Hawaiian Airlines - Boards?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

dunnc
regular

Hawaiian Airlines - Boards?

Post by dunnc » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:21 pm

I am looking at flying with Hawaiian Airlines laterr in the year and want to take a few boards with me.
I can see on their site that they charge for flights from the mainland US to Hawaii (USD$100) or between the Hawaiian islands (USD$35) but that is it.I'm hoping that from Sydney it is Free, but has anyone flown with them recently that could set me straight?

Thomo

Re: Hawaiian Airlines - Boards?

Post by Thomo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:14 pm

Travelled to Hawaii with Hawaiian at Christmas from Sydney. I took two shortboards in one coffin bag and did not get charged. The boards count as one piece of luggage each, even in the same bag. I think that you can take one board per person without being charged (one board was my girlfriends), but they will count as one piece of luggage each.

It can also depend on the person at the check in. My brother-in-law got charged $100 US per board on the way back last December, but had not been charged on the way over. Inter-island can vary. I got charged $35US for boardbag to Kauai, and was told it did not matter how many were in there, but they doubled it on me coming back from Kauai, saying it was $35US per board. The policy seems to change depending on the staff member, and they seem to stick it to people on the return flights.

Hawaiian airlines is a budget airline, don't expect in-flight entertainment or quality food, unless you pay $15US for the hand held entrainment player. However the staff are friendly, and I would fly with them again rather than paying extra for Qantas.

From memory, when ordering off the in-flight menu (drinks) the prices are in dollars, but does not specify US, so you can use either, e.g., if a beer is $5, you can pay $5 AUS or $5US, so make sure you have AUS with you as it will be cheaper.

zumabeach

Post by zumabeach » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi Dunnc ... Am travelling Hawaiian Airlines to Honolulu next month on a "take a mate" deal - my mate being my wife - for $1360 return all up for both of us. Includes two meals, all in flight entertainment. Pretty good deal. Checked the board situation and, at least under the tickets we have, each person has a 2 X 32 kg baggage allowance. In other words, you can take a full sized suitcase or whatever plus 32 kg of surfboards for free - as long as nothing is over 11 feet. Again, a pretty good deal. If Hawaiian Airlines aren't sympathetic towards surfers ... who's gonna be? They also have pretty good accom deals across the islands.

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:40 pm

I ended up giving them a call to talk through it, and it appears as though it is free to and from Aus, but limited to two boards per person in one board bag max. Apparently if I want to take more and check them in under my wifes quota (or buy another board when we are over there), it will have to be shoved in another board bag (bummer as I have O&E triple coffin)

Inter island flights are supposed to be a flat $35us (I'll be off to Maui first up).

zumabeach - got the same deals, pretty sweet I thought - worked out heaps cheaper than Jetstar - even compared to a deal we got last year!

The hawaiian airlines girl (oz office) did tell me to call back when i booked to give her the flight details etc as apparently I can through check my gear from Syd all the way to Maui therefore I'll only have to pay the US$35 for the flight back to Oahu. I assume this will be logged on their check in system.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:13 pm

I've noticed that the website says that to and from Australia is free for 2 boards, in the same bag, per person, both ways. As long as the flight is direct to and from it is free.

How many of you out the have used Hawaiian airlines? Are they the same as every other airline when it comes to the risk of damage etc?

Experiences?

We are heading over at xmas time staying in a house in Hauula (northeast coast).
The only info I can find on the place is Pounders beach which doesn't look too promising for surf.
Surfing opportunities will be child dependant, and as I'm pretty much a kook, I'll be steering clear of all the heavy spots so I don't become a statistic.

Are the some quiter more mellow breaks on the NE side of the island that Anyone knows of?
Wannasurf is about the only site that I know of to get any info and it's pretty slim pickings according to the site. I know the locals probably don't want blokes like me in the water, but whatever.

I'll be taking my new 7'7 single fin mid length, 6'4 quadfather, and 6'1 single fin.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:17 am

Hey Jet, I like the east coast as it is a lot less touristy and mellow. There are some good waves one considered as good as pipe ,but that is on an outer reef. There are quite a few, one good one at the golf course and couple you have to walk through a park(free camping) and a left hand point right on the road breaking into a small bay. Good news is it will probably not be crowded, you will need to be hitting it first light as the wind will beat you, there may be the occasional offshore day for that coast but not many.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:22 pm

Thanks Crustt,

Thanks for the heads up.

Ps that board cover you made is still going strong mate!
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:57 am

Another thing if you get a really big west swell, like 30' plus on the north shore I have friend that live in Waikiki and they get quite good waves there and it is pretty uncrowded in winter as the focus is on the north shore.
Nice place for the bub and the missus to sit on the beach and do a bit of shopping while you surf clean 4 to 5 ft waves.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:26 pm

From memory the cost of taking boards to Maui on say Island Air is around $70US each way. I may be wrong but that is what I recall. Just buy any bigger boards you need there.

If you luck into Honolua Bay on a good swell you will count your lucky stars you went accross to Maui. That wave is insanely good on a decent swell.