Maldives surf trip...

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Jorgo
Local

Re: Maldives surf trip...

Post by Jorgo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Dont ya just love that lunch session when between 12-2 you are sure to get a few by yourself or a few others!! Looks just fine eh there Spork and no booties too. Saw a few guys with sea urchin issues rather than coral. Actually the coral at the blue ramp was pretty worn and not too bad

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:28 pm

Iv never liked the booties and Im pretty good at getting back to the ramp when i come in, so no probs yet, touch wood. Actually the worst case i saw was a jap guy who had a heap of urchin spines through a boot! it would not have been pretty if he wasn't wearing em. Heres a pic of the little suckers
urchins.jpg
urchins.jpg (65.31 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
We has awesome waves and glass for the second week, check how perfect this is, friday 5thOct.
guide2.jpg
guide2.jpg (49.59 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:08 am

Roy Stewart

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:23 am

Good photos there, spork. Makes me wish I was there. Ok in August, but smallish swell meant too many boats around cokes and chickens. Any of them shots you?
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:37 am

Yeah, the guy on the blue board with the hat on is me, thats bigger in the pic than I remember paddling for!
Roy Stewart

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:41 am

I see that World Surfaris are claiming now that Lohis is for the exclusive use of guests of the resort?!

Anyone have any update to the situation over there?

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:00 pm

Odda - yep I went to Huddanfushi (Lohis) with 5 mates last Sept. We booked through World Safaris and yes only guests staying on the island got to surf Lohis. Part of the deal through World Safaris was two boat trips a day (morning and arvo) either North or SOuth to Sultans, Chickens, Cokes etc.
A tip though - if you were staying on the island and thought you might be one of a few surfers, then think again. There were up to 50 surfers for a few days when we were there (European and Sth American holiday time).
We surfed Lohis most of the time as it was good - and seemed to be picking up more swell than surrounding reefs.
More questions - just com back to me. I think another RSurfer was there a week after me

hotcoffee

Post by hotcoffee » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:50 am

I'm going in june!

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:53 am

I'm back to pasta point at Easter. Hope it's not too early for decent swell....
Erase.

sandfly
Grommet

Post by sandfly » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:29 am

Hi Guys thinking of going to the Maldives with my wife, who doesn't surf and staying at either Huddanfushi (Lohi's) or Dhonavelli (Pasta Point).

Who has stayed at both and which would you choose and why?

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:03 pm

Havent stayed at both - but Lohis last Sept - (read previous posts). Its certainly somewhere you could take your wife and there's enough to keep most reasonable folk well happy. Its not 5 star if thats what you're after - but its a very good 4 star resort. I went with World Safaris and got the Surf Guide and 2 x daily boats trips either north or south.A squash court - a tennis court of sorts - if thats ya bent. Waterwise - of course the surfing and then the snorkelling and scuba and sailing. nice pool.
I'd recommend it for sure and the World Safari ticket include all meals and drinks and there 4 bars around the island and the food was good - not stand out but good and plenty of it as it was buffet style.
Oh and there was a day Spa on the island too for massage etc.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:36 am

Just make sure that your wife is fully prepared to be stuck on a very small and quite boring island, probably by herself for longish periods while you're in the water. If she likes sunbathing, swimming and snorkelling then she'll be fine. If she's anticipating soaking up Maldivian culture she'll be sorely disappointed.

As for the pros and cons of lohis and pastas, I've only been to lohis so can't really comment but a mate has done both and much prefers pastas, as does his wife. He says it's a more relaxed atmosphere, plus it has the benefit of surfer numbers being restricted to 30 (of which a significant number are apparently often middle-aged gath helmeted seppos not overly keen once it gets above 4ft) and being much closer to sultans, jails and honkeys so you get the jump on the morning dhonis coming out of lohis. Also I think pastas is more perfect than lohis, which generally has a couple of sections (although that does spread the crowd out a bit).

The main downside with pastas as far as I'm concerned (being in the UK) is that it's about double the price of lohis once you've paid for your surfer pass (you don't have to pay to surf lohis, though of course you do if you want the world surfaris boat package).
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:51 am

godsavethequeen wrote:
The main downside with pastas as far as I'm concerned (being in the UK) is that it's about double the price of lohis once you've paid for your surfer pass
???????????
A surfer pass?

What kind of rolled gold fcukery is that?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:07 am

Fcuckery indeed. I just checked and it's £2112 for a week with a 'surf pass' or £1575 without. The pass gets you unlimited boat transfers and exclusive access to pasta point, but as far as I know you can't have one without the other.
Beanpole wrote:
Why would I wear a mask?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:12 am

For five hundred I can stay in a cabin at Bobbies for ten days and surf G-land to my hearts content.

Set the wife and chilluns up in a villa at Caanguu or Balian.

gabsouy
regular

Post by gabsouy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:48 am

bit pricey.....2112 sterling =$3202 aus....1575 = $ 2388 aus

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:12 pm

Here's more info about why whitey tends to be kept well secured and innoculated in high-priced resorts well away from real life in the Maldives.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... le/4061322

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:44 pm

They certainly keep a tight rein on visitors. Until pretty recently (maybe still in effect) you couldn't go there as an independent traveller; you had to have accommodation booked. A friend of mine stopped off there when he was sailing to Sydney and they wouldn't let him moor anywhere other than Male or off uninhabited islands.

Lohis wasn't my choice of destination (mate's 40th trip). I was pushing for that place in the Telos that Nick went to. Sterling was pretty strong against your dollar at the time, so we could have done 11 days at the Telo Island Lodge for £1500 ish as compared to the £850 we paid for a week at lohis. Didn't happen though sadly and probably never will.
Beanpole wrote:
Why would I wear a mask?