Pics:North Coast

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

sparky_12
regular

Pics:North Coast

Post by sparky_12 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:28 am

Heres a few pics i took over the last week Travelling

enjoy : )

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:32 am

Hey Sparky, they are awesome pics! :)

Did you go out any of those reefs? 7 & 8 looks awesome.

sparky_12
regular

Post by sparky_12 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:04 am

Coops@DY wrote:Hey Sparky, they are awesome pics! :)

Did you go out any of those reefs? 7 & 8 looks awesome.
i was shooting some friends that day but it was unridable, ill post up the footage later which shows how big it is

stinky_wes
regular

Post by stinky_wes » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:29 am

Nice view from the top of the hill in #14.
I think i might haul my lazy arse up there next time i head up for a surf... if i can be farked (highly unlikely)

stoive
barnacle

Post by stoive » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:09 pm

nice pics, 7,14 for me

HairY_SteveN

Post by HairY_SteveN » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:16 pm

dude...no. 3. that is the worst foto i have ever seen. and all those waves are shit.

Butts

Post by Butts » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Sparky, #14 nice 8)

Crofty
Grommet

Post by Crofty » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:22 pm

Where is number 14??? Place looks amazing!

stoive
barnacle

Post by stoive » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:44 pm

HairY_SteveN wrote:dude...no. 3. that is the worst foto i have ever seen. and all those waves are shit.
here we go again

reggie

Post by reggie » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:41 pm

HairY_SteveN wrote:dude...no. 3. that is the worst foto i have ever seen. and all those waves are shit.
lighten up hairymonster, he's not trying to be a pro. his sister on the other hand :wink:

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:14 pm

Ive said it before, the Port Stephens area is the most useless surfing coastline in NSW. Sure it has potential - but it never reaches it!
So many times all the elements are there, swell - good, wind - offshore, tide - just right, surf - not that good!
So many times I am up there (visting in-laws) and just are skunked for waves when the rest of the East coast is cranking.
It just lacks the right reefs, banks and points that other places have.
I am going to have to ask the in-laws to move to the south coast

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:56 am

Funny you should mention that Bawley Point has similar rocks, Guard.

Bawley is geologically very interesting, its small intrusion of Essexite, a type volcanic balloons of magma that that cystallises to rock forming these nice rounded domes, creating the graduated reefs of the Point and Gillo's.

Port Stephens is similar however the intrusions of Trachyandesite (mineralogically very similar to Essexite) were formed more inside large volcanic pipes. So the shape of the intrusions are large, vertical and blocky leading to crappy reef shapes and a convoluted coastline that does not create gradually sloping points and reefs we need to turn swell in to epic surf.

Sorry, I cant help being a geological nerd sometime.
I think I might have to go back to uni and do my PhD on "Geological control of coastal reef formation and its implications for the shape of surfing waves". It would require at least 3 years of extensive fieldwork!
Right, I am now lookings for a research grant - anyone?

Butts

Post by Butts » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:21 am

barstardos wrote:Funny you should mention that Bawley Point has similar rocks, Guard.

Bawley is geologically very interesting, its small intrusion of Essexite, a type volcanic balloons of magma that that cystallises to rock forming these nice rounded domes, creating the graduated reefs of the Point and Gillo's.

Port Stephens is similar however the intrusions of Trachyandesite (mineralogically very similar to Essexite) were formed more inside large volcanic pipes. So the shape of the intrusions are large, vertical and blocky leading to crappy reef shapes and a convoluted coastline that does not create gradually sloping points and reefs we need to turn swell in to epic surf.

I think I might have to go back to uni and do my PhD on "Geological control of coastal reef formation and its implications for the shape of surfing waves". It would require at least 3 years of extensive fieldwork!
You'll need an assistant to help document :wink:

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:38 am

barstardos wrote:Funny you should mention that Bawley Point has similar rocks, Guard.

Interesting stuff B-man. You got any info on the Great Lakes area? Cos all the headlands from Forster Main Beach to Treachery have similar characteristics (sloping sedimentary layers) that aren't found in the wider area. As you would well know, that stretch of coast is renowned for good waves. There are however, no good point breaks (Seal Rocks & Haydens aside), nor reef breaks. Seems to me the type of rock is conducive to having deep water just offshore cos the headlands drop off very quickly. This would explain why there are no point breaks.

Also, the coast has many turns and faces different directions. I've wondered if that was due to the type of rock in the area.

Your 2nd Assistant
2nd Reef.

muggo
regular

Post by muggo » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:30 am

Nice, some heavy waves there!

A tip: try and keep the horizon horizontal

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:38 am

Now you got me started 2nd research assistant. The Great lakes area geologically within the New England fold belt, a very complex region extending all way up in to Qld. Even worse, it was the subject of my Honours thesis in geology!
Breifly, this region has been formed by the accretion of oceanic rocks and island arcs to the Australian continent between 540My and 220My. The end result is broad band of tightly folded rocks, many of very different types quite close together.
In the Great Lakes region the rocks are not so tightly folded, they are Permian sediments that form sometimes thick beds including sandstones and where they are not vertical, or gently dipping you can gets some OK reefs - but not many.
Other areas with vertical thin bedded sediments dont get good reefs (eg Batemans Bay or Coffs Harbour).
Areas with gently sloping, medum bedded sandstones seem to get excellent reefs (eg Sydney, Shellharbour, Ulladulla). In this case DY Point and Cronulla Point should be considered bedrock reefs, not Points
Sand and Boulder Points are a whole different issue and relate more to coastal geomorpholgy and sediment flow rather than bedrock reef shape.

mad
charger

Post by mad » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:53 am

B'os, like to here you're take on what I think is the basalt based points up on the far north coast, which emanated from the Mt warning flows.

Have you got any links on this stuff :?:

I've also recently read claims that tsunami action has influenced the shape of some of the north coast coastline south of Byron, pointing to scars and scouring as examples. Never chased up the info at the time unfortunately

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:05 pm

How about some lyrical waxing on Vics reefs guys?