Central Coast weekend

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Dingus
Owl status

Central Coast weekend

Post by Dingus » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:00 pm

I want to take a good mate away for a weekend, prob this one coming or the one after, and looking at the Central Coast. What do you guys reckon about somewhere like Toukley? She's only just learning to surf so I'll just be hitting easy beachbreaks so don't worry about that localism crap, there'll be no worries here.

Is that a decent spot for a relaxing weekend, or is there a little town around the Central Coast that's easy to drive to from Sydney and to get a room somewhere for a few days that's better?

Thanks for any help.

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:38 pm

:lol: Thanks mate, but unfortunately she's not that way inclined, if you know what I mean :wink:

Thanks for the reply too, seems Mark Warrens Atlas is more informative on the spot than Nats Surfing & Sailboard Guide for the beginner. I like the look of Norah head stuck out like that, should hopefully pick up most stuff. The Entrance would be my next choice. Wamberal looks ok but the wannasurf wanker brigade try and talk it up as a localised spot.

And as Salty suggested, PMs are welcome too.

jam_freefall
regular

Post by jam_freefall » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:26 pm

Dae wrote:Wamberal looks ok but the wannasurf wanker brigade try and talk it up as a localised spot.
Wamberal/Terrigal isn't localised. In fact you are pretty likely to find a little wave somewhere along that stretch of beach to yourself. I would imagine The Entrance would be the same. And both Terrigal and The Entrance are geared up for tourists so accomodation should be easy to find too.

whitey
regular

Post by whitey » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:07 pm

Depending on what kind of accomodation you were looking for. Up round soldiers beach, would be a good bet. Good caravan park up there, If you wanted somethign more upmarket Terrigal or the Entrance. I wouldn't even bother with Avoca... Too many people for your friend to get a good feel for it, better off on some of the less crowded spots up north. Or round Terrigal bend there are usually some decent waves with few people out.

.Whitey.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:27 pm

I've always had a bugger of a time finding cheap accomodation on the Central Coast. I think its easier now but it wasn't until I started going up for longer family type holidays that I got to know the place.

You can rent cabins at most of the many caravan parks but theyre pretty exy for what they are.

Nth Shelly can be pretty wild when it gets larger with strong rips and of course the shallow rock shelf. The south end near the patrolled beach is safer. A lot of surf schools use it. Theres also a couple of caravan parks there.
Always room for one more at Wamberal.
Soldiers is a nice beach but the locals can be pretty feral.
The beachies at Avoca can be hard to paddle into and easy to misread from my attempts. Good on a solid day but not really a learners wave except when its tiny.

greygrom
regular

Post by greygrom » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:36 pm

Ocean Beach Caravan Park at Umina. Nice gentle waves and nice cabins to rent. It is a very quiet and safe place to spend a weekend but don't go roaming the streets in town at night.

Go for a drive over to Pearl beach for dinner.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:32 pm

greygrom wrote:Ocean Beach Caravan Park at Umina. Nice gentle waves and nice cabins to rent. It is a very quiet and safe place to spend a weekend but don't go roaming the streets in town at night.

Go for a drive over to Pearl beach for dinner.
Agree with one qualification: OB's water is always murky so if the thought of sharks freak out you have been warned! However, as far as I am aware, there have been no shark attacks there.

Umina's also a lower socio-economic area than the rest of the Central Coast. Not necessarily good or bad - depends on your attitudes.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:42 pm

Uminas changing fast but you still need to watch your gear. Its a pretty beach when its offshore. Nice little waves for kids or a mal and sometimes you can gaze out past Lion Island and imagine a wave breaking all the way to shore if there was a sand bank out there. Of course there isn't much chance of that happening. Nice to daydream about it though. :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:21 pm

Not sure where to lock in. I checked up greygroms advice on the Ocean Beach place and the Palm Retreat Treehouse thing looks awesome at the Ocean Beach Resort Park.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:41 pm

Sundae, The Entrance might not be a bad base as there are heaps of beaches within easy drive north or south.

Depends what sort of digs you want but the Waldorf Apartments at The Entance are pretty reasonable for a studio apartment, not sure if they have a minimum stay, they’re on the net. Your guest might have to sleep with you if you promise not to touch any pink bits. :wink: Walking distance to plenty of cafés, restaurants, pub, shops, pelican feeding, blah, blah...

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:21 pm

ric_vidal wrote:Sundae, The Entrance might not be a bad base as there are heaps of beaches within easy drive north or south.

Depends what sort of digs you want but the Waldorf Apartments at The Entance are pretty reasonable for a studio apartment, not sure if they have a minimum stay, they’re on the net. Your guest might have to sleep with you if you promise not to touch any pink bits. :wink: Walking distance to plenty of cafés, restaurants, pub, shops, pelican feeding, blah, blah...
:lol:

Reek,

I don't make those kinds of promises :wink:

Though I think the little tacker could snap me if needed :oops:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:53 am

ric_vidal wrote:.......pelican feeding
NaCl aka Salty wrote:<snicker>
Simple Salty, you take the other half, you have to do some things other than surf.

