MALDIVES

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Carpark King
regular

MALDIVES

Post by Carpark King » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:33 pm

Question for those that have been..

I am thinking of stopping over at the maldives on my way to europe for about a week.

It will cost an extra $600 for the airfare.

I dont want to stay in a commercial super resort or commercial surf charter.

Ideally I want to do it without the big operators because I know how much coin it costs.

Has anyone done Maldives on the cheap? IE stayed in somewhere cheap in Male and bartered with local boat operators to go surf the reefs?

Any help is appreciated? (at the moment im thinking I may be better of saving my money for Southwest france and morocco).

Cheers guys

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:38 pm

Virtually impossible to do Maldives without the commercial charter or resort. It's nothing like Indo in that respect...

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:56 pm

If you can find somewhere to stay on Male you can get boats to Sultans etc - but it will not be cheap. The Maldives is super expensive and a day Dhoni hire will be minimum US$100. Basicall the Maldives are regulated so that the resorts and the charter boats are the only way to legally visit.
It will be cheaper and a better value surfing experience if you get a short North Male chater with one of the local charter operators

Bigtime 7

Post by Bigtime 7 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:10 pm

We booked a charter on a boat called Havelyi, it was $1,050 for 7 nights, all meals and a bottle of water a day. Just need money to buy to beer :D

Check this forum for more info

http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13006

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:22 pm

Bigtime 7 wrote:We booked a charter on a boat called Havelyi, it was $1,050 for 7 nights, all meals and a bottle of water a day. Just need money to buy to beer :D

Check this forum for more info

http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13006
You’ll be wanting more water B7, and funnily enough most people don’t drink that much beer when they are there. Something to do with surfing and tiredness. :D

Bigtime 7

Post by Bigtime 7 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:31 pm

Yeah I'm thinking 5 litres a day, water that is!

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:48 pm

Bigtime 7 wrote:Yeah I'm thinking 5 litres a day, water that is!
We had 3 litres (water) ration :D at Pasta + whatever else you consumed during meals like cordial if I recall correctly, oh and booze. :wink: It adds up and it is bloody hot and most welcome

Funniest thing is you are so hot in the water from the general temp and exertion. Most places you can just immerse yourself to cool off, doesn’t work over there. Water temp is 29 degrees today.

Man I wish I was going!

Quite a nice rum over that way B7, no polar bears though. :D

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:25 pm

I remember when we visited there was an American that was bragging about how he had slipped under the red tape and had all of his travel approved without having somewhere to stay. Had some crazy notion of just striking it up with some family on Male and living it cheap during his stay.

I split my pants laughing when he was sent back on the next plane because he didn't have any prebooked accomodation. Gotta love tourism in muslim countries.8)