Fiji in December - am I kidding myself?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Toby Wan
regular

Fiji in December - am I kidding myself?

Post by Toby Wan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:47 pm

So my missus has just become a school teacher and as such my window for overseas holidays has just about closed up altogether - as a results we're hitting Fiji at the start of december for 1 week.

I've heard that the surf isn't ideal at that time of year, but still decent (its not going to be any better in Sydney).
We'll be staying at the northern end of the mamanuca island chain - which doesn't seem to have any local breaks.

The opening up of all surf breaks makes me think that it will be easier than usual, but I still have a few questions about the ability/cost/benefit etc to get to the breaks from where i'm going to be staying.
Its been a long slog (emails back and forth over last 2 months) communicating with the locals in Fiji so I have come here for your advice.

1) Are there any nearby options, or do I need to get a boat to wilkes/cloudbreak etc?
2) Has anyone had experience getting access to these breaks from Northern Mamanuca islands (Amunuca Island Resort to be precise)?
3) Are conditions typically crap in December, or is there a decent chance that there could be some good waves and potentially favourable winds? (hit and miss is fine by me)
4) Am I likely to meet other surfers in the area? I ask this as I'm under the impression they need a minimum number of surfers to bother going from my resort - Amunuca Island Resort.

Im typically a weekend warrior with semi-regular mid-weekers, so I can go a week without surf although it'd be a great opportunity. I have been given the green light for a couple day trips whilst there so would like to take advantage of them if its worth it.

My big question is - will it be worth lugging the board bag all that way if i've got a maximum 2 or 3 days surfing?

Currently i'm definitely leaning towards maybe

pen15

Re: Fiji in December - am I kidding myself?

Post by pen15 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:40 am

I am thinking of going then as well, I would be keen to know if Steve means you could get lucky in terms of a massive swell or that there is nothing at a all unless there is a front, I was there in late August and there seemed to be a constant 3 feet, was this luck Steve or is it like that mostly.
I surfed Nomotu and I loved it , it might have been 4 foot but it was plenty for me. There were 10 people out and 4 of them could not surf.
I am planing to stay at plantation Is, which is pretty near to Nomotu and restaurants so thats my planned surfing spots.
Your Island is a bit further away, so it may cost a bit more, personally i will part with $100 fiji if I have to to surf, but a fool and his money are quickly parted.
The guy who took me out was from a small village called Nabila and he had a few decent looking boards lying around his boat so that might be an option, its pretty near Nomotu.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:57 am

with all due respect, it's hardly a mission to bring a board from Aus to Fiji.
C'mon.
How hard is it to take a single board? Look at the charts before you leave and make a call.
Fiji has an awesome swell window. An open ocean style reef like Cloudbreak would be unlikely to go flat at any time of the year.
It's a no brainer to take a board now that Cloudbreak is open to the public.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Hano
Local

Post by Hano » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:58 pm

As I’m heading over later in the year I’m curious to know how you got on, Pen15 ……anyone???
How’s the place handling the “deregulated” waves? Are some spots now less crowded and has transport to waves become readier?

pen15

Post by pen15 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:41 am

Hi Hano
I was there in September and maybe had 10 people at Nomotu but it was not epic (very fun), 4 were sepo longboard learners. Restaurants might have had 12, no one at swimming pools.
Since the regulations had just changed I dont think it was a factor so much regards to crowds then.
Im going back in July to plantation and I hope it hasnt got to ferral. Its not as cheap as Indo so i think that will keep the crowds down.
Tony

pen15

Post by pen15 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:09 pm

Hi guys
any idea if I can buy beer from the mini mart on plantation?
Any indication of increased crowds yet?

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Thu May 05, 2011 12:03 pm

loofy wrote:Hey guys

I have booked some cheap flights for early november... has anyone surfed there in november, have an idea of the general conditions then

I am hoping the southerly swells will still push through a bit and the winds be a bit lighter, however judging on how spring is here, am a bit concerned it could just be a whole bag of poop!

Cheers
I was over there last November for work and whilst there was waves, there was a shitload of wind to go with it as well. I got the "you should have been here last week" line so it sounds like a roll of the dice to me...

brenno05
Local

Post by brenno05 » Thu May 17, 2012 6:37 pm

Hey guys heading over next wednesday staying at plantation island....couple of questions

1. Does anyone know if they will be showing the state of origin game live on plantation ??? (GO NSW!!)
2. reef booties needed??
3. was thinking one board
4. any other advice.

cheers
Active care for an active lifestyle
Manly Chiropractor
http://www.nbchiro.com.au

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Sat May 19, 2012 4:01 pm

brenno05 wrote:Hey guys heading over next wednesday staying at plantation island....couple of questions

1. Does anyone know if they will be showing the state of origin game live on plantation ??? (GO NSW!!)
2. reef booties needed??
3. was thinking one board
4. any other advice.

cheers
1. email them to find out
2. dont put youre feet down!
3. rookie error
4. since the pro tour circus starts start of june, surf early in youre trip :idea: :arrow: or hassle for scraps :!:

pen15

Post by pen15 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:02 pm

Goin tommoz
even if they did show SOO its on a 20 inch or so. They do show rugby tests so Im guessing they wheeld the TV out for SOO