Getting Boards in India

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

j0nathan

Getting Boards in India

Post by j0nathan » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:04 pm

I'm heading to India next year for a few months but the route I'm taking means it won't be practical to take boards with me.

Does anyone know if boards are available in the Kerala area for a dig at the breaks around there and a possible jump off to Sri Lanka?

Thanks
JP

Hecko
regular

Post by Hecko » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:08 pm

I didnt think that india got that much swell in any case. i'm no expert but i'd think you'd be struggling to get your hands on anything decent while your over there. i could be wrong though...

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:39 pm

found this at

http://www.globalsurfers.com/spot.cfm?l ... el=Kovalam

"Kovalam consists out of three half moon-shaped beaches of wich Lighthouse is the biggest. The waves here are highly consistent and powerfull. In october the wave closes out almost immediatly, but starting from november, lefts and rights start breaking at both ends of the bay, though depending on the conditions, the centre can take over the role of starting point. Besides all the tricks and fun you can imagine pulling off on your board, the possibillity of tube riding joins your addictive dieet. May-june is for experts only, and they better bring guns. Keep in mind that their are only one or two surfboards for hire, so it's better to bring as much with you as possible!!"

filthbarrel
regular

Post by filthbarrel » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:19 pm

I surfed Lighthouse Beach at Kovalam in 1984 -a decent left hander. Tons of Indians used to watch me and one other bloke surf -was there in January of that year. No modern knowledge, but stacks of boards available at both Hikkaduwa and Aragum Bay. Stacks of surfers too -I was last there 4 yrs ago and there are plenty of breaks away from these two Euro infested breaks. Aragum Bay is overated -its as full and slow as a Catholic School bus - but further south and around the corner of the island is another story. Got busted smuggling VHS players at Trivandrum airport and recall the feeling of walking off the plane from Colombo (like I had done 10 times before -this was how I was staying alive then) at Trivandrum and seeing Customs blokes everywhere -went thru the whole plane like a dose of salts. I lost all money and board and clothes - just kept me airticket and passport - oh well, kept me freedom.

j0nathan

Post by j0nathan » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:21 pm

"..but stacks of boards available at both Hikkaduwa and Aragum Bay.."

Sounds encouraging, thanks for your help all

I'll post back if I find any other nuggets of info.

Cheers
JP

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:45 pm

filthbarrel wrote:stacks of boards available at both Hikkaduwa and Aragum Bay
filth, aren't they in Sri Lanka not India?...

filthbarrel
regular

Post by filthbarrel » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:20 pm

Indeedly doodly they are in the Lanka -should have made that clearer as the writer is travelling onto Sri Lanka. Kovalum in India and other spots in Sri Lanka.