Maldives surf trip...

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

spork
barnacle

Re: Maldives surf trip...

Post by spork » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:52 pm

Im off to the Maldives again in Sept, and its a week at Lohis and a week at Kandooma in the southern atolls. Any of you crew been down there, whats the wave like? I hear there is also a crappy left on the other side too, anyone?
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:43 am

Went to kandooma for 5 days at the end of a boat trip in Aug 2012. Not enough swell and only surfed once the day before we flew home. Tore my medial ligament - beware the backwash at wave's end on high tide. That left looked like it would be fun if it was bigger

We went there because 3 of us took non surfing partners on the boat and thought they might be going nuts afterwards. My wife and I had never done a resort holiday before. More expensive than we're accustomed to, but lazing about was quite enjoyable

Fun watching Asians learn to snorkel in the pool. Waist deep water and life jackets. I never got tired of it
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:50 am

Maldives has never been at the very top of my surf destination list however that Cokes Camp looks like it could be ok. Chickens looks like the wave I would want to surf as a priority if I was to go to the Maldives. Anyone stayed at Cokes?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:27 am

After the trip (above), one of the guys stayed at Cokes for a week. Said it was ok. Nothing flash, but who needs that? They clear urchins to make a path in/out of the water. One night, we surfed Cokes 'til dark and had to walk across the island to our anchored boat. I stood on an urchin. Spine went through my reef boot

Because it's inhabited by Maldivians, you can't drink alcohol if that's an issue

Our guide said Chickens was his favourite wave. I surfed it heaps as I was the only goofy on our trip and Cokes was quite crowded due to there not being enough swell for the sthn atolls. Fun as fcuk at 3-4 ft, but would love to surf it bigger

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:02 pm

Fcuk the Maldives and the tinpot, authoritarian regime that now restricts access to intermediate level breaks.

Not that I've ever felt an urge to go there, but I wouldn't go now if someone paid me.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:22 pm

I'm with you on that. Sort of pissed me off that the Lohis boat would roll up at Cokes and Chickens, but I couldn't surf down there if I'd wanted to

How can't they realise it's detrimental. Soon enough, every wave will be exclusive. Then, there's no boat operators and no variety available. Can't imagine ever going back, but if someone paid me ............

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:43 am

Excellent! all the more for me then. Nah, I agree with you, but having talked at length with Sean Levins (world Surfaris) and Richard Kotch (Guide/photographer) it was always going to end up that way because of the violent and abusive behaviour of some of the surfers when it gets really crowded. The owners are sick of the intimidation and verbal abuse from some guests who complain of packed line ups and not getting enough waves despite having paid big money to surf there. The owners of Hudhuranfushi decided the only way to curb the problem is to restrict access to the island. All you doomsayers may not like it, but on the upside it means that waves like Chickens, Cokes, Jails etc. will therefore have less surfers as there will be fewer on the boats from the resort. During peak season it was not unusual to have 60-70 surfers on the island and that was always going to lead to problems. The move to building a resort at Sultans/Honkeys comes from a slightly different perspective. The Maldivians watch as thousands of surfers turn up every year, get off the plane, onto a boat and then back on the plane. Apart from the consumables the boats use and a few local crew there is virtually no income for the Maldivian economy. Putting in a resort means employment for local people, and a huge boost for the economy. I pretty sure that eventually that Indonesia will go down the same track, after all, they are a poor country with a valuable resource the can utilise.
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:05 pm

Paging Donweather..

Time for my yearly pilgrimage.

I'm at Pasta Point from Feb 22 to 31.

How the charts lookin?

I predict 6-8 and perfecto.. :-)(
Erase.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:08 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:38 am

Got back last week.
As far as I could tell, Sultans Honkys and Jails were open to all, as usual, and nobody but resort guests were surfing Pasta, as usual.
Confusion reigned regarding what will happen and when, including from government sources (heard second hand), was even told the planned resort on Sultans/Honkys will now not proceed.
No great surprise given yet another coup and military rule since last Nov, and elections happening while I was there..
Erase.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:19 pm

I remember thinking it was like paradise in male when we went for our honeymoon. Then we saw the parliament building surrounded by armed guards. Found it hard to believe an idyllic place like that could be unstable.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:27 am

How are the crowds these days?

Six boats at each break?

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:40 am

tootr wrote:How are the crowds these days?

Six boats at each break?
Early season. No other boats at dawn, sometimes none all day, max of 3
:-)(
Erase.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:43 am

Is that $2,560 for a 7 day charter!!!!

Edit: Just checked out the boat....OK, that's Versace on water!!!!

Elmako
Grommet

Post by Elmako » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:50 pm

Just came back from a 11 day trip on board of the Hamathi, if you are stuck on the Northern Atolls, be ready for 4 boats on each break, however if your boat can and will travel to Central and South Atolls, be ready for some super fun uncrowded waves with just you and the crew on your boat.

This trip I did was a special edition of the Hamathi which started north and we sailed through the central and southern atolls ending up in Laamu and then flying back to Male (northern atolls).

I could see how crowded the north is and once you hit the road, no one around. we surfed 9 days with just our crew, perfect 3 to 5 foot waves. Luckily we only spent 1 day up north.

Cheers

J