Should I go snowboarding in NZ?

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

sammygee

Should I go snowboarding in NZ?

Post by sammygee » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:15 pm

Anyone been skiing/snowboarding in NZ? Is it worth the trip across the Tasman? I keep hearing the snow is so much better there. I'm thinking to take the boys over for a week. Anyone got a recommendation for where to go?

Saw this sweet clip of a guy setting of an avalanche on a snowboard run in Queenstown and its whetting my appetite... Would appreciate any tips...

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeers!
Sammy.....
Last edited by sammygee on Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legge
Grommet

Post by legge » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:42 pm

Yeah i've got the same dilemma. I'm thinking about a 10 day trip with some mates for about 1600 alcohol flight mountain pass ski gear i think all included. Its a 3 or 4 resort pass or something: coronet peak, mt hutt and the remarkables. I've heard one of the problems with skiing there is it gets windy and sometimes half the lifts aren't running, which i guess is the same with any resort. But then i've heard heaps of good stuff and seen the footage. It looks insane. It depends what you like if your into parks then go to Snow park. Basically snowpark is massive jumps half pipes and plenty of rails. What more could you want in a ski trip, just depends what your up for. I've never heard of a triple diamond run till I took a look at one of the terrain maps from there. Pretty gnarly

brenno05
Local

Post by brenno05 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:12 am

where are these packages you are looking at?? me and a mate were thinking of going over, looking at a couple of the packages on the STA website, and ski max i think it is...no idea about queenstown, wanaka ect which is the better slopes or where i should stay..
let me know if you get any info, looking to book in the next two weeks

dez
Grommet

Post by dez » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:20 am

dont bother....over rated....small resorts...remarkables is a joke....take your surf board instead...

smackthatlip
regular

Post by smackthatlip » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:49 am

F$%ken eh you should go. NZ skifields make Oz skifeilds look like an icebox that needs defrosting. I'd definately go the South Island, although Mt Ruapehu (North Island) is good too. Coronet Peak has a cool park and the views are alltime. Queenstown goe's off during the winter. Rich, little ski-bunny sluts everywhere. Great heli-skiing/ boarding too. So yeah; I'd go :!: Message issued by Tourism New Zealand aka smackthatlip. Doing my bit for the GDP :wink:

offshore
regular

Post by offshore » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:54 am

Save the cash and do Japan in Jan or Feb.

It's not that much more expensive than NZ and it's deadset about 100x better.

Other than heliskiing, NZ is rubbish. The resorts are underdeveloped, have featureless runs with no trees, no onsnow accomodation, and crappy access roads.

And they don't really get that much snow. Fresh powder days are rare, and it gets tracked out in about an hour.

Check this out, from Japan in early feb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_R47zwZH04

Epic powder, and no crowds.

dee-r-e
Grommet

Post by dee-r-e » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:07 am

I second offshore. Do Japan, the place is bullshit
2 days
3 nites

Mr_momo_32
Local

Post by Mr_momo_32 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:05 am

new zealand isnt that great, if your not gunna heli-ski, i woudnt bother,

go to japan instead.

umm im always free if u need a budyy.... :roll:

sammygee

Post by sammygee » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:27 pm

Mr_momo_32 wrote:new zealand isnt that great, if your not gunna heli-ski, i woudnt bother,

go to japan instead.

haha sweet ... let's go! Japan looks and sounds awesome, but also much more exy... maybe South Island this year and then see what happens...

offshore
regular

Post by offshore » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:45 pm

sammygee wrote:
haha sweet ... let's go! Japan looks and sounds awesome, but also much more exy...

You've got an extra 6 months to save if you do Japan, and it's really not that much more expensive than NZ.

Lift tickets are $40/day.

timbo85
Grommet

Post by timbo85 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:53 pm

Treble Cone is probs the best resort in the Otago region.
Its only got 3 or 4 lifts but the're new and fast and give access to pretty
sweet terrain, especially if your looking for more out of bounds, ungroomed style runs. Place is pretty epic with fresh snow.
But yeah, if it hasn't snowed for awhile it turns to an ice rink and pretty much blows, also quick to shut down if the winds get too real.
Unlike Australia, most NZ resorts don't have contigency plans for bad weather, like there arn't tree runs or t bars you can ride, & winds can be brutal, much worse than the top of thredbo on the worst of worst days.
Wanaka is a nice place to stay, & gives you quickest access to cardrona, snowpark & TC. There's no bunjy but the lake is nice & there'a a good skatepark, fishing, biking e.t.c
We stay at this hostel http://www.purplecow.co.nz/

Mr_momo_32
Local

Post by Mr_momo_32 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:27 pm

sammygee wrote:
Mr_momo_32 wrote:new zealand isnt that great, if your not gunna heli-ski, i woudnt bother,

go to japan instead.

haha sweet ... let's go! Japan looks and sounds awesome, but also much more exy... maybe South Island this year and then see what happens...
sammy-g im starting to like your way of thinking, lets hit up japan. only problem are the air-fares.... any ideas?

dingoshred
regular

Post by dingoshred » Wed May 07, 2008 10:57 pm

NZ is a bit hit and miss.
If you really want to go southern season, head over to Chile. Than you can even go north and surf while you are there. I have only done one day in Chile, but it was my second best day riding ever (I have done 700 or so days and I'm 21).

Otherwise, I'd say go to Gulmarg in India. Now that I've left the ski industry, cheap destinations will be my choice.

Jetstar Sydney to Darwin - $150
Tiger Darwin to Singaport to Chennai - $250
Air Deccan Chennai to Delhi - $80
Air Deccan Delhi to Srinagar - $70
Bus to Gulmarg

Looking at less than $1000 return including taxes.

Lift ticket $25 per day
Accomodation $15-30 per day (cheapies)
Food like $10 per day

So about $65 per day would be comfortable if you have your own gear.

So a 10 day trip would be about $1650 and some of the best snow in the world. Probably about the same as what you would spend for 10 days in NZ.