Man you guys will never learn...

• if you are going on a SURFING holiday, leave the wife/kids at home
• if going on a holiday with ‘others’ who don’t surf, you compromise

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:29 pm

Beanpole wrote:Uminas changing fast but you still need to watch your gear. Its a pretty beach when its offshore. Nice little waves for kids or a mal and sometimes you can gaze out past Lion Island and imagine a wave breaking all the way to shore if there was a sand bank out there. Of course there isn't much chance of that happening. Nice to daydream about it though. :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:
I'd agree that it seems to be a bit of changing area altough still a few too many ferals there.
Frazer park is a good spot to camp & not a bad little wave

Meataxe
barnacle

Post by Meataxe » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:35 pm

Go Bluey's/Boomerang area for sure Dae. I just took my girl up there for 5 days and it was bliss. Beautiful empty beaches, great surf, some restaurants around. Shit all over the Central Coast.

We had some great, well priced, accomodation as well. PM me if you want the link.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:48 pm

mate, toukley is a hole. budgewoi is a hole.
the only good thing up there is the beaches: soldiers, lakes, norah head etc. you'll find good banks for beginners.
no night life. no quality eating establishments. only quality is from fats food outlets.

the entrance has come a long way from the bogan old days. the area has been cleaned up and modernised a lot. HEAPS of apartments to choose from. i take the wife & kids there for a feed occasionally, the kids have a waterfountain thingy there & YOU CAN FEED THE PELICANS (kids & chicks love this)
or
just a little bit south are two good caravan parks with cabins 50 metres from the beach: Blue Lagoon & Shelley

or if you're budget can stretch a lot further, impress her with an apartment at terrigal amongst the gumtrees on Barnhill Rd
or
there are secluded cottages you will find in the NRMA Holiday Guide, from Avoca, Copa to Killcare - she'll melt & you'll get in her pants for sure!
but it will cost you a bit.

i know the owners of a cosy holiday unit on the lake & 100 m from beach at avoca that will be available after easter. if interested i'll PM you the weekend rates. leave your car - you'll walk to the surf, brekkie, lunch, dinner, pub, movies, tennis, skatey ramp, park, aquabikes, kayak on the lake.....bushwalking.....picnic for two.... :wink: :wink: :wink:

austeve
regular

Post by austeve » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:51 pm

matt... wrote:mate, toukley is a hole. budgewoi is a hole.
the only good thing up there is the beaches: soldiers, lakes, norah head etc. you'll find good banks for beginners.
no night life. no quality eating establishments. only quality is from fats food outlets.

the entrance has come a long way from the bogan old days. the area has been cleaned up and modernised a lot. HEAPS of apartments to choose from. i take the wife & kids there for a feed occasionally, the kids have a waterfountain thingy there & YOU CAN FEED THE PELICANS (kids & chicks love this)
or
just a little bit south are two good caravan parks with cabins 50 metres from the beach: Blue Lagoon & Shelley

or if you're budget can stretch a lot further, impress her with an apartment at terrigal amongst the gumtrees on Barnhill Rd
or
there are secluded cottages you will find in the NRMA Holiday Guide, from Avoca, Copa to Killcare - she'll melt & you'll get in her pants for sure!
but it will cost you a bit.

i know the owners of a cosy holiday unit on the lake & 100 m from beach at avoca that will be available after easter. if interested i'll PM you the weekend rates. leave your car - you'll walk to the surf, brekkie, lunch, dinner, pub, movies, tennis, skatey ramp, park, aquabikes, kayak on the lake.....bushwalking.....picnic for two.... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Bugger all that if he's taking his girl all is required is a bit of surf & a sturdy bed !!! :wink:

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:43 pm

If you haven't gone yet, Umina on a rising tide for mals, further north Soldiers. If you just went in a NE swell then hope you had fun :lol: Re some of the above comments, I've been taking a mate who lives up there. He's a "roid type, fully fit, unfortunately he's on an 8'2 glass board. have had no sucess @ Avoca (I've had a ball! Gotta love that point). Copa around the corner you need to paddle out to the point, no good for novice IMO.Shelley is over rated as a novice beach, can get really rippy and it depends on how the banks are and how bog the swell is. Norht Sheeley can be really fun for us, but a 1st timer - pick your day @ Shelley prob 200m nth of the tower. Forget Wameberal, too advanced, The slillion/haven was kinda working on Friday, but swell was too small and a little too much nth in it - beach (Terrigal weel that only works for me whne it's big other wise it just dumps near the shore.

So Umina on a mal or bigger minimal and rising tide (dropping and mid closes out too much)
Soldiers (or one next to it) maybe most options
Avoca mid - low further down from the point, but not as far as shark tower or you'll have lotsa fun with the backwash

Meataxe
barnacle

Post by Meataxe » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:19 pm

Why would anyone go to Umina with a learner? :? It's an ugly beach, the water's so goddamn murky and I've never seen it with decent swell and the locals aren't that friendly either.