Bali - Ideas Wanted

Wondering if there are surfable waves someplace you've never visited? Or have you had an injury and want to compare experiences? Do it here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

bc
charger

Bali - Ideas Wanted

Post by bc » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:28 am

I've been surfing every year in Bali for the last 5 years.
I seem to be settling into something of a routine.
I try to avoid the crowds a bit, and would generally go for a wave that's not quite as good, if it has less crew.
I'm looking for some new spots worth exploring, new cheap places to stay up to about 100,000 rp, things worth doing when the surf is flat, and any hot tips on somewhere to eat/drink.
Anyone? Not looking for secret spots, (unless you're offering)

If anyone is looking for some basic info, I'm happy to return the favour.

Cheers.

Ken Oath
Grommet

waves

Post by Ken Oath » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:01 pm

Hire a car and go for a drive around the island,jump on the ferry to Lombok and drive around,Sumbawa too, you'll find heaps of waves.

aitch
regular

Post by aitch » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:42 am

What time of year do you go BC?

I switched seasons around 2000 and started doing the other side of the island, I found a driver back in 2001 and he showed me a few spots just off the road nth of Sunur and was always keen to go further (the wife, not so much) this year I'm going with the lads and it's time to explore further up that way.

bc
charger

Post by bc » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:11 am

I'm leaving in a couple of days for 3 weeks.

I usually spend some time in Medewi and Dreamland, walking to anything nearby, and getting stupid in Kuta, with day trips to Ulus and Canggu, and a walk up Legian, or a ferry to the reef. I've done a loop around the island during a flat spell, and jumped over to Java and the Gillis.

Lombok might be an option KO, depending on who I meet, and might head further east too.

Keramas etc is worth a look Aitch, not been up that way. Needs a fairly decent swell to start happening, and my last trips have been pretty small.

Google has been my friend, and I'm planning on doing some more exploring this time.

brenno05
Local

Post by brenno05 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:24 pm

me and a couple of mates were thinkin of goin to bali in either late Nov or Feb...i know its the 'off' season as well as the wet season, but what are the chances of waves and the consistency i could expect? is it worth going now?

Nikko
regular

Post by Nikko » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:59 pm

Its always worth going!

:lol:
"No matter what happens; it will always be alright".

Freestyler
regular

Post by Freestyler » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:20 pm

Hey BC and others, I went back to Bali in 2007 for first time in near 30 years, stayed above Bingin/Impossibles and had a great time, plenty of surf, some large stuff at Impossibles. Thinking of headin back in 2008 for a month around May and wondering where you'd stay for that length of time to get some variety in waves, maybe the Bukit for a few weeks and then rebase somewhere else, Lombok? Not that interested in hanging out down around Kuta or travelling by car each day. Gettin lazy in old age and like wakin up and checking surf from bed and getting wet.

el gringo rattis
regular

Post by el gringo rattis » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:00 pm

G'day G'day
Im heading to indo for two months... most likely in july+ august....
I have stayed around legian... but like others i dont want to drive everyday.... how much am i looking at paying to stay at bukit (budget-bed, shower, somewhere i can leave my gear)? i will probably base myself at bukit for 2 weeks then bail elsewhere. Im thinking sumbawa, lombok, java..... anyone have recommendations regarding accomm. at any of these places (or boat charters)? Was also considering a mentawai boat trip towards the end of august.... are there any flight from denpasar to padang? or do you have to fly to singapore?
I have a few mates who are keen to come for part of the trip but im not holding my breathe. They have girlfriends, jobs and the bastards cant save. can you find out who is going to be on your boat? be best to end up with like minded people of similar skill level........
cheers.

el gringo rattis
regular

Post by el gringo rattis » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:11 pm

saltman wrote:Budget at Bukit varies from about $5up per night - plenty of clean homestays between belangan and Ulus just follow the signs on the road or google bukit homestays

There are regular flights from Denpasar to padang via jakarta try booking flights in Bali its about half the price of booking here (approx $300 v $600 return)
cheers saltman. appreciated.

diro
Grommet

Post by diro » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:08 am

re: flights from Bali to Padang. I found that it is best to make the flight reservations to/from Padang once you arrive on Bali at any of the larger general Travel Companies. I paid $150 (US) round trip to Padang from Bali w/ 1 stopover in Jakarta w/ only a few days notice.

The best Travel Company is out on the main four lane road outside of Kuta if you are going South towards the Bukit (will be on your left); can't remember the name.