Worst/Best Aeroplane Experiences

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:25 pm

Ringmaster wrote: and the rest, as they say, is history :roll:
RM, can we have a history lesson please, for all I know you got drunk and fell asleep,

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:54 am

again smnmntl, GRAVELY disappointed :lol:

seeing your name next to the "most recent post" in this thread caused me to expect an account of a round the world trip sandwiched in seat 75E between three 16-year-old bodyboarders, all with computers playing endless dvds of your favourite sport...

you've set the bar buddy. Now come on, jump over it.

zingomar
regular

Post by zingomar » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:06 pm

Out of the blue I had one of those incredibly vivid dreams about being in a plane crash.

A full on speed dive into a mountain. The feeling was very intense - just a plane full of freaked out people like on the speed run down a massive roller coaster.

I woke up knowing exactly what the real thing would be like - interesting to know the unknowable and still be alive.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:31 am

what a cracking thread. almost all my flights so far have been uneventful, just one comes to mind when i was eighteen to saint petersburg with small group of sydney kids on cultural exchange thing on first leg of which somehow struck it off with great-looking but in many ways odd sort of girl from north shore private school and on stopover in china had breath taken away when from sock on her foot she produced small block of hash proceeding to roll one up for us to smoke as we lay side by side on bed in darkened hotel room on seventeenth floor overlooking late-night beijing.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:02 am

alas lost touch soon after settling into different parts of saint petersburg but in years since many's the time i've remembered and marvelled at my fleeting acquaintance with that bold and worldly girl and wondered what became of her and whether we'd ever meet again.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:56 pm

smnmntl wrote:
salty wrote:I was floating and looking down at myself from above. I presume I was looking at my dead body. It was totally spun out. I woke up a moment later... alive!!
...how do you know?
descarte >>>>>>>>>>>quo ergo sum " i think therefore i am"

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:58 pm

i've remembered and marvelled at my fleeting acquaintance with that bold and worldly girl and wondered what became of her and whether we'd ever meet again.
Chapelle's fine but regrets her last trip OS.

vb
Local

Post by vb » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Zurich to Bangkok. Swiss Airlines. Security at Zurich Airport was so tight they even made me take the staples out of the booklet I was carrying. However, half way into the flight stewardesses start sticking flags on the empty seats which would be filled on the Bangkok to Singapore leg. The flag sticks were about eight inchess long, stainless steel and sharp as ... beat a box cutter any day if you were so inclined

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:50 pm

smnmntl wrote:
kreepykrawly wrote:
smnmntl wrote:
salty wrote:I was floating and looking down at myself from above. I presume I was looking at my dead body. It was totally spun out. I woke up a moment later... alive!!
...how do you know?
descarte >>>>>>>>>>>quo ergo sum " i think therefore i am"
It was cogito ergo sum

And Descartes was a wanker

I submit that salty has died and gone to hell only he doesn't realise, kinda like that guy in Jacobs Ladder.
f-ck your right. o well .....im not as perfect as you think i am.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:04 pm

I love Singapore Airlines. Great service, neat hosties and they were one of the first to have personal TV screens in the back of every seat. Only one problem with that was the kid who sat behind me from Singapore to London playing the computer games all the way. Every time he got bombed/died? he threw a tantie, kicking the crap out of the back of my seat. I put up with it until somewhere over the Caspian Sea and blew my stack ( wife not happy with me) but it pulled him into line until France. Oh he and his mother were Asian and didn't seem to understand a word of English but I think the waving fist and tone of voice worked.
We flew KLM once, too. "never gonna fly with that lot again". Rude, brutish hosties, poor service and they turfed us off in Singapore to make room for some (Dutch) people after a seating screw up in Schipool. Not happy Jan.
Unlike an earlier correspondent, I have nothing but praise for Air Canada. Have flown with them many times, out of London, across Canada and across the Pacific to Sydney.
Trust the Irish. Flew Air Lingus from Heathwow to Dublin once and they made us put our folding umbrellas in our check in luggage. :"orry they have too many sharp points". Then after we went through to the gate lounge, gues what you could buy in the gift shops before you got on the plane?

fong

Post by fong » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:07 am

SDC
regular

Post by SDC » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:25 am

Makes you wonder in this current climate of air travel that someone would be so stupid to light matches on a plane. Personally, I just let em rip, not worth getting a gut ache over worrying about what someone thinks of your stench.

When we departed to HK last week, we got to the front of the queue to check in and I noticed a bag sitting at the front, I alerted the check-in chicky and she went straight over and asked who left it there. Then someone wondered up to claim it - it freaked me a bit, as with all the hype of leaving unattended bags of airports etc.

Some of the stories here have been absolutely mind blowing, I'm glad I've never been put in some of those situations. I think the stench from my daks after some of those events mentioned would certainly surpass any flatulance issues on planes.

We had a pretty average overnight flight back yesterday from Hong Kong with one of my groms having about 1/2 hour sleep and our youngest only about 3 hrs.

As happened last time on an overnighter from Asia, all the lights were out and for some reason we always seem to get that one FarkWit in next row who has to sit there and read, with the lights on making it difficult to try and get some sleep. I'd had enough after awhile and asked them to turn the light off as my groms were keen to try and sleep. I think the tone of my voice ensured they were keen to turn the lights off. To top it off as we landed my youngest hurled her guts out, then of course the 2 hours to get out of Sydney Airport were most pleasant.

Although having said that, it is worth the hassle to get back to Oz after being in the Hong Kong rat race (If you've ever been to Mongkok you'll know what I mean). I went down to Tai Long Wan for a surf, and being 'keen as' to go for a surf (closing out a bit with a bit of size) I was disappointed to see the beach was taken up by the local "360 surf" contest.

Sarge
regular

Post by Sarge » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:52 am

Bali to lombok 1999.
Got in this tin can, that sat on runway for 1hr. They got the lump of &%#$ off the ground and we buzzed the 20 mins to lombok. Came swooping into the airport at some un believiable angle and the dude has slapped it down on a ten cent piece, frightening the shit out of everyone. Happy to be alive we jumped out to notice smoke from one engine and two flat tyre's on the same side as the smoking engine. Have never been so freaked out.