardcover. Sunny STILL charged me 50,000 Rp. for the first night!!! My mates and I found a little place in North Kuta with aircon, cheap food, bar and pool (not that I needed that!) next to the beach in a quiet street for the same price after some bargaining. So much better than being stuch in noisy sunny house.

Despite that, I met Jim (Sunny's bloke) from baliwaves.com while I was at sunny house and he hooked me and my mates up with a sweet boat trip around lembongan/lombok/sumbawa for cheaper than street price, with great crew and food. I would definitely recommend going on a trip organised by baliwaves.com, but find your own accom if you can.

That being said, find somewhere for a night, then walk around the next day and bargain your way into some cheap accom in a location you think is ok. Legian is great if you want quiet accom, and it is so easy to organise trips to the reefs from there.

Howie

Bali on a budget

Post by Howie » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:33 pm

Suji Bungalows - Poppies Lane 2. General good jump off for surf - well priced and a good pool.

BEN

Post by BEN » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:45 pm

where is the best place to stay in bali for a 19year old bali virgin, with little reef experience but wants to give it a shot.
basically i want easy access to beach, no poo in water, fun waves that i dont usually get at home etc etc
where abouts in bali!!!1 i need help!

roscoediboscoe
regular

Post by roscoediboscoe » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:30 pm

You should be able to get a package for about $900 at the moment - flying Air Paradise - that would give you $600 to spend - should be able to have a great time on $50 a day.

I would suggest the Green Garden at Tuban - Right in front of Kuta Reef - right on Jalan Kartika - plenty of drivers willing to take you up the Bukit.

Plenty of cheap Restaurants - Waterbom Park (much fun) - loads of cheap shopping - walking distance to the heart of Kuta

You could also spend a few days at Dreamland. (very cheap accom. great place to chill out with the girl)

Shit I wanna go back NOW !!!!!

Nikko
regular

Post by Nikko » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:55 pm

Yep; it's shit hot.........
:wink